Coronavirus - Page 149 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

6 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I saw a bit on the news last night. Some auld granny had just been "let out of lockdown". Whatever that means? And, the first thing she did was hug two potentially disease ridden grandchildren and her daughter. There is no way that these folk would have been tested and even if they had been it wouldn't be a guarantee that they couldn't pass on the virus. The news team are lapping this up as though it a fantastic news story and yet in the very same news bulletin they are reminding folk that they should continue to socially distance. Some folk are just so ignorant that they refuse to learn anything from past behaviours. Idiots encouraging other idiots.

If that's the same one I saw then the granny had had COVID and had recovered meaning she wasn't infectious and couldn't pick it up.

Actually if it was this one in England then that's entirely within the current guidelines.  Whether it should be is another matter but - in England - that's how it is.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-06-13/family-members-hug-for-the-first-time-in-10-weeks-thanks-to-support-bubbles/

Edited by aaid

10 minutes ago, aaid said:

If that's the same one I saw then the granny had had COVID and had recovered meaning she wasn't infectious and couldn't pick it up.

Actually if it was this one in England then that's entirely within the current guidelines.  Whether it should be is another matter but - in England - that's how it is.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-06-13/family-members-hug-for-the-first-time-in-10-weeks-thanks-to-support-bubbles/

Pretty sure the one I saw hadn't had COVID.

Guidelines are just guidelines. Folk should have enough sense to take responsibility to look after themselves. Hugging other people who could be potentially infectious is stupid and irresponsible. It's not just her own life she is endangering.

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Plenty folk are already ignoring the 2m rule outdoors. They either don't know, or don't care, what 2m is. The problems are going to come when pubs and restaurants open up as the licensee will be expected to police it. The 2m rule might be helping to keep folk a wee bit further apart than they normally would, even if it's not the full 2m. I think Nicola should stick to her guns and keep the same message of 2m. If a pub owner thinks they can't comply with the 2m then they should just stay closed. 

At some point in the future we will be confident enough to do away with the 2m rule but I think it should be replaced by a no touching rule. There should be no reason to touch another human apart from medical reasons, sex or getting your hair cut. There might be a few other exceptions that I haven't thought of yet. 

I presume you're including dental under medical?   One of my fillings fell out the week before lockdown.   I've still got my lunch stuck in my cavity.

I should be your straight man btw.

39 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Guidelines are just guidelines. Folk should have enough sense to take responsibility to look after themselves. Hugging other people who could be potentially infectious is stupid and irresponsible. It's not just her own life she is endangering.

But that's the point.  Under the guidelines in England, that grandmother - since she lives on her own - can form a social bubble with one other household.   There's never been any restrictions placed on social distancing within your own household, largely because it'll be totally impractical.

There should be no reason to touch another human apart from medical reasons, sex or getting your hair cut.

Agreed.

Handshakes can GTF for a start.

The number of blokes you see leave a toilet without washing their hands.

I remember washing my hands in a pub and in the mirror, over my shoulder, I saw a guy come out the cubical and walk straight out the door - He's just wiped his arse FFS and now he's going back to his pint and crisps.

Half of men are filthy bastards. 

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

You really dont like huggers do you ?
I like a wee hug.

Women seem to place a lot of importance on hugs. Somehow, hugs seem to make bad situations better. I can't comprehend it myself. They do nothing for me.

26 minutes ago, aaid said:

But that's the point.  Under the guidelines in England, that grandmother - since she lives on her own - can form a social bubble with one other household.   There's never been any restrictions placed on social distancing within your own household, largely because it'll be totally impractical.

But there is no need for all that hugging pish though. That's my point. We shouldn't be thinking about going back to what used to be normal. Social hugging and handshaking should be a thing of the past. They serve no practical purpose and only help to spread germs. 

The message could be a very simple one. "Don't hug it, unless you are planning to shag it".

9 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Exactly. How tae fuk did humans come to the conclusion that that would be a good idea. At least dogs sniffin' each others arses makes some sort of sense.

Handshaking is awful, but still preferable to twats that think a fist bump is a good idea.

10 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Exactly. How tae fuk did humans come to the conclusion that that would be a good idea. At least dogs sniffin' each others arses makes some sort of sense.

Where does browning ones meat fit into all this?

I suppose you could have a hug at the same time 🤔

5 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

Women seem to place a lot of importance on hugs. Somehow, hugs seem to make bad situations better. I can't comprehend it myself. They do nothing for me.

Cant speak for all women but I feel a hug is like a protective bond, I mostly hug when someone needs comforting or if I haven't seen a close friend or relative for a while.
I am not however a serial hugger, I definitely  wouldn't feel the need to hug Orraloon , though I might inadvertently  hug  him at the football if Scotland qualified for a major tournament in the 93rd minute.  
I dont know why women put more importance on it than men. Maybe the maternal thing. 
Hugging is good.  Up the huggers 👏👏

47 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Goes back to the medieval times where it was a way of showing someone that you didn't have a dagger and weren't about to stab them

You really need to remember we're just animals, hugging and I suppose handshaking also, is, our version of sniffing arses. Whole new thread obviously, but I do think we've lost that connection with nature.

5 hours ago, Orraloon said:

But there is no need for all that hugging pish though. That's my point. We shouldn't be thinking about going back to what used to be normal. Social hugging and handshaking should be a thing of the past. They serve no practical purpose and only help to spread germs. 

The message could be a very simple one. "Don't hug it, unless you are planning to shag it".

We need to reintroduce  the traditional Scottish male greeting of an almost imperceptible nod accompanied by about a second’s worth of eye contact. A sharp intake of breath can be thrown in if the individual is feeling particularly gregarious...

Edited by neilser

19 hours ago, Orraloon said:

So you are saying you cannot be in contact with anyone outwith your own household until there's a vaccine?

18 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

Kids like them too, you can't want grandkids etc and not be in contact with them.

My niece is 10 months old, my sister is back working (school teacher) and my mum will have to watch her as my brother in law is working too.

You also can't have kids growing up from babies to toddlers with zero contact from other humans other than their parents.

Think folk need to strike a balance here.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

18 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

Would love to have seen you clapping like a seal when Griffiths scored the 2nd against England, whilst the rest of the stadium were hugging each other!

1 minute ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Would love to have seen you clapping like a seal when Griffiths scored the 2nd against England, whilst the rest of the stadium were hugging each other!

😂 When Faddy scores against Ukraine at Hampden, I think about 4 entire rows of people swapped seats. 

20 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Kids like them too, you can't want grandkids etc and not be in contact with them.

My niece is 10 months old, my sister is back working (school teacher) and my mum will have to watch her as my brother in law is working too.

You also can't have kids growing up from babies to toddlers with zero contact from other humans other than their parents.

Think folk need to strike a balance here.

Of course. I understand children require that connection.

Although my manager's son recently told his Father "Get off! I'm too old for hugs"

The boy is six :lol:

I'm talking about a girlfriend who's p*ssed off and asks for a hug and then she says "That's better" and all of sudden all is well in the world... and I'm thinking, eh? What just happened?

Maybe I unknowingly give great hugs.

20 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Rest assured, I am fully aware of my own hypocrisy.

I often hug strangers at Hampden.

... and I shake people's hands. It's the done thing.

29 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

That was one of the very best days I've ever known following Scotland.

The SFA have put the full game on youtube without commentary