Coronavirus - Page 384 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

On 12/23/2021 at 8:44 AM, vanderark14 said:

What would you have her do at the start of December? Was there enough info at the start of December to act?

The same names on here would be greetin like bairns no matter what decision sturgeon made

Yea I think the modelling combined with uncertainty at start of December supported lockdown.

If for no other reason than to protect the Ayrshire derby :)

What people think on TAMB doesnā€™t matter.

On 12/23/2021 at 8:41 AM, TDYER63 said:

Since I am not a scientist I will bow to your better judgment.Ā 

Public health decisions are for politicians not scientists. Democracy > >> technocracy IMO.

However I also suspect you are not a politicianā€¦so I take your point!

And I only really bring it up since I think the COVID experience will precipitate a debate regarding whether decisions should be made by experts or the dafties. And I wanted to get my cards on the table early.

#teamdafties

Edited by Morrisandmoo

9 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

We probably need to stop non-symptomatic isolation most of the timeĀ 

The one problem is it might not be wise in the very labour force that is being talked about in that tweet.

Hospitals are full of folk that are high risk from covid. In almost every other industry you're maybe right, it's becomes a real gamble in this case.

4 minutes ago, phart said:

The one problem is it might not be wise in the very labour force that is being talked about in that tweet.

Hospitals are full of folk that are high risk from covid. In almost every other industry you're maybe right, it's becomes a real gamble in this case.

Yeah I can see why it would be an agonising decision for the NHS and care system. Very finely balanced, with lives on the line.Ā 

Ita easier expressing opinions on the internet or in the pub than making the decisions in real life - which hopefully people appreciate.

On 12/31/2021 at 12:53 AM, aaid said:

in other news, hospitalisations in England up by 50% in the last week Ā 

Ā 

Is this true? What were prior week and then following week total hospitalisations? Ā Or do you mean the % of people that are being hospitalised that are testing positive for COVID has increased by 50%.
Ā 

How do hospitalisation rates per head of population compare to prior year averages? Is it drunken festive period shenanigans?

I have not been keeping up to speed with the news.
Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Morrisandmoo

19 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Is this true? What were prior week and then following week total hospitalisations? Ā Or do you mean the % of people that are being hospitalised that are testing positive for COVID has increased by 50%.
Ā 

How do hospitalisation rates per head of population compare to prior year averages? Is it drunken festive period shenanigans?

I have not been keeping up to speed with the news.
Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Ā 

Depends on area, some areas are over 100%. Although it doesn't tell full story, cause prevalence is so large that a lot of people are in hospital for other reasons and then test positive while there.

Cases are falling in younger age groups but still rising in older groups.

There are a lot of moving parts and it might take a while for everything to shake out. Much uncertainty at the moment.

Cases in London probably peaked but also a lot of migration in that area so again hard to pin it down.

In short i'm out of my depth in interpeting all the variables and no one seems certain about anything, well some folk are certain but i don't listen to them.

54 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Public health decisions are for politicians not scientists. Democracy > >> technocracy IMO.

Ā 

If we agree that public health decisions are for politicans then surely that means there is room for debate, for people to make their own judgment and not 'bow down' to others, and, in the context of TAMB, people's opinions on TAMB do count!Ā šŸ˜‰

Thousands of anti-vaccine activists have joined a group running combat training sessions and threatening ā€œdirect actionā€ in a sign that conspiracists have become more radical.

In the past fortnight the group, Alpha Men Assemble, has hosted several meetings for ā€œtraining and strategy tacticsā€, The Times can reveal.

Two more training and strategy meetings are scheduled, one in Brownhills, Staffordshire, on January 8 and another in Motherwell, North Lanarkshire, on January 29.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/antivaxers-threaten-radical-action-after-boxing-drills-on-beach-h3rf9khkq

šŸ˜­

John Oā€™Looney, a funeral director and antivaxer, had been due to speak at the march but is believed to be in hospital with Covid.

seems made up now

Edited by phart

21 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Ā 

Ā 

So I think the answer is itā€™s the second as in - itā€™s the % of people going into hospital for one reason or another (car accidents to respiratory distress) testing positive for COVID? Which just tells you every cunt has COVID, rather than anything about hospitalisations.

Overall hospitalisations have not increased by 50%? Although Iā€™ve no idea if that would be normal this time of year or not!

Hospitilastion data is so hard to make heads of tails as it is partly rubbish data and you have so many folk (deliberately or otherwise) muddling it up (including very senior Ā personnel in the NHS and government).

Edited by Morrisandmoo

32 minutes ago, exile said:

If we agree that public health decisions are for politicans then surely that means there is room for debate, for people to make their own judgment and not 'bow down' to others, and, in the context of TAMB, people's opinions on TAMB do count!Ā šŸ˜‰

Donā€™t worry Tyder wasnā€™t bowing down to anybody. She was just semi-politely saying that neither of us really know the answer and she couldnā€™t be bothered listening to me nipping her heed for days about what I think the answer is.Ā 

Wholeheartedly agree that it is for folk to make up their own god damn minds, to say as much (on the TAMB or anywhere else) and vote accordingly.

Whether they are a scientist or an unqualified conspiricay theorists. They can all have a go and the demos will decide in the end. Most of the time we get it right*
Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

*in the end.
Ā 

51 minutes ago, phart said:

Thousands of anti-vaccine activists have joined a group running combat training sessions and threatening ā€œdirect actionā€ in a sign that conspiracists have become more radical.

In the past fortnight the group, Alpha Men Assemble, has hosted several meetings for ā€œtraining and strategy tacticsā€, The Times can reveal.

Two more training and strategy meetings are scheduled, one in Brownhills, Staffordshire, on January 8 and another in Motherwell, North Lanarkshire, on January 29.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/antivaxers-threaten-radical-action-after-boxing-drills-on-beach-h3rf9khkq

šŸ˜­

John Oā€™Looney, a funeral director and antivaxer, had been due to speak at the march but is believed to be in hospital with Covid.

seems made up now

šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚Ā Alpha Men Assemble, that's just too fucking goodĀ Ā šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

As for John O'Looney, this has to be a copy/paste from The Onion, I refuse to believe otherwise.

21 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Donā€™t worry Tyder wasnā€™t bowing down to anybody. She was just semi-politely saying that neither of us really know the answer and she couldnā€™t be bothered listening to me nipping her heed for days about what I think the answer is.Ā 
Ā 

šŸ˜…

Ā 

21 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Whether they are a scientist or an unqualified conspiricay theorists. They can all have a go

Just about, though I think there's a debate to be had about some 'theories' [I mean quack health advice] that could be harmful, on a public forum, but probably for another day, or another thread...

Edited by exile

I thought this was a really good point to counter the "it is only dangerous to the old and those with underlying health conditions" who think because they don't fall into this category they are all right jack!

Ā 

Screenshot 2022-01-02 at 22.38.06.png

12 hours ago, Morrisandmoo said:

However I also suspect you are not a politicianā€¦so I take your point!

And I only really bring it up since I think the COVID experience will precipitate a debate regarding whether decisions should be made by experts or the dafties. And I wanted to get my cards on the table early.

#teamdafties

šŸ˜‚Ā 

I have no idea why you suspect I am not a politician, nope, no idea at all šŸ˜Š

I might vote for you. As far as TAMBERS go I would definitely not put you in the John Oā€™Loony gang territory . Though I occasionally think you could be another reincarnation of Chripper so may need to consider my options before diving in .Ā 

I know absolutely fook all about anything really so my opinions dont really matter that much . I dont have a huge amount of sympathy in general for politicians but in my view these folk fall into the ā€˜jack of all tradesā€™ category, Ā most of the time they just need to deal with the general day to day Ā running of the country, which involves being moderately proficient in a variety of areas. Ā They are no better qualified at dealing with a pandemic than the next guy , and we can only vote for those willing to stick their head above the parapet. Its easy for folk to pick faults or say they can do better when they know fine well they will never need to. The government need to rely on the advice of various experts , many of whom are contradicting each other.

I also know there are a number of people out there Ā who get paid as much money as senior politicians do , for moving figures around spreadsheets , which brings things back into perspective for me too. Ā 
Ā 

Anyway, I know you know all this , I am only rambling on at 9.30 am on a miserable Monday morning as I made my way to work thinking I was working only to find out its a holiday for 1 Jan šŸ˜«

Ā 

Ā 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

šŸ˜‚

I have no idea why you suspect I am not a politician, nope, no idea at all šŸ˜Š

I might vote for you. As far as TAMBERS go I would definitely not put you in the John Oā€™Loony gang territory . Though I occasionally think you could be another reincarnation of Chripper so may need to consider my options before diving in .Ā 

I know absolutely fook all about anything really so my opinions dont really matter that much . I dont have a huge amount of sympathy in general for politicians but in my view these folk fall into the ā€˜jack of all tradesā€™ category, Ā most of the time they just need to deal with the general day to day Ā running of the country, which involves being moderately proficient in a variety of areas. Ā They are no better qualified at dealing with a pandemic than the next guy , and we can only vote for those willing to stick their head above the parapet. Its easy for folk to pick faults or say they can do better when they know fine well they will never need to. The government need to rely on the advice of various experts , many of whom are contradicting each other.

I also know there are a number of people out there Ā who get paid as much money as senior politicians do , for moving figures around spreadsheets , which brings things back into perspective for me too. Ā 
Ā 

Anyway, I know you know all this , I am only rambling on at 9.30 am on a miserable Monday morning as I made my way to work thinking I was working only to find out its a holiday for 1 Jan šŸ˜«

Ā 

Ā 

Doh !Ā Ā šŸ˜„