Politics At Scotland Games - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Politics At Scotland Games

andyg83

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said, the Yes side FAILED to convince the majority of the electorate. It had one thing to do and it FAILED.

You need to start looking at why the campaign failed, pointing your finger at your neighbour and calling him names isn't going to achieve anything.

Can we not do both? I am not entirely sure how you convince someone who refuses to listen to be honest-this was my experience of many people who voted No. If you refuse to engage in the biggest political decision you could make I think it is more than reasonable for you to expect to be called the odd name.

The result doesn't just lie at the door of the Yes Campaign - we all had the ability to research and then decide based on information from all sources. Many refused to do this and they share much of the blame

Edited by Lamia

Here we go again - how can anyone say this referendum has nothing to do with the national team - sorry but that is quite frankly preposterous.

All i was saying was that the taboard had a wee moan about westminster getting involved in the whole london 2012 olympics.

Yet the same board wants to turn scotland games into a yes rally. Can understand where you are coming from, but i think by doing so you risk putting people off that just want to come for the football, nothing else.

All i was saying was that the taboard had a wee moan about westminster getting involved in the whole london 2012 olympics.

Yet the same board wants to turn scotland games into a yes rally. Can understand where you are coming from, but i think by doing so you risk putting people off that just want to come for the football, nothing else.

Sorry there are more important things than putting a few people off attending a football match.

This issue in inextricably linked to the national football team so is different to most other "political" issues

Like I said, the Yes side FAILED to convince the majority of the electorate. It had one thing to do and it FAILED.

You need to start looking at why the campaign failed, pointing your finger at your neighbour and calling him names isn't going to achieve anything.

I dont think anyway is suggesting pointing fingers and calling names. However the idea of standing next to folk jumping up and down singing about being an Independent nation again, after a fair percentage of them just voted against it, seems quite bizarre to me.

Sorry there are more important things than putting a few people off attending a football match.

This issue in inextricably linked to the national football team so is different to most other "political" issues

Well, if i am right and can only hope that i am not, ye can't complain if there is a lack of atmosphere at the games.

I can see the way you are trying to push the independence campaign and good luck to ye, but i really do think using what, before september 18th was "the national team" as a platform is not the way forward.

Well, if i am right and can only hope that i am not, ye can't complain if there is a lack of atmosphere at the games.

I can see the way you are trying to push the independence campaign and good luck to ye, but i really do think using what, before september 18th was "the national team" as a platform is not the way forward.

I won't complain because I won't be there and to be honest it is the least of my concerns right now. And I am not using the team for anything I sm saying you can't separate the team from the referendum do people will just have to accept they whether they like it or not Edited by Lamia

Interested to hear more details on this front?

- We've entered another war

- Massive new oil field confirmed to exist (with of course resultant revenue going to wastemonster)

- Benefits to the poorest and most vulnerable in society being cut (in real terms)

- We've entered another war

- Massive new oil field confirmed to exist (with of course resultant revenue going to wastemonster)

- Benefits to the poorest and most vulnerable in society being cut (in real terms)

Government policies lurching more to the right. Chance of Scots losing their European citizen status.

The UK thinks it is a union of 4 countries.

Most of the world don't and see it as one country, the UK.

Said my point elsewhere but this is what No voters voted for. We've became a colony or a region of the UK, we had the chance to change that for the 1st time and to be a country but we chose not to. A colony by definition is a territory (Scotland) under the immediate political control of a state, distinct from the home territory of the sovereign. (England)

England controls us. What THE GOOD PEOPLE OF ENGLAND want is what WE get. Westminster controls our parliament. Our parliament survives off of grants and 'devolved powers' from another one that controls it. THEY decide what WE can do. They're already going back on everything they've said, they've lied, but now we are POWERLESS to change it as we are such a small irrelevant part of the UK. We have a voice of 5 million in a Union of 65 million. I think it really hit home when reading comments on social media from English people saying that we belong to them, how can we argue that? We can't.

be interested to know what the hampden was in late 70s after the devolution vote (yes/no) whatever it was termed

i do recall yes/no grafitti on walls etc - but wondered how it affected / divided the support (not long after argentina 78 was it)

of course no internet for hours of endless debate

ditto the 'troubles' of ulster & the heavy old firm infulence in 70s

be interested to know what the hampden was in late 70s after the devolution vote (yes/no) whatever it was termed

i do recall yes/no grafitti on walls etc - but wondered how it affected / divided the support (not long after argentina 78 was it)

ditto the 'troubles' of ulster & the heavy old firm infulence in 70s

I can't believe people actually didn't want us to have our own parliament, that's maybe even more mental than people not wanting independence.

