Snoddy retires. - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Snoddy retires.

McTeeko

Just announced his international retirement on Instagram. 
Loved him at his peak, but was very hit and miss over the last couple of years. 

All the best anyway 👍🏼

Edited by McTeeko

3 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Just announced his international retirement on Instagram. 
Loved him at his peak, but was very hit and miss over the last couple of years. 

All the best anyway 👍🏼

Sad to see him go. Great character, great performances over the years, and never a doubt he loved pulling on the shirt. Cheers Snoddy! 

Don't really think it's acceptable for players to be retiring in the middle of a campaign.  Ultimately he's one of the better players in the squad and we could do with him in the playoffs.  Can't help but feel he's letting the team down here.

Shocked he only has 28 caps, part me thought he must have been in the mid 40's.

Great servant, but probably for the best, Moscow showed he has just lost that little bit of pace that is needed when you consider what Forest can offer, and Christies performance on Sunday.

Guest ElChris04

Snoddy is a good guy, showed more passion playing for Scotland than many ever did that have came and went and his post shows that, but it’s definitely the right decision imo. I think after that Russia game he knew he was off the pace and just couldn’t compete at that level like he used to. Hopefully we’ll see Mikey Johnston now called up aswell as Christie doing well at the right aswell as Forrest. 

All the best to him.

Edited by ElChris04

He did look like he was towing a caravan in Moscow and rather than be an out ball appeared to just run in to troubkevsnd concede possession.

Don’t like to see players retire, but can’t realky question his commitment upto this point.

Does anywhere have some sort of “Scott Gemmil calculator” that shows how many squads he’s turned up for rather than just his caps?

17 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Don't really think it's acceptable for players to be retiring in the middle of a campaign.  Ultimately he's one of the better players in the squad and we could do with him in the playoffs.  Can't help but feel he's letting the team down here.

What makes players think they can retire from international football? If you are good enough then accept the honour to play for your country. If you are not good enough join the SSC...

Edited by shaggycoo

15 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

He's clearly in serious decline and says himself he wants to make way for younger lads. It wouldn't surprise me if West Ham let him go at the end of the season.

13 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Shocked he only has 28 caps, part me thought he must have been in the mid 40's.

I'm pretty sure he suffered two serious injuries whilst at Norwich and Leeds respectively which kept him out for months at a time.

Just now, sbcmfc said:

Does anywhere have some sort of “Scott Gemmil calculator” that shows how many squads he’s turned up for rather than just his caps?

A total of over seventy I believe ....... but which sneakily includes all the U19, U21 and B team games he was called up for. Gemmill is taking the pish.

7 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

He did look like he was towing a caravan in Moscow and rather than be an out ball appeared to just run in to troubkevsnd concede possession.

Don’t like to see players retire, but can’t realky question his commitment upto this point.

I call that the ‘Derek Whyte calculator’ 😆

He's  too slow for international football and was particularly poor in Moscow.  I don't think we will miss him but it is disappointing not to have him as an option as we need as many as we can get. 

We do have too many players quitting international football.  McGregor, Hutton (up until this season), Brown, McArthur, Ritchie and Fletcher would all have more caps had they still been available.  

I'm sure I had a bet on here that Forrest would get more caps than Snodgrass.  No idea who it was with or how to go about finding the thread :lol:

6 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

He's  too slow for international football and was particularly poor in Moscow.  I don't think we will miss him but it is disappointing not to have him as an option as we need as many as we can get. 

We do have too many players quitting international football.  McGregor, Hutton (up until this season), Brown, McArthur, Ritchie and Fletcher would all have more caps had they still been available.  

I'm sure I had a bet on here that Forrest would get more caps than Snodgrass.  No idea who it was with or how to go about finding the thread :lol:

We can't keep calling for younger blood if we don't let the oldies go. McGregor and Fletcher, S . are the only ones I regret.

18 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

It wasn’t me, but I’m only counting Forrest’s good games, so he has 3 caps. 👍🏻

(3 is probably generous, I’m presuming he had a 3rd good game I’ve forgotten)

I just dont get the timing of this. If he is doing it for the reason he claims and to let us build for future then why let us waste a cap on him in Russia?? Especially as we have 2 games in march that we desperately need to improve for. 

Overall i think he has been a decent servant and for a time i think he was our best player.

Do think though that its becoming normal for our players to chuck it in early 30s. Russia had a player at 36 strolling both games against us. 

15 minutes ago, Templeton_Peck said:

I just dont get the timing of this. If he is doing it for the reason he claims and to let us build for future then why let us waste a cap on him in Russia?? Especially as we have 2 games in march that we desperately need to improve for. 

Overall i think he has been a decent servant and for a time i think he was our best player.

Do think though that its becoming normal for our players to chuck it in early 30s. Russia had a player at 36 strolling both games against us. 

I suspect Clarke probably thought he was very weak on experience within the squad, and also given West Hams good start to the season, it was a combination of both of them that Clarke selected him.

As said, the Russia game probably made his mind up that he just can not do it like he used to do at this level, and as the 3 games that follow are just effectively team bonding exercises to get a team and system ready for March, probably knew he was not going to get game time so best to let Clarke have the space in the squad to try someone else out.

Looks like he's chucked it after being told he wouldn't be getting called up again. 

Nowhere near good enough anymore even with the low level of competition in our squad. 

Can't understand why he's lauded for trying his best. That's a basic minimum for international players. If you don't try your utmost, you shouldn't ever get called on again. 

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

We can't keep calling for younger blood if we don't let the oldies go. McGregor and Fletcher, S . are the only ones I regret.

Hutton would have still been out best right-back up until the end of last season.

All our best performances over the last few years have been with Brown in the team.  Our record when he's not played has been rotten.  

Adding to the Scott Brown comment I made above...

Since the start of 2015...

With Scott Brown

• P 13
  • W 5 (Gibraltar x 2, Slovenia, Lithuania, Malta)
  • D 3 (Rep of Ireland, Poland, England)
  • L 3 (Georgia, Germany, England)

Without Scott Brown

• P 17
  • W 8 (Malta, Slovakia, Albania x 2, Israel, San Marino x 2, Cyprus)
  • D 2 (Lithuania, Slovenia)
  • L 7 (Slovakia, Israel, Kazakhstan, Belgium x 2, Russia x 2)