Coronavirus - Page 210 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

17 hours ago, phart said:

Social Media Conversations in Support of Herd Immunity are Driven by Bots

Posted on Oct.30, 2020 in Uncategorized by Disinformation Research Group

Key highlights

• Approximately half of the profiles pushing the case for herd immunity are artificial accounts. These bot or bot-like accounts are generally characterized as engaging in abnormally high levels of retweets and low content diversity.

https://fas.org/blogs/fas/2020/10/social-media-conversations-in-support-of-herd-immunity-are-driven-by-bots/

There's a guy I follow who analyses bots and disinformation campaigns. Today he had a look at one of the Anti-SNP anti-lockdown lot which I found interesting.... 

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1323170454929068033.html

21 hours ago, phart said:

He never took the test, that was what they were commenting on how his handlers were saying he wasn't infectious but they couldn't provide the two tests.

Story I heard was that Trump took one test, found it to be too uncomfortable.  Then realised that him taking a test didn't have any impact on whether or not he would get infected or not - it would only identify if he was positive and stop him infecting anyone else.

So, he refused to have any more tests but insisted on everyone around him testing so as to protect him.

As with everything with that guy, who knows if its true or not but it certainly is "truthy".

5 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Keep your chin up fella - what you're doing for your gran is mint mate.  

It's only a small crumb of comfort but we seem to be keeping some semblance of sanity up here.  I read the 'Oatcake' from a Stoke side and the locals down there with this, Brexit and a tory government are on the verge of losing their shit all over the shop.  Couple of triggers one way or another and can easily see civil unrest down there.    

Cheers!!

Aye things are not bad up here and when you actually look at polls the majority are taking it seriously. I have family in Biddulph, Congleton area but not had much feedback in that way.

My gran is far more fatalistic than me, If she gets a chance of visitors she takes them, being pretty much housebound and in your 90's never know when might see folk again.

1 hour ago, phart said:

Cheers!!

Aye things are not bad up here and when you actually look at polls the majority are taking it seriously. I have family in Biddulph, Congleton area but not had much feedback in that way.

My gran is far more fatalistic than me, If she gets a chance of visitors she takes them, being pretty much housebound and in your 90's never know when might see folk again.

Granted a message board isn't the best place to judge public mood but, given their overwhelming Brexit support, there's a number of absolute bams who would rather crash out mammary glands skyward than extend a bit longer to get through a pandemic.  

8 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Keep your chin up fella - what you're doing for your gran is mint mate.  

It's only a small crumb of comfort but we seem to be keeping some semblance of sanity up here.  I read the 'Oatcake' from a Stoke side and the locals down there with this, Brexit and a tory government are on the verge of losing their shit all over the shop.  Couple of triggers one way or another and can easily see civil unrest down there.    

Completely agree. 

22 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Looks like that party may go the way of the Brexit party quicker than anticipated:

Lockdowns are shit and not in anyway ideal. Not sure how they can talk about the forecasts though considering it's getting checked against reality as we speak and in some metrics has been shown to be actually under selling for example deaths.

Brexit another huge economy wrecker is coming up and they wanted that but not this...

It's imperative we get indyref 2 done and bail ASAP.

26 minutes ago, phart said:

It's went through a lot of mink farms, first time i've seen it speculated that it could mutate and affect vaccines though!

I think they mean that if it mutates to a large enough extent it can effectively become a different virus. Vaccines currently being developed for the existing virus might not be as effective on the mutated version. 

38 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Mid 2022, scientists finally have a working vaccine, the 2 billion of us left on planet earth rejoice in the news, 30 minutes later a rogue undetected asteroid collides with earth and wipes us out. Braw. 

Probably not even the least surprising thing that year!

Can tell why "may you live in interesting times" is actually a curse. (I know it's apocryphal) but still.

7 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Furlough getting extended till end March. 

Phew won't need eat the dog this Christmas.  

We're Tier 2 so the hotel mrs works at is ok but with Tier 3/ England not allowed travel plus the gowf being quiet in the winter it was squeaky bum.  The full time zero hour folk are only losing a shift and making it up with holidays which is really decent because the job retention costs them rather than saves - the kids working p/t are screwed though so can understand why that demographic is getting pretty pissed off with stuff in general.    

Selfishly we'd probably be better off on furlough if Scotland goes full lockdown but would rather we stuck with the tier system for as long as possible as would show we can sort our own sh!t out.