Coronavirus - Page 148 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

8 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I think the main conclusion from this study is that international travel should have been shut down or at least major restrictions put in place. 

Do you mean that's what the main conclusion of the report says, what you think it should say it conclusions you've drawn from it with the benefit of hindsight?

BURLEY: "You can't stick this on the scientists."
WHATELY: "Well I can."

"Well I can".

That is damning. What would she have followed those three words with?

Something like 'Well I can because we took the scientists advice'.

What did Burley say beforehand? "You can't stick this on the scientists."

It would appear Whately was very close to doing so.

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

Ian Murray runs Jackson Carlaw close for Scotlands biggest cunt award.

Scottish Labour keep bringing up the 1979 vote of no confidence, I expect they will be speaking about Nike in 2061, unless we manage to finally kill their party off.

Murray is the cunt's cunt

Horrible, bitter and twisted little fuck of a man

2 hours ago, kumnio said:

KB says 'You cant stick this on the scientists'

HW says 'Well I can because nknc nsjkcnk acnal' then gets interrupted.

Whately is incompetent beyond even Tory levels, she is utterly useless.

She also looks like she could do with a good wash. 

21 hours ago, King Of Paisley said:

Murray is the cunt's cunt

Horrible, bitter and twisted little fuck of a man

Ian Murray has to be the most joyless, bitter and uninspired person in modern Scottish politics - and that's a high bar.

I'm starting to wonder if he fancies his chances as next Scottish Labour leader though. Forget for a second that Murray has the charisma of a used tissue and the charm of a haemorrhoid, Richard Leonard is currently taking the party nowhere, they're firmly third in the polls and there's an election scheduled for next year. The Tories, though, aren't exactly making progress with Carlaw in charge, so maybe by pushing the hard-line unionist envelope Murray thinks his party can win votes from the Tories.

Personally, I think that would be a rubbish strategy but it might explain why he's been more visible than ever before.

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

Ian Murray has to be the most joyless, bitter and uninspired person in modern Scottish politics - and that's a high bar.

I'm starting to wonder if he fancies his chances as next Scottish Labour leader though. Forget for a second that Murray has the charisma of a used tissue and the charm of a haemorrhoid, Richard Leonard is currently taking the party nowhere, they're firmly third in the polls and there's an election scheduled for next year. The Tories, though, aren't exactly making progress with Carlaw in charge, so maybe by pushing the hard-line unionist envelope Murray thinks his party can win votes from the Tories.

Personally, I think that would be a rubbish strategy but it might explain why he's been more visible than ever before.

Murray wont want to be leader as that would (probably) mean having to become an MSP, and he will view that as beneath him,  he wants to be with his pals at Westminster, not Holyrood.

Richard Leonard, the latest in the long line of people who couldnt possibly be worse than the person before him/her, but by christ he has managed that. From McConnell standing down, its been useless walloper after useless walloper, Alexander, Gray, Lamont, Dugdale & Murphy, each one less electable than the last.

3 hours ago, scotlad said:

Agree with Kumnio on this. Murray is such a bitter Unionist cunt I get the feeling he'd happily see Holyrood shut down. He really is a horrible, poisonous shit.

No one with half a brain would go near the Labour leader gig. It's such a poisoned chalice no one will touch it with a barge pole. Deep down, they know they are finished up here and know it's a utterly hopeless task in finding any road back. If they are to win back their core vote, they need to ditch the pro-Union mantra and go back to the traditional Scottish Home Rule mantra that held dear generations ago. But they are so animated in their hatred of the SNP that of course will never happen. Hell will freeze over first

That's a criticism of the free market not the scientific method. From the poster in the comments

https://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journals/lancet/PIIS0140-6736(15)60696-1.pdf

Lancet was talking about the problem 5 years ago.

The replication crisis is particularly bad in medicine as well as social sciences.

Edited by phart

So after months of being told how crucial the 'R' number is and how vital it is to get it down, we're now being told "Ah, well it's not the only thing".   That's no doubt true but you wonder why the change in emphasis now, it couldn't be that the 'R' number isn't dropping in England as fast as the UKG want/need it to.  

