Coronavirus - Page 207 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

One of the problems of the COVID restrictions is that it is too much a blanket ban on certain activities and does not allow a moderate amoount of something that is really important, where you'd be happy to be allowed to do a modest amount of one thing while giving up other things.Ā 

What if there was a system of credits - maybe mediated by an app, say - which allowed you to 'save up' and then 'spend' some 'credits' on certain activities, at times and places of your choosing?Ā 

So for example, if your one 'guilty pleasure' was going for a wee whisky on a Friday night in your local pub, you could save up all your credits to spend on that, while not spending any 'credits' on travel, eating out, going to the gym, etc. Or someone else might choose their credits to go on daily lunch in the cafe. Or someone could spend all their weekly credits on travel, or going to their gym, etc.

Different credits might fluctuate at different times and place - so it would be more expensive right now to spend in a bar in Glasgow than in Aberdeen, depending on level - even by time of day etc.

It would need a system to be able to swipe someone's phone, to deduct the credits, at point of purchase, or maybe could be done by online ordering too. There could be adaptations for those without smart phones/internet access. Maybe the bar has a 'tab' for you, and they do the electronic part for you. Or vouchers for some groups (remember luncheon vouchers?). And different groups of population could be given different credits maybe, so those with greater needs could get more credits. Or they (e.g. children, elderly) could show a card and show they don't need to use any credits at all.

There would need to be safegauards against superspreading events. (no point the whole country saving up and blowing it all at Hogmanay). But otherwise it could try to work things out so that statistically on average it allowed more people to do more things while on average causing less risk.

Obviously I haven't thought it all through, I'm sure there must be holes in the idea but I just wonder if something couldn't be done along those lines, to get a more responsive, tailor made regime that people might feel more in control of their lives and more likely to comply.Ā  (On the other hand someone might say it's an even more sinister kind of state persuasion!)

Ā 

1 hour ago, exile said:

One of the problems of the COVID restrictions is that it is too much a blanket ban on certain activities and does not allow a moderate amoount of something that is really important, where you'd be happy to be allowed to do a modest amount of one thing while giving up other things.Ā 

What if there was a system of credits - maybe mediated by an app, say - which allowed you to 'save up' and then 'spend' some 'credits' on certain activities, at times and places of your choosing?Ā 

So for example, if your one 'guilty pleasure' was going for a wee whisky on a Friday night in your local pub, you could save up all your credits to spend on that, while not spending any 'credits' on travel, eating out, going to the gym, etc. Or someone else might choose their credits to go on daily lunch in the cafe. Or someone could spend all their weekly credits on travel, or going to their gym, etc.

Different credits might fluctuate at different times and place - so it would be more expensive right now to spend in a bar in Glasgow than in Aberdeen, depending on level - even by time of day etc.

It would need a system to be able to swipe someone's phone, to deduct the credits, at point of purchase, or maybe could be done by online ordering too. There could be adaptations for those without smart phones/internet access. Maybe the bar has a 'tab' for you, and they do the electronic part for you. Or vouchers for some groups (remember luncheon vouchers?). And different groups of population could be given different credits maybe, so those with greater needs could get more credits. Or they (e.g. children, elderly) could show a card and show they don't need to use any credits at all.

There would need to be safegauards against superspreading events. (no point the whole country saving up and blowing it all at Hogmanay). But otherwise it could try to work things out so that statistically on average it allowed more people to do more things while on average causing less risk.

Obviously I haven't thought it all through, I'm sure there must be holes in the idea but I just wonder if something couldn't be done along those lines, to get a more responsive, tailor made regime that people might feel more in control of their lives and more likely to comply.Ā  (On the other hand someone might say it's an even more sinister kind of state persuasion!)

Ā 

The principal of that makes sense as different people are missing different things ,Ā but I think at this stage it may be too much hassle and take up too much time to implement.Ā 

49 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

The arseholes who drank in the pub as normal without social distancing are the same arseholes having drink parties in the house. Cnuts getting all the restaurants closed for the rest of us.

They will be the people moaning the most about the restrictions.Ā 
I am missing going out for something to eat and for a few drinks, cannot believe we have a huge match soon and have to watch it at home.Ā 
If I watch any more TV I think I actually will get square eyes. I bought singing lessons for 9 quid today on Living Social, thats how bad things are. I cant be alone as they had sold 1546 of them when I bought mine. It will be like one big tone deaf covid choir.Ā 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

They will be the people moaning the most about the restrictions.Ā 
I am missing going out for something to eat and for a few drinks, cannot believe we have a huge match soon and have to watch it at home.Ā 
If I watch any more TV I think I actually will get square eyes. I bought singing lessons for 9 quid today on Living Social, thats how bad things are. I cant be alone as they had sold 1546 of them when I bought mine. It will be like one big tone deaf covid choir.Ā 

Can't wait for your demo-tape on the Tunes thread :beer2:

Nearly 100,000 people are catching coronavirus every day in England, a major analysis suggests.

