Politics At Scotland Games - Page 12 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Politics At Scotland Games

andyg83

I'm aware that the Home Nations each have a seat on the International Football Association Board and that the beef that African and Caribbean FAs have with this is massively over-egged on here.

What rule changes do these African and Caribbean FAs keep proposing that the Home Countries keep blocking to create and maintain the beef?

And even if the International Football Association Board was opened up to other FAs, why would that affect the status of the English, Northern Irish, Welsh and Scottish FAs?

aye, massively overegged. http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/scots-football-status-on-agenda-again-if-theres-a-no-vote-say-fifa-insiders.1409285056

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because by rights none of these teams should exist we want the UK to remain and the UK wants us. There have been many rumblings in the past about one country having 4 teams and it will raise it's head again. Now we don't really have much of an argument against it

Errr yes we do I believe the first international match ever was between our goodselves, throw in that England sort of set out the original rules for Association football and that explains where we are today. The worst that will happen is that those footballing titans of trinidad and Tobago led by that paragon of virtue Jack Warner and assorted bent FA's across africa will kick up a stink and we will lose this permanent vice president and rule making roles. Well to be honest, so what, it hasnt really done any of the home nation FA's much of a favour in the past.

Ive heard that some bookies now have Qatar as odds on to have the WC removed from them, following the corruption review that will eventually be made public. if thats true i'd wager that FIFA have more important things to worry about. The bookies rarely get it wronhg !!

Errr yes we do I believe the first international match ever was between our goodselves, throw in that England sort of set out the original rules for Association football and that explains where we are today.

I don't think the "it's my ball" argument really holds much water to be honest

I don't think the "it's my ball" argument really holds much water to be honest

Theres a little bit more to it than that though isnt there. I dont doubt the FA isnt very well liked across the globe for a number of reasons but when push comes to shove FIFA wont do it, I think the Scotland team and all the home nations teams are safe for a number of reasons not least because I think the UK is one of the biggest payers for TV rights to the WC and FIFA does love its money.

While we are at it - Scotland clearly invented football as a game not some plonk - or at least the oldest record of it being played is in Scotland not England.

Scottish football 'more than 500 years old'
_56119602_futballis464.jpg
World's oldest football/Pic: Smith Art Gallery & Museum
The world's oldest football was found behind panelling in Stirling Castle
Oldest football to take cup trip
"Organised" football was being played in castle courtyards in Scotland more than 500 years ago, experts have found.
Documents show a set of accounts from the court of King James IV indicating he paid two shillings for a bag of "fut ballis" in April 1497.
Beat that or even get close to it.
cue: "oh but we codified it" in an extremely bent voice...
Edited by thplinth

Exactly. "Fresh debate...is set to be ignited in the event of a no vote...FIFA insiders.."

Massive

Over

Egging

Mind when TeamGB at London 2012 was gonna be The End of Days? Well that was over two years ago now and lo and behold Scotland have a game tomorrow.

we hadnt voted not to be a Country in the last two years. To not think this has made the potential teamgb more likely. Is simply naive.

We hadn't vote not to be an INDEPENDENT country in the last two years.

Feel free to keep ignoring the facts if it suits your paranoia.

We hadn't vote not to be an INDEPENDENT country in the last two years.

Feel free to keep ignoring the facts if it suits your paranoia.

If you do not vote for independence is stands to reason you are voting to be a Dependency.

We now do not merit or deserve a national team. The Dependencists have fukked it.

Theres a little bit more to it than that though isnt there. I dont doubt the FA isnt very well liked across the globe for a number of reasons but when push comes to shove FIFA wont do it, I think the Scotland team and all the home nations teams are safe for a number of reasons not least because I think the UK is one of the biggest payers for TV rights to the WC and FIFA does love its money.

I tend to agree. A UK team would only be a serious possibility if the English FA and fans (i mean the ones who go to games, not the folk who jump on the bandwagon at EC/WC's) wanted it. Which they don't.

there's few saying more boring to me than "politics and football don't mix". It's total bollox; did some tory infest this poison into the drinking water or something haha. politics is everywhere and anything.

If Scotland supporters can't openly express nationhood what's it for? Nationhood is politics, like it or lump it. There's no bigotry in it. What an insult.