Scottish player transfers - Page 209 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

9 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'm not sure the players in MLS are not getting called up based on their league.  There's better players ahead of them.

Disagree. He’s called up Barrie McKay, Jacob Brown, non-playing Ryan Fraser, and bit-part David Turnbull. Could also make room by not calling up players in different areas of the park that don’t get much game time like Jack and Shankland. 

He’s also had strikers/midfielders pull out of the squad fairly early and not replaced them. 

He clearly doesn’t rate the league or thinks it’s too far away for someone to sit on bench. 

8 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

That’ll test Clarke’s selection policy. Clearly doesn’t like picking from MLS, let’s see about the Saudi League. 

The way things are going he will need to hopefully be getting his air miles up we will have players in Saudi,USA, Austria,Italy, Greece, Germany and Belgium all at a decent level and if they do well will he consider them.

10 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'm not sure the players in MLS are not getting called up based on their league.  There's better players ahead of them.

Itll be the year 2040 and f9lk will still be going on about Gauld.

Yes exactly this, the comparison between the selection criteria for Gauld v Hendry is actual madness.

One is an established squad player and/or regular starter and has been for 2-3 years and the other is a guy who's arguably never been good enough but seems to have some weird cultish following

23 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Yes exactly this, the comparison between the selection criteria for Gauld v Hendry is actual madness.

One is an established squad player and/or regular starter and has been for 2-3 years and the other is a guy who's arguably never been good enough but seems to have some weird cultish following

Dont think gaulds been given much of a chance tbf. Hendrys club form has been stop start at best as well. Hes done well recently for scotland but he only really got a chance due to our limited options at centre back. 

I think gaulds recent form should really be rewarded with a place in the squad. Its maybe fair to say gauld should of been given a chance before now.

I think the comparison is due to the distance both will have to travel for games and the relatively average club careers both have had so far.

Saying that i like hendry and i think he could progress and become better with age and experience. His career has been stop start and i think he will benefit with another full season of playing games whereever that is although i would prefer that to be club brugge from a scotland perspective as travel from saudi will be tough.

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Looks like jack hendry might be heading to saudi to sign for gerrards team. Not sure thats the best move from a scotland viewpoint. Surely travel for home games will be tough. 

Probably make a huge wedge out there though.

He certainly will, and at 28 (for some reason I didn't think he was as old that!) his chances of landing a big money move are diminishing.

From a footballing point of view it isn't ideal, although, given his age, he's probably as good as he's going to get now.

1 hour ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Aye it's bizarre. 

I'd be surprised if Hendry isn't in the squad in September. By all means if his performances drop for us based on the league he's in, then he'll be dropped but it's his jersey, he's a starter and will remain so until his levels for Scotland drop/if they ever do. 

29 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I think the comparison is due to the distance both will have to travel for games and the relatively average club careers both have had so far.

There is no comparison other than distance. 

Hendry is a starter. He's not somebody looking for their first cap. 

41 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Aye it's bizarre. 

I'd be surprised if Hendry isn't in the squad in September. By all means if his performances drop for us based on the league he's in, then he'll be dropped but it's his jersey, he's a starter and will remain so until his levels for Scotland drop/if they ever do. 

Maybe a tad controversial but the Saudi like will be a higher standard than Scotland and Belgium.

Look at the standard of player Hendry will be up against. Even older Benzema and Ronaldo's are going to be much harder opponents than what the vast majority of Scottish teams have.

I originally thought Saudi would just be another China but moat of their teams now have at lwast 2 genuine stars and more and more good players like Neves, Hendry, Jota etc are getting added around them.

I believe its only a 10 team league. Wont take alot to turn it into a really decent standard.

15 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Maybe a tad controversial but the Saudi like will be a higher standard than Scotland and Belgium.

Look at the standard of player Hendry will be up against. Even older Benzema and Ronaldo's are going to be much harder opponents than what the vast majority of Scottish teams have.

I originally thought Saudi would just be another China but moat of their teams now have at lwast 2 genuine stars and more and more good players like Neves, Hendry, Jota etc are getting added around them.

I believe its only a 10 team league. Wont take alot to turn it into a really decent standard.

Exactly this. If anyone watched Saudi Arabia's world cup games you can clearly see they are playing good football there. Their entire international squad plays domestically.

It's definitely a lazy or ignorant argument to assume his standard is going to drop.

4 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

It should become a decent standard if they continue to heavily invest in it which they seem to be doing.

I am not really worried about the standard but i just hope hendry isnt put off turning up for scotland due to the travel time. 

Hes been pretty solid recently and i like his ability to carry the ball out of defence. I genuinely think he can improve alot and get better with more experience but his career has been stop start and thats halted his development imo. He needs another full season playing regular football and if thats in saudi arabia then thats fine by me. As long as he performs for scotland then i dont care where he plays.

21 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Romano has twitted offers from Az Alkmar and Belgian side Westerloo for Dire Mebude, Matthew Anderson is joining Admira Wacker in Austria for a season loan from Celtic.

Both finished 4th in their respective divisions last season so potentially good move for Mebude if there's a pathway there and decent chance of game time

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh thats fair enough. I just hope hendry is happy to do the travelling and clarke doesnt mind it either.

Travelling is one thing that doesn't appear to be an issue for him. Off the top of my head he's played for clubs in Scotland, England, Australia, Belgium, Italy and now it looks like Saudi Arabia!

1 hour ago, csinclair said:

Both finished 4th in their respective divisions last season so potentially good move for Mebude if there's a pathway there and decent chance of game time

33 minutes ago, csinclair said:

image.thumb.png.eeb406a92dd451e420f81d64cabad6d4.png

Both potentially really good moves if they're going to be involved in the first team. The Dutch league is a good standard and Sturm Graz I think could be playing in the Champions League next season.

Robbie Ure's move to AZ Alkmaar scuppered by Brexit it seems:

'KