Politics At Scotland Games - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Politics At Scotland Games

andyg83

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why didn't the question on the ballot paper not just say "Should Scotland become a country?"

The BBC comment is directed at folk that are still blaming the BBC for the outcome of the referendum. If we are to move forward we need the BBC onside - its not going anywhere. It's like blaming the ref or the dodgy pitch if you lose. The BBC is part of the landscape and you're not going to be able to stop the electorate from listening to it.

It is perfectly reasonable to blame the BBC. If you are told something from a source you trust why would you not believe it if you don't challenge it. Plenty of people fall into that category. The Yes campaign could have made the most convincing case ever and still failed faced with this.

The only people that call Scotland a country is people in Scotland. Scotland is not recognised as a country by any other nation in the world. We are a region. We might as well call ourselves a planet for all it matters. Just becasue we call ourselves a country it doesn't make us a country.

The UK is our country and Scotland is a region of that. Having devolution does not change that as many other countries have decentralised devolution.

Is Andalusia a country? Is Britanny a country? Are the Aland Islands a country. They have just as much if not more right to call themselves a country as we do. But just as us they are not recognised countries, they are a part of Spain, France and FInland.

Germany is made up of constituant states, they are also not countries, they are part of Germany.

Would disagree with that, England is a country as is Scotland, currently in a union with Wales and NI. The union may not last forever but England and Scotland are definitley countries IMHO ;-)

It is perfectly reasonable to blame the BBC. If you are told something from a source you trust why would you not believe it if you don't challenge it. Plenty of people fall into that category. The Yes campaign could have made the most convincing case ever and still failed faced with this.

You lost it on the financials again IMHO. You need to reassure all those people who are comfortable that they will remain so. Turkeys dont vote for xmas !!

You lost it on the financials again IMHO. You need to reassure all those people who are comfortable that they will remain so. Turkeys dont vote for xmas !!

That, plus the Yes campaign wasn't savvy enough to win over the BBC. They should have also won over at least either The Daily Record or The Scottish Sun before the campaign started.

By the time the next referendum comes around chances are there won't be daily newspapers - The Sun will probably be the last to go. Whatever is considered the Main Stream Media next time around has to be won over or at least neutralised by the Yes vote.

I'd wager that the BBC will still exist next time around, the Yes campaign need to get into bed with it now. Understand its editorial policy from a London and Glasgow persective, once you've got that understanding subtly challenge and question to ensure its at least balanced. Buring effigies of Nick Robinson outside Pacific Quay won't cut it (although I do think he's a smarmy annoying twat).

Imagine:

A collective of bigoted (defined ad infinitum) supporters, intolerant of others as a result of their political wish to remain part of a union/seek independence (delete as applicable). Their bigotted attitude results in insults, claims of ignorance and ultimately violence towards fellow countrymen. Sound familiar? - the Old Firm hatred for each other which many of the above posters, quite rightly in my opinion, denounce. No, this is now the attitude of many of these same 'Yes' voting Scotland fans against the people they would previously have stood shoulder-to-shoulder with several months ago, their cries that Religion and Politics should be kept out of sport now sound very hollow and they have lost all credibility!

Scotland has long suffered from the Old Firm bigotry, the last thing it needs now is bigotry amongst ourselves based on how individuals voted in the referendum. I am proud to support my country in all sports, hugely proud of our history and heritage and also voted No because I believe the case wasn't made for independence. If that case is made in the future I may well vote Yes - who knows? For the record, I will also sing FoS loud and proud to show my support for the team. It is a song based on a 700 year old historical event which is proudly remembered by us all, not a declaration of independence or war against England and definitely not the preserve of Yes voters. 'We can still rise now and be a nation again' but only if we get over the bigotry!

Let's just leave the past behind and get back to doing what we do best, supporting Scotland.

The most pathetic ridiculous post of the year.

If anything that reinforces my belief that Scotland isn't a country recognised by anyone. You need others to recognise you to be a country.

It also includes Canada, Russia, India and South Africa as multi nation states. What are these nations?

Is Quebec a country? I don't know anyone that would say it is. It's a part of Canada to most in the world.

As for Russia, South Africa and India. I don't even know the other countries within them. That's how recognised they are!

Edited by iainmac1

No voters can go take a run and jump, didn't have the courage to go against the most EMBARASSING campaign ever produced in history. 'The case wasn't made' get to . Look at how much things have 'changed' in a week. Anyone that thinks we couldn't be more successful as an independent nation than the UK need put down.

If anything that reinforces my belief that Scotland isn't a country recognised by anyone. You need others to recognise you to be a country.

It also includes Canada, Russia, India and South Africa as multi nation states. What are these nations?

Is Quebec a country? I don't know anyone that would say it is. It's a part of Canada to most in the world.

As for Russia, South Africa and India. I don't even know the other countries within them. That's how recognised they are!

The canadian government recognise quebec as a country inside a country not that it's relevant.

No voters can go take a run and jump, didn't have the courage to go against the most EMBARASSING campaign ever produced in history. 'The case wasn't made' get to badger. Look at how much things have 'changed' in a week. Anyone that thinks we couldn't be more successful as an independent nation than the UK need flipping put down.

It was not their responsibility to vote the same way as you.

The Yes campaign had one objective: to convince the majority of the electorate to vote Yes. It failed.

It was not their responsibility to vote the same way as you.

The Yes campaign had one objective: to convince the majority of the electorate to vote Yes. It failed.

The Yes side promised one thing, to give us a NORMAL country. People instead chose to remain within the UK and make themselves powerless. NO voters still think we can be this proud wee quirky nation because we can still dress up in kilts and play the bagpipes, 90 minute Scots etc etc but when it comes to demanding the right to have our own powers and make politicians accountable to us (what being a nation should be about) we don't want it.

Nation of shitebags and look what we've got ourself into now? Surely after a week No voters must be regretting it?

Can feck off and watch team GB ya pricks.

The Yes side promised one thing, to give us a NORMAL country. People instead chose to remain within the UK and make themselves powerless. NO voters still think we can be this proud wee quirky nation because we can still dress up in kilts and play the bagpipes, 90 minute Scots etc etc but when it comes to demanding the right to have our own powers and make politicians accountable to us (what being a nation should be about) we don't want it.

Nation of shitebags and look what we've got ourself into now? Surely after a week No voters must be regretting it?

Can feck off and watch team GB ya people.

Like I said, the Yes side FAILED to convince the majority of the electorate. It had one thing to do and it FAILED.

You need to start looking at why the campaign failed, pointing your finger at your neighbour and calling him names isn't going to achieve anything.

Like I said, the Yes side FAILED to convince the majority of the electorate. It had one thing to do and it FAILED.

You need to start looking at why the campaign failed, pointing your finger at your neighbour and calling him names isn't going to achieve anything.

Scotland failed not the YES campaign. I don't know what more they could of done.

No voters should be ashamed.

Can feck off and watch team GB ya people.

dry your eyes ye fvd