Coronavirus - Page 211 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Furlough getting extended till end March. 

Being reviewed in January. Still can't apply for staff's furlough wage for November but can apparently back date it. Suppose that's what happens when you leave it til the Saturday night of the 31st October before coming up with anything. If only the opposition parties asked for this earlier. Thank goodness Douglas Ross came along to save the day. 🙄

Self employed can't apply for their grant until December. 

Edited by Och Aye

6 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Phew won't need eat the dog this Christmas.  

We're Tier 2 so the hotel mrs works at is ok but with Tier 3/ England not allowed travel plus the gowf being quiet in the winter it was squeaky bum.  The full time zero hour folk are only losing a shift and making it up with holidays which is really decent because the job retention costs them rather than saves - the kids working p/t are screwed though so can understand why that demographic is getting pretty pissed off with stuff in general.    

Selfishly we'd probably be better off on furlough if Scotland goes full lockdown but would rather we stuck with the tier system for as long as possible as would show we can sort our own sh!t out.   

6 hours ago, phart said:

That's better.

Think yesterday was deadliest day yet (worldwide)

3 hours ago, Och Aye said:

Being reviewed in January. Still can't apply for staff's furlough wage for November but can apparently back date it. Suppose that's what happens when you leave it til the Saturday night of the 31st October before coming up with anything. If only the opposition parties asked for this earlier. Thank goodness Douglas Ross came along to save the day. 🙄

Self employed can't apply for their grant until December. 

Good news it definitely gives the SG a bit of time to decide whether a stiffer lockdown is required nationwide rather than hastily rushing in in fear of missing furlough funding. 

Since I stop for a weeks holiday tonight you can be assured a tighter lockdown will come into effect next week 🙄

5 hours ago, phart said:

Things seem to be dropping off slightly in Scotland now, and levelling off in rest of the UK.

Hopefully no need for stiffer lockdowns. I'm about ready for this to be over mind you!

It's not over mate.   But stick in.   It will take a while, but keep doing the good stuff.

On 10/28/2020 at 8:00 PM, TDYER63 said:

The principal of that makes sense as different people are missing different things , but I think at this stage it may be too much hassle and take up too much time to implement. 

I see what you mean. But then... if we'd been told this time last year that if you wanted to go for a pint in a pub you'd have to first sanitise your hands from a dispenser put there by the pub, put on a mask (that you brought yourself), go through a one way system, sit down (at every third chair or table), and hand over your name and address and contact details, before your order even being taken, you might think nothing like that could ever be put up with or viable.

If there could be an alternative that allowed some free choice of which of the (lower risk) activities we could do, where & when, it could boost morale & compliance.

Edited by exile

43 minutes ago, phart said:

That high? Wow that's good news.

That is pretty high. Sounds promising. If they can produce enough of it, I don't they will much problem persuading folk to take it. If it does turn out to be 90% at a population level, COVID 19 could be near enough eradicated within a few years. 

Need to get a vaccine for COVID 20 now.

Just read this bit. Starting to sound too good to be true?

"BioNTech’s Mr Sahin said he expected the vaccine’s immune response to last for “at least one year”, adding that the vaccine-induced antibodies were shown to block about 20 different mutations of Sars-Cov-2. “There's a very low likelihood that a [mutation of] the virus can overcome the immune response,” he predicted."

https://www.ft.com/content/9bde4bff-acf0-4c2a-a0d0-5ed597186496

14 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

"BioNTech’s Mr Sahin said he expected the vaccine’s immune response to last for “at least one year”, adding that the vaccine-induced antibodies were shown to block about 20 different mutations of Sars-Cov-2. “There's a very low likelihood that a [mutation of] the virus can overcome the immune response,” he predicted."

It has to be stored at pretty extreme low temperatures i see. Not ideal but i suspect storage is the easiest part compared to actualy manafacturing it.

2 minutes ago, phart said:

It has to be stored at pretty extreme low temperatures i see. Not ideal but i suspect storage is the easiest part compared to actualy manafacturing it.

Just heard about the ultra cold storage.  Hell that has to he the easy bit, and a good job creator...sure the tories are lining up their pals already. 

17 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Man the comments have a non-insignificant amount of folk thanking "Trump" despite it being funded by Germany and EU having nothing to do with Operation Warp Speed or anything like that.

Can't wait to get passed this polarised reality, where Trump is the font of all the good or all the ills of the world. He's just a priviliged, narcissist demagogue who bullshits so low informaton decision makers are easlt influenced. Like a lot fo politicians. Nothing that special.

1 minute ago, mariokempes56 said:

Just heard about the ultra cold storage.  Hell that has to he the easy bit, and a good job creator...sure the tories are lining up their pals already. 

Some Tory Donor with zero freezers getting a £85 million contract to distribute.

I've read once it's out of ultra freeze it still has a shelf life of 5 days as long as stored in a chiled enviroment. So hopefully just need a few facilities for long term storage then can use facilities we already have to distribute and store locally while innoculation drives go out.

16 minutes ago, phart said:

Man the comments have a non-insignificant amount of folk thanking "Trump" despite it being funded by Germany and EU having nothing to do with Operation Warp Speed or anything like that.

Can't wait to get passed this polarised reality, where Trump is the font of all the good or all the ills of the world. He's just a priviliged, narcissist demagogue who bullshits so low informaton decision makers are easlt influenced. Like a lot fo politicians. Nothing that special.

Ah right see Mike Pence and Nikki Glazer have claimed on twitter that Trump made the vaccine or something, the company had to fact check them.

That explains why the parrots just went out and flooded it everywhere, i wonder if it's paid folk or just useful idiots.

3 minutes ago, phart said:

Ah right see Mike Pence and Nikki Glazer have claimed on twitter that Trump made the vaccine or something, the company had to fact check them.

That explains why the parrots just went out and flooded it everywhere, i wonder if it's paid folk or just useful idiots.

I think it's being manufactured in Belgium. These folk probably don't even know where Belgium is. I'm not sure where the research and development was done though. 

12 minutes ago, exile said:

Apparently Prof Van Tam said it was important to “stand fast”, and to not get too excited about the breakthrough.

The academics I follow seem quite optimistic, but also warn that folk might "slack off" and increase transmission and then if it does not prove as effective as thought causes loads more unneccesary deaths.

this guy is actually in the trial as well as being a leading expert.

Edited by phart

1 hour ago, phart said:

The academics I follow seem quite optimistic, but also warn that folk might "slack off" and increase transmission and then if it does not prove as effective as thought causes loads more unneccesary deaths.

Might it have been wiser to keep this under wraps another few weeks ?