3 hours ago, aaid said:

So after months of being told how crucial the 'R' number is and how vital it is to get it down, we're now being told "Ah, well it's not the only thing".   That's no doubt true but you wonder why the change in emphasis now, it couldn't be that the 'R' number isn't dropping in England as fast as the UKG want/need it to.  

Not acting in union- SNP bad

Not acting independently- SNP bad

On 6/9/2020 at 4:16 PM, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Conveniently now giving them an excuse to go against the scientists advice to save the economy. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-two-metre-2-m-rule-distancing-rishi-sunak-a9565131.html%3famp

28 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Conveniently now giving them an excuse to go against the scientists advice to save the economy. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-two-metre-2-m-rule-distancing-rishi-sunak-a9565131.html%3famp

Plenty folk are already ignoring the 2m rule outdoors. They either don't know, or don't care, what 2m is. The problems are going to come when pubs and restaurants open up as the licensee will be expected to police it. The 2m rule might be helping to keep folk a wee bit further apart than they normally would, even if it's not the full 2m. I think Nicola should stick to her guns and keep the same message of 2m. If a pub owner thinks they can't comply with the 2m then they should just stay closed. 

At some point in the future we will be confident enough to do away with the 2m rule but I think it should be replaced by a no touching rule. There should be no reason to touch another human apart from medical reasons, sex or getting your hair cut. There might be a few other exceptions that I haven't thought of yet. 

13 minutes ago, ger intae them said:

How are you meant to get yer granny off the bus then?

Well you cannae shove her, that's a well established fact.

OK, I'll add that to the list of exceptions. Although it could already come under medical reasons if she isn't able to do it herself.

42 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Plenty folk are already ignoring the 2m rule outdoors. They either don't know, or don't care, what 2m is. The problems are going to come when pubs and restaurants open up as the licensee will be expected to police it. The 2m rule might be helping to keep folk a wee bit further apart than they normally would, even if it's not the full 2m. I think Nicola should stick to her guns and keep the same message of 2m. If a pub owner thinks they can't comply with the 2m then they should just stay closed. 

At some point in the future we will be confident enough to do away with the 2m rule but I think it should be replaced by a no touching rule. There should be no reason to touch another human apart from medical reasons, sex or getting your hair cut. There might be a few other exceptions that I haven't thought of yet. 

😂😂
 You really dont like huggers do you ?
I like a wee hug  so would like to return to that post Covid . I would however be prepared to compromise a little and suggest a ban on sex for over 50’s. 

I think some people have been flouting the 2 m rule from the start,  but, as has already been mentioned on here, I imagine the government had  factored in an element of non compliance.  
If you remove that rule  just about everyone will become complacent. I too agree it should be kept in place for now. 
My point really was that the UK government (  well , Helen Whately) was trying to say it was the governments adherence to scientists advice that caused the high death number , so they are now conveniently saying they may go against the scientists advice to get the economy going.

They either trust the scientists or they dont. 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

😂😂
 You really dont like huggers do you ?
I like a wee hug  so would like to return to that post Covid . I would however be prepared to compromise a little and suggest a ban on sex for over 50’s. 

I think some people have been flouting the 2 m rule from the start,  but, as has already been mentioned on here, I imagine the government had  factored in an element of non compliance.  
If you remove that rule  just about everyone will become complacent. I too agree it should be kept in place for now. 
My point really was that the UK government (  well , Helen Whately) was trying to say it was the governments adherence to scientists advice that caused the high death number , so they are now conveniently saying they may go against the scientists advice to get the economy going.

They either trust the scientists or they dont. 

I saw a bit on the news last night. Some auld granny had just been "let out of lockdown". Whatever that means? And, the first thing she did was hug two potentially disease ridden grandchildren and her daughter. There is no way that these folk would have been tested and even if they had been it wouldn't be a guarantee that they couldn't pass on the virus. The news team are lapping this up as though it a fantastic news story and yet in the very same news bulletin they are reminding folk that they should continue to socially distance. Some folk are just so ignorant that they refuse to learn anything from past behaviours. Idiots encouraging other idiots.