Politics At Scotland Games - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Politics At Scotland Games

andyg83

Try pointing out something that isn't obvious :blink:

Has this not always been the case ?

The difference is we had not been asked if we wanted to be a country before. We have now said we don't so have a very flimsy argument for keeping it.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference is we had not been asked if we wanted to be a country before. We have now said we don't so have a very flimsy argument for keeping it.

Perhaps, but this has always been a possible issue.

It doesn't appear to be on the FIFA "things to discuss list" and given our position as one of the 4 permanent "vice president" associations we have always been in a strong position

If this was pushed it would affect Englands status too, so I think its a non starter.

Do you seriously think Scotland wouldnt manage to be succesful economically as an independent nation? Especially with the financial mess the UK is actually in? Worst case scenario after Indy IMO wouldve been similar to the way it is now. We had the potential to do so much better than rUK. Shame.

Shame I agree but If there was a strong economic case to be made for independence it would have been first and foremost in the Yes campaigns armour , but yet it wasn’t , this is why wasn’t this headlined instead of vague populist cat poster phrases about fairness etc that mean something different to everyone.

As a scientist I’m a deferred nationalist - I would have liked to vote Yes but not at any cost , it wasn’t hope over fear for me more reason over rhetoric - I don’t think we have a good set of conditions for the structural change required ,if that changes the clamour for independence would been undeniable

Why paint the UK as a failure its isn’t, the debt applies to all global economies and the UK is managing it , anyone who does business there knows that that’s why it’s a world centre for business health and education Say what you like about social justice but you would rather live in Germany , Ireland , France at the moment if you are poor ? we have a larger benefit provision per head than anywhere in the European Union .

The UK combined is fastest growing economy in Western Europe and Japan we benefit from that illustrated by the recent unemployment figures

On your point the worst case would be the same is open to question - with global economics and volatile markets the worst case is always worse than politicians will admit - the worst case would be a fall into structural recession

Perhaps, but this has always been a possible issue.

It doesn't appear to be on the FIFA "things to discuss list" and given our position as one of the 4 permanent "vice president" associations we have always been in a strong position

If this was pushed it would affect Englands status too, so I think its a non starter.

You are missing the point. Some people are saying we shouldn't be talking about the referendum in relation to the national team. I am just explaining why that is utterly ludicrous

Fine talk about it. But it shouldn't be the raison d'etre for supporting the team.

The reason for supporting Scotland at international football is that i consider myself Scottish and Scotland my country.

55% of Scotland voted not to be a country. It's kind of obvious why the issues are related.

Shame I agree but If there was a strong economic case to be made for independence it would have been first and foremost in the Yes campaigns armour , but yet it wasn’t , this is why wasn’t this headlined instead of vague populist cat poster phrases about fairness etc that mean something different to everyone.

As a scientist I’m a deferred nationalist - I would have liked to vote Yes but not at any cost , it wasn’t hope over fear for me more reason over rhetoric - I don’t think we have a good set of conditions for the structural change required ,if that changes the clamour for independence would been undeniable

Why paint the UK as a failure its isn’t, the debt applies to all global economies and the UK is managing it , anyone who does business there knows that that’s why it’s a world centre for business health and education Say what you like about social justice but you would rather live in Germany , Ireland , France at the moment if you are poor ? we have a larger benefit provision per head than anywhere in the European Union .

The UK combined is fastest growing economy in Western Europe and Japan we benefit from that illustrated by the recent unemployment figures

On your point the worst case would be the same is open to question - with global economics and volatile markets the worst case is always worse than politicians will admit - the worst case would be a fall into structural recession

Im alright jack,

I am glad for you too, as you will be better off , though you could never bring youself to admit it

IMO we would've been MUCH BETTER OFF within 5-10 year after the initial hit. We are a rich rich nation yet we would rather let London control us? EMBARASSING.

Couldn't agree more on this post above. Bring on Saturday and will be getting behind the team, anyone who tries to impose there political stance yes or no will be politely told to "get tae". I am out with friends on my day off! Hope everyone behaves themselves and doesn't get involved in to many deep and meaningful conversations!!!

With all due respect, mate - stick to science. Your understanding of economics is rather poor.

Who on earth can disagree with the current engagement against the I.S?

I think people are entitled to question why the fk we are getting involved when there are plenty other countries inbetween us and Iraq? it's the UKs foreign policy that has put us in this position in the first place.

Could you point me to the stats that say UK has best benefits in E.U.

Thanks.

then why fork out on foreign aid?! not our problem then?

Going killing fowk in a country 2,500 miles away in my opinion is a fkin waste of money when we have PLENTY of problems that NEED money right here. The UK is hated across the world enough as it is, it should have been dealt with as through NATO.

Flower of Scotland is not our national anthem, at present the sporting anthem & a stirring one at that. I did feel the the negativity surrounding levein did transmit some nervousness onto the players in the last campaign? A relatively poor crowd is expected on Saturday & I would be surprised if the atmosphere was less than great. Ibrox is a square stadium & if the game goes our way then the noise will be great. Interesting to see how half-time pans out.

the post referendum feeling is one of great positivity with any negative feelings focused on fellow scots. some of those disappointed in Scots have chosen not to go to the England game. Others are boycotting the game due to the ticket prices. The atmosphere will be different.

so we face a scenario where many ignore our song & boo theirs.