Politics At Scotland Games - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Politics At Scotland Games

andyg83

Who is 'they' as oppose to 'you'?

The tartan army I know better than you?

Anyway far too much rubbish about who will and won't be singing fos and who has what right.the trouble that will occur if we do whatever in whatever stadium.the whole thing is getting a little tiresome.whatever good the referendum has done to unite people and get them thinking about politics for the first time,is quickly becoming undone by some cavemen on here.patriotism being replaced by extreme nationalism...

people are saying that the words sound empty now

the second verse is specifically about a national desire to rise and be a nation again

which we now know is / was never the case

what is the relevance of your extreme nationalism point

what do you think about the words of the song considering events

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is absolutely impossible to separate "nationalism" and the national fitba team, they go hand in hand. I for one don't give a fk if "No voters" feel awkward, not interested in the slightest. Going to watch the national team is somewhere where we can openly and loudly express our pride in our nation, if you are a No voter and want to pretend that you are all of a sudden proud of your nation then fine, who's to stop you? just as anyone wishes to express their pride in the 45 or Yes or in support of independence then it's the same. Isn't that the whole point of apparently living in a democracy?

To compare this to the OF's bigotry is insulting, the independence movement is not about hatred and persecution... well, not from our side it isn't anyway.

Good post

I for one will not be singing fos.

I do hope scotland games of the future become like yes rallys.

I dont want to sit beside a unionist so they can keep away till they decide theyre Scottish.

To the guy that said whats changed,we are now the only constituent part of the uk that has ever voted to be a member.

you going to sit in silence if we score?

To the guy that said whats changed,we are now the only constituent part of the uk that has ever voted to be a member.

Someone should probably tell that to Northern Ireland, who held a referendum on remaining part of the UK or becoming part of a United Ireland in 1973

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart

so do we stop going to watch the team then

I was gutted for a few days after the 18th, however the result of the referendum will never put me of supporting our country, life goes on, we go on & I'm sure we'll all have the chance to vote on the future of our country in the not too distant future.

Let's fill Ibrox to the rafters!!!

The snobbery at the rugby is enough to make you sick. I have been to plenty of Scotland rugby matches in the past and recently toyed with the idea of getting myself a few tickets for the rugby world cup (in England 2015). However, the truly crazy greedy prices for the tickets coupled with the fact that several of these so called Scotland supporting rugger supporters would rather wave a union jack and make potentially libellious lying statements in the press on behalf of their companies against an independent Scotland if they had the chance meant I decided to give these prats an almighty body swerve. Going to spend the cash on going to the darts at Lakeside instead!

Birds are nicer at the rugby mind! Lol.

Agreed with Scotland Rugby. Childishly anti English supporters that vote no and Tory all day long.

Get yourself to Glasgow Warriors mate. Better brand of rugby and more passionate crowds.

No we are a nation as much as England is.300 years ago we entered a partnership of mutual interest.the fact that the arseholes in the wee pocket of England down in the south east have forgotten and we are trying our best to remind them.we lacked courage because of the money aspect and people have genuine fears for their work.issues for us are the same as for the north of England.we have a very distinctive identity and persona recognised around the world...we are scotland rich in heritage and culture.why don't you move if you can't see that things are changing.we voted and we scared the Shit out of Westminster.for that I am eternally grateful.we are scotland...si let's get behind the team.

Edited by allyc

The tartan army...the greatest fans in the world.....

tbh the ta has become very 'scottish' if you like

i know that sounds daft

but a long time ago the national anthem was just a thing that happened before the game and there were no great 'national' celebrations at half time

if we are talking about returning to those times and its just about the football thats fine with me

but the indulgence in national fervour, which at times ive loved, just seems nonsence now for me

doesnt mean will ever stop supporting the team

haters are always gonna hate

Many people don’t consider themselves a unionist or nationalist just Scottish !

At Scotland games we are all Scotland fans , that is the only collective that should matter

Judging by some of the posts on this board some want to ram their own agenda and prejudice down the throats of all fans

So there will most likely be an attempt to polarise the support by splitting the Yes No fans probably by signing , if/when this happens I for one will be sad at what we have become

On another point this board has become more political than football, perhaps the mods (who have be noticeable by their absence recently) should separate into two sections , most clubs forums have no patience for this sort of thing

It is absolutely impossible to separate "nationalism" and the national fitba team, they go hand in hand. I for one don't give a fk if "No voters" feel awkward, not interested in the slightest. Going to watch the national team is somewhere where we can openly and loudly express our pride in our nation, if you are a No voter and want to pretend that you are all of a sudden proud of your nation then fine, who's to stop you? just as anyone wishes to express their pride in the 45 or Yes or in support of independence then it's the same. Isn't that the whole point of apparently living in a democracy?

To compare this to the OF's bigotry is insulting, the independence movement is not about hatred and persecution... well, not from our side it isn't anyway.

Definition of a bigot

A bigot is a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions differing from their own or intolerant of people of different political views, ethnicity, race, class, religion, profession, sexuality or gender.

So we are becoming bigots then if you read the definition. How can we take any moral high ground from antics of OF.

It's a sport for heavens sake. Ditch the tribalism and divisive politics and support the team.

Really worried about some peoples attitudes on here.

Soar Alba, as the first minister said.

"The dream will never die"

I am not a bigot, I have no hatred of the English or no voters.

But I also will strive for an independent Scotland, yes even at international games involving Scotland.

Alba GU brath

Edited by Robroysboy

I do hope scotland games of the future become like yes rallys.

I agree, Germany away was fantastic, more of that please.

I guess we just have to accept some people support "Scotland" for different reasons to others. To some it's just another fitba team, for me, it's FAR FAR more than that.

Soar Alba, as the first minister said.

"The dream will never die"

I am not a bigot, I have no hatred of the English or no voters.

But I also will strive for an independent Scotland, yes even at international games involving Scotland.

Alba GU brath

I agree, Germany away was fantastic, more of that please.

I guess we just have to accept some people support "Scotland" for different reasons to others. To some it's just another fitba team, for me, it's FAR FAR more than that.

The two posts above sum it up for me.

If you changed the reference to Scotland for Rangers and Celtic it would be ridiculed and slagged rotten by most folk on the board.

Sport isn't politics. It never should be. Why alienate and divide people that support the national team?

If you want to go to a yes rally then go to the march in edinburgh? Seems an incredibly bigoted and arrogant view that we should all toe the line and turn the matches into a statement for the benefit of the 45.

A lot of people I know in Germany (all yes voters) said the game had been hijacked a bit and that they hoped it wouldn't be repeated.

I really hope this all blows over and we can get back to some sort of normality.

Good luck you're a Scotland Fan then, as the support is far from the "Greatest in the World".

I'm not even convinced they're the Greatest in Scotland.

It's a stupid tag anyways what makes you the greatest. Surely the East Stirlingshire fans are, travel all over the country to watch them get pumped 9 out of 10 times.... Haha

The two posts above sum it up for me.

If you changed the reference to Scotland for Rangers and Celtic it would be ridiculed and slagged rotten by most folk on the board.

Sport isn't politics. It never should be. Why alienate and divide people that support the national team?

If you want to go to a yes rally then go to the march in edinburgh? Seems an incredibly bigoted and arrogant view that we should all toe the line and turn the matches into a statement for the benefit of the 45.

A lot of people I know in Germany (all yes voters) said the game had been hijacked a bit and that they hoped it wouldn't be repeated.

I really hope this all blows over and we can get back to some sort of normality.

I think if strachan wins against georgia the politics will be put on the back burner to a a degree, but unfortunately the england freindly is round the corner !

Strange decision to have that game so close to the referendum result.

After the events in george square post result, the potential for the same thugs to cause trouble is quite high.

Soar Alba

Edited by Robroysboy

oh I did[/quo
oh I did

You do realise what FoS is about? You also do realise that the referendum was a possible once in a lifetime opportunity? If so on both counts, you clearly didn't have much of a vested interest in the outcome regardless of your vote. You sing FoS with no hint of embarrassment till your heart's content. I certainly won't be.