The rules that were put in place aboot the vote in 1979 made it almost impossible to win. But the majority that did vote voted yes but it was less than the required turnout to allow it to stand.

Politics should be kept out of sport at all levels.

I find it concerning to the point of embarrasement when diehard Scots think a political vote can change their own personal feelings on nationality, and accept it like Gospel.

In the past when Scotland was invaded by England, it was Scots own personal feelings that even an INVASION couldn't change the fact that they are Scottish, that has endured Scotland to exist as a nation to this day.

A referendum could never kill Scotland, a national attitude that Scotland is dead because of which way a vote went.... could kill Scotland.

I was a youngster but I do recall FoS being seen as quite a rebellious song to sing on the terraces. Quite ironic that it should become mainstream via those conservative rugger boys.

I can remember a lot of anti poll tax chants and songs circa 1990...

I was a youngster but I do recall FoS being seen as quite a rebellious song to sing on the terraces. Quite ironic that it should become mainstream via those conservative rugger boys.

I can remember a lot of anti poll tax chants and songs circa 1990...

Denis Thatcher's wife's a hooooooooooooooor :sing:

I find it concerning to the point of embarrasement when diehard Scots think a political vote can change their own personal feelings on nationality, and accept it like Gospel.

In the past when Scotland was invaded by England, it was Scots own personal feelings that even an INVASION couldn't change the fact that they are Scottish, that has endured Scotland to exist as a nation to this day.

A referendum could never kill Scotland, a national attitude that Scotland is dead because of which way a vote went.... could kill Scotland.

Totally agree.

We are scots and someday we will rise again but only if the attitude is right.

The defeatist attitude of "we have lost he referendum so it wont happen" should be change to one of "It will happen next time"

I think the overriding point of the Tartan Army, of being a Scotland supporter, is to support the team. If bringing 'Politics' into this destroys that solidarity and makes people uncomfortable standing next to their fellow supporters because of what they voted, then that undermines the cause. So I'm comfortable with the idea of a Scotland game being somewhere that is free from overt politicisation and the divisiveness it may cause.

The fact there is a Scotland team existing, the fact that we support its existence, by turning up to watch and support the team, can be seen as 'political' in a wider sense. It keeps alive the ideas of Scotland as a distinct identity. If we didn't do this, the idea of Scotland would die. There are lots of dead nations. So, turning up at a Scotland football match, in this sense is political, in keeping the idea of Scotland (as opposed to north Britain) alive.

What is in Scotland's best interests in a Political sense is another question - that could be left on the outside of the turnstiles. It's a matter of opinion whether Scotland is better served being part of one kind of a union or another, at different times over history. At the moment, the majority considered, at the last time of asking, Scotland's interests best being served in the UK and in the EU (EEC). Those may change. There are seemingly lots of people who might like Scotland as an independent country, but not necessarily right now, given that was on offer in the referendum. I believe that many if not most Scots who voted No did so thinking it was best for Scotland. And for those who voted yes, I can't see any benefit in ostracising them or making them feel unwelcome, especially as those are exactly the people - (those who might like Scotland as an independent country) - who would be needed to join the Yes side on the next occasion.

The next matches will be strange and uncomfortable for many - the anthem a bit thorny or emotional - possibly the venues and opposition - but these are small fleeting things, compared with the wider Scotland cause, the historic continuing idea of Scotland.

In another context, that man off the telly said there is no more yes or no campaigns, but One Scotland. Under 'Politics', I agree that the cause for independence continues, but in the Tartan Army context, are we not One Scotland?