The study, by Imperial College London, says the pace of the epidemic is accelerating and estimates the number of people infected is now doubling every nine days.

The React-1 study is highly influential because it is the most up-to-date assessment of Covid-19 in the country, with the last swabs taken only on Sunday and nearly 86,000 volunteers taking part.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54723962

10 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Can't wait for your demo-tape on the Tunes thread :beer2:

šŸ˜ who knows, Ā I could be a rock chick !Ā 
It is an online course with contributions from a vocal coachĀ who worked on The Voice , and trained Paloma Faith and Damon Albarn . All for 9 quid šŸ˜‚
I am gonna be the next Susan Boyle. What a back story.ā€˜

Ā AfterĀ 56 years of hell locked in a tone deafĀ body of tunes no one recognisedĀ , one day,Ā in those dark days of Covid, a little voice appeared. ā€˜

I will be looking for backing singers. We will be called Tidy and the Ā Tambers. Only those with tambourine experience need apply.Ā 
Ā 

Ā 

8 minutes ago, phart said:

Nearly 100,000 people are catching coronavirus every day in England, a major analysis suggests.

The study, by Imperial College London, says the pace of the epidemic is accelerating and estimates the number of people infected is now doubling every nine days.

The React-1 study is highly influential because it is the most up-to-date assessment of Covid-19 in the country, with the last swabs taken only on Sunday and nearly 86,000 volunteers taking part.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54723962

ā€˜ā€˜Prof Steven Riley, one of the authors, said he was "really disappointed" when the data started coming in and said it meant the "current measures are not sufficient".

"There has to be a change, the rate of growth is really quite rapid, one way or another there has to be a change before Christmas," he said.

He argued this could be either the general public following the rules more closely or government imposing tougher restrictions on our lives.ā€˜ā€˜

It would seem inevitable we are all going to end up back in full lock down if this continues. There are just too many people flaunting the rules.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

2 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

ā€˜ā€˜Prof Steven Riley, one of the authors, said he was "really disappointed" when the data started coming in and said it meant the "current measures are not sufficient".

"There has to be a change, the rate of growth is really quite rapid, one way or another there has to be a change before Christmas," he said.

He argued this could be either the general public following the rules more closely or government imposing tougher restrictions on our lives.ā€˜ā€˜

It would seem inevitable we are all going to end up back in full lock down if this continues. There are just too many people flaunting the rules.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

As i said earlier loads of folk mocking Vallance and his "scare mongering graph" seems he actually was wrong he was too conservative. He said mid november for 200 deaths a day the 7 day average is 213 atm.

All these folk that talk about "do your own research" never mean spend 4 years getting an undergraduate degree in your science of choice, do a masters degree then spend 3 or 4 years in phd programme investigating reality then defend it viva voce against a panel with probably 100 years cumalative expert experience on the subject. Then you're ready to actually start learning and studying about a specific topic. What they mean is read this twitter thread or watch this youtube video.

21 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Already happening across Europe so it's looking on the cards.

Ā 

Ā 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

šŸ˜ who knows, Ā I could be a rock chick !Ā 
It is an online course with contributions from a vocal coachĀ who worked on The Voice , and trained Paloma Faith and Damon Albarn . All for 9 quid šŸ˜‚
I am gonna be the next Susan Boyle. What a back story.ā€˜

Ā AfterĀ 56 years of hell locked in a tone deafĀ body of tunes no one recognisedĀ , one day,Ā in those dark days of Covid, a little voice appeared. ā€˜

I will be looking for backing singers. We will be called Tidy and the Ā Tambers. Only those with tambourine experience need apply.Ā 
Ā 

Ā 

I used to be in the Salvation Army ?

29 minutes ago, phart said:

We need some levity!

šŸ‘

Just be grateful it is singing lessons I am gettingĀ .
I heard this morning on the radio that tv casting company maddog2020.com are looking for scantly clad Go-go dancers for a new film which is set in Glasgow in the 80ā€™s.Ā No experience required šŸ˜

( they are also looking for people fluentĀ in Japanese and Russian)

40 minutes ago, phart said:

The difference opening windows in class is mental!Ā  Better get the wee lass a warm coat.Ā 

6 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

The difference opening windows in class is mental!Ā  Better get the wee lass a warm coat.Ā 

To be extra safe, when she comes home, send her straight up to her well ventilated bedroom (i.e. windows wide open) and deliver all her meals under the door.Ā 

She will get used to sleeping in her duffle coat.

2 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

To be extra safe, when she comes home, send her straight up to her well ventilated bedroom (i.e. windows wide open) and deliver all her meals under the door.Ā 

She will get used to sleeping in her duffle coat.

She's in the shed until a vaccine is available