Coronavirus - Page 387 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

1 hour ago, Lamia said:

Hopefully it won't start to rise as more older people catch it.

Those were the words of caution that Whitty and Valance were stressing yesterday.  Up until now it had been largely spreading through younger people so they’re not sure if the lower number of hospitalisations are because it’s a milder strain or because younger people in general are less likely to get seriously with all covid strains so far or a combination of both.  However, they’re now starting to see it spreading to older age groups which is more of an unknown. 

8 hours ago, aaid said:

Those were the words of caution that Whitty and Valance were stressing yesterday.  Up until now it had been largely spreading through younger people so they’re not sure if the lower number of hospitalisations are because it’s a milder strain or because younger people in general are less likely to get seriously with all covid strains so far or a combination of both.  However, they’re now starting to see it spreading to older age groups which is more of an unknown. 

Hopefully the high vaccine take up in these groups will pay dividends

18 hours ago, daviebee said:

Did it go away?

I found this - https://www.ismp.org/resources/prevent-shoulder-injuries-during-covid-19-vaccinations - it's from The Institute for Safe Medication Practices.  I could've written these fkin symptoms myself.  At the chiropractor today and they told me there's been quite a few folk complaining about the same thing.

Pretty much comes and goes tbh, but I am nearly 60 now so taking that into account too

Are there any concerns that with the huge number of cases, further mutations will develop and oust omicron?  Logic tells me that if a new strain develops which, to take an extreme example, kills almost everyone who gets it, it wouldn't spread in the way omicron has because anyone who caught it would die and therefore wouldn't remain in the pool of spreaders.  It seems to me that having everyone catch a virus would however increase the likelihood of the next Greek letter being needed.  Once we get to omega, we're in real trouble.

20 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Are there any concerns that with the huge number of cases, further mutations will develop and oust omicron?  Logic tells me that if a new strain develops which, to take an extreme example, kills almost everyone who gets it, it wouldn't spread in the way omicron has because anyone who caught it would die and therefore wouldn't remain in the pool of spreaders.  It seems to me that having everyone catch a virus would however increase the likelihood of the next Greek letter being needed.  Once we get to omega, we're in real trouble.

Omicron is the 15th letter in the Greek alphabet. 

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Omicron is the 15th letter in the Greek alphabet. 

Aye, we went from delta to omicron without most folk even noticing. They used up 10 greek letters on variants of interest which never had much impact. Not in this country anyway. We could get to omega and beyond before we see a new variant that can out compete omicron. We just have to wait and see what happens next.

8 minutes ago, phart said:

Haven't 24 NHS trusts in England declared critical incidents?

Yes but there are 137 of them in total so we need to get things into context and anyway they’re often very busy in the winter so it’s all okay, or so said Michael Green Grant Schapps this morning when he was doing the media rounds.

tbf Novak comes across as pretty stutue scientifically

In his book Serve to Win, Djokovic described how in 2010 he met with a nutritionist who asked him to hold a piece of bread in his left hand while he pressed down on his right arm. Djokovic claims he was much weaker while holding the bread, and cited this as evidence of gluten intolerance.

And during an Instagram live, he claimed that positive thought could "cleanse" polluted water, adding that "scientists have proven that molecules in water react to our emotions."

7 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

With the dust settling on the newyear restrictions, sturgeon and her welsh counterparts look loke right power hungry, restriction junkies. 

Not sure what data you are looking at. It looks as if Scottish death rates from COVID have been falling, to less than half of those in England over the festive period. (See Carlisle thread for chart)

On 1/5/2022 at 4:16 PM, ParisInAKilt said:

Quite enjoy watching this guys videos 

Just got round to watching this. 

Do you think he voted for brexit? 😉😂

He does explain things very well without going into too much maths, which often puts people off. I liked the bit when he said something like "We just need to get through this winter then everything will be fine". I hope he is right. A bold statement though.

The background to this is that while Chester is obviously in England, the ground is on a trading estate on the outskirts and the English/Welsh border goes straight through their site.  The car park, offices and part of one stand is in England but the rest of the stadium and crucially the pitch is in Wales.   This isn’t unknown so quite why they thought that they didn’t come under the rules set by the Welsh Government and had fans in is beyond me.

https://www.chesterfc.com/2022/01/07/club-statement-3/

54 minutes ago, aaid said:

The background to this is that while Chester is obviously in England, the ground is on a trading estate on the outskirts and the English/Welsh border goes straight through their site.  The car park, offices and part of one stand is in England but the rest of the stadium and crucially the pitch is in Wales.   This isn’t unknown so quite why they thought that they didn’t come under the rules set by the Welsh Government and had fans in is beyond me.

https://www.chesterfc.com/2022/01/07/club-statement-3/

Fukin power hungry Welsh restriction junkies. Whit's the world coming to?

11 hours ago, phart said:

Simply stunning. Should plaster that chart everywhere.

Also emphasises how obsessing over getting younger people vaccinated (through vaccine passports or whatever) is playing around the edges (and in my opinion mainly about blame, prejudice and division). When vaccination drives should be focusing on the last 1% in 50+ who are healthy enough to benefit from a vaccine. 

That being said, how you get old stubborn cunts to do anything though is beyond me. 

45 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Boris has to go. We were unable to go to friends' funerals, yet he personally invites 100 people for a pish up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59930733

F'kin fuming 😡

At that time folk weren't even allowed to go for a game of golf yet he invites 100 folk round for a party. The arrogance is just off the fukin scale.