Snoddy retires. - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Snoddy retires.

McTeeko

2 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Adding to the Scott Brown comment I made above...

Since the start of 2015...

With Scott Brown

• P 13
  • W 5 (Gibraltar x 2, Slovenia, Lithuania, Malta)
  • D 3 (Rep of Ireland, Poland, England)
  • L 3 (Georgia, Germany, England)

Without Scott Brown

• P 17
  • W 8 (Malta, Slovakia, Albania x 2, Israel, San Marino x 2, Cyprus)
  • D 2 (Lithuania, Slovenia)
  • L 7 (Slovakia, Israel, Kazakhstan, Belgium x 2, Russia x 2)

Or more accurately, Scott Brown was a much better player in 2015 than he was in 2019.  I think he sensibly made the correct decision to retire, he hasn't been up to the level required for some time now.  Gets away with it in the SPFL as he's not under the same level of pressure but gets found out in Europe.   I suspect if Lennon wasn't the manager he'd hardly get a game for Celtic this season.

Shame, he was one of my favorite players over the last 10 years.  As many have said he'd have had  many more caps if not for a couple of really bad injuries!  I'm pretty sure we had to do with out him for the majority of the Euro 16 qualifiers where, at his peak, he could have made the difference in a couple of those games that saw us lose out again.

Edited by kwhitelaw

3 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

He's clearly in serious decline and says himself he wants to make way for younger lads. It wouldn't surprise me if West Ham let him go at the end of the season.

He's played in half their league matches, both cup matches and only been out of the matchday squad once. That doesn't really back up what you're saying, but.. ok.

Like others have said, it's bit of an odd time for him to retire when we still have the playoff(s) to come. He probably is past his peak now, to be honest, but I'd still have him in the squad.

Hehas served Scotland well, though, and scored a few goals. Very much a self-made man too.

Thank you, and good luck Snoddy. 

1 hour ago, andyD said:

He's played in half their league matches, both cup matches and only been out of the matchday squad once. That doesn't really back up what you're saying, but.. ok.

Ahem, I said at the end of the season. You know when West Ham start planning for next season ? I don't think they'll keep him on.

20 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Ahem, I said at the end of the season. You know when West Ham start planning for next season ? I don't think they'll keep him on.

Well he signed a further 12 month extension in the summer which see's him contracted until 2021, with the option of the a further 12 months.

Be strange if they offered that then paid him off?

4 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Well he signed a further 12 month extension in the summer which see's him contracted until 2021, with the option of the a further 12 months.

Be strange if they offered that then paid him off?

English Premiership clubs have signed players up onto new contracts before and chucked them a few months later. 

Their owners are ambitious to get West Ham further up the table and they surely won't want old, declining players stuck on the books soaking up wages.

2 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

English Premiership clubs have signed players up onto new contracts before and chucked them a few months later. 

Their owners are ambitious to get West Ham further up the table and they surely won't want old, declining players stuck on the books soaking up wages.

If that was the case, why would they extend his existing contract only matter of weeks ago?

A good useful player in his day. Probably the Russia game was a sign he's way past the level of being able to help us against good teams. Looked completely off the pace.

Probably he was pushed out but I reckon a bit of mutual benefit of him being able to prolong his career while allowing us to blood in someone new in that slot.

12 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Squad players get generous contracts all the time from a number of clubs in that league where money is out of control.

Like i said.. the evidence kinda suggests the opposite of what you said.

It's not impossible you're right.. just seems unlikely given the facts.

6 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Don't really think it's acceptable for players to be retiring in the middle of a campaign.  Ultimately he's one of the better players in the squad and we could do with him in the playoffs.  Can't help but feel he's letting the team down here.

Why do some of these players think it's acceptable to retire mid campaign

In two games time we've got a decent chance to get to our first play off since 2003

We need every option we can get

Now is not the time to be retiring

This is strange, I would have had an agreement now with the player that he was retiring, but try and keep the door open until after the playoffs and then announce at the end of the season. You never know what may happen to the squad.

He's not been anywhere near his best for a long time, if he wants to retire then fair enough as it's a little bit of a weird time considering we have a play off to contest but I would rather have James Forrest starting or someone else as they will be desparate to make a tournament and always turn up. I would like to see Mikey Johnston called up as he looks like he has plenty of flair which I feel we are missing. 

Snodgrass has been a decemt servant tbf so I wish him all the best with the rest of his career.

1 hour ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I don't get the play-off comments from people here, though. He knows, as well as i do, that we don't have a chance against a decent team in the play-offs.

The good news is, we will face a team around our level, someone who has finished 3rd or worse in their group.

If we get drawn to play the final at Hampden, I’d fancy us against anyone at the level we’re looking at.

If we’re drawn away, you’re probably right. 😂

1 minute ago, sbcmfc said:

The good news is, we will face a team around our level, someone who has finished 3rd or worse in their group.

If we get drawn to play the final at Hampden, I’d fancy us against anyone at the level we’re looking at.

If we’re drawn away, you’re probably right. 😂

I wasn't kidding, i literally know nothing about the play-off, as i have zero confidence in Scotland.

Do we play two teams? 

I think people are talking about Serbia of Norway. If we play anyone of that ilk, I seriously can't see us winning, even at Hampden.

By choosing to retire now, Snodgrass is pretty much saying that qualification via the play-offs is a lost cause. If he had even a glimmer of hope, he wouldn't retire.

16 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I wasn't kidding, i literally know nothing about the play-off, as i have zero confidence in Scotland.

Do we play two teams? 

I think people are talking about Serbia of Norway. If we play anyone of that ilk, I seriously can't see us winning, even at Hampden.

By choosing to retire now, Snodgrass is pretty much saying that qualification via the play-offs is a lost cause. If he had even a glimmer of hope, he wouldn't retire.

He should be used to lost causes, he's been relegated with plenty of clubs in his career. If that's his mentality then he should jack it in and let someone else get a shot.

Always sad to see a player retire but truthfully his time was heading towards a close. Thursday in Moscow really did show that up. I'd rather he had kept himself available for the playoff just incase. But if it means a chance for Mikey Johnston, then I can accept it. All the best Snoddy.

12 hours ago, wanderer said:

Shocked he only has 28 caps, part me thought he must have been in the mid 40's.

Great servant, but probably for the best, Moscow showed he has just lost that little bit of pace that is needed when you consider what Forest can offer, and Christies performance on Sunday.

Like so many over last decade, he was called up much later than he should've been.

First got capped in 2011. He was already key player and assist king at Leeds for a few seasons.

He also got a bad injury on his debut at Hull on opening day of 2014 season so missed I think all of the 2016 euros group. Given how tight that turned out to be mayb a set piece from him would've made a difference in the final shake up.

Yeah last two years he's actually played very well at club level for Villa and West Ham but fallen out of favour for the national team so something that could've happened a year ago when he asked to be left out for personal reasons.

Goal in Zagreb obvious highlight.

Edited by Tartan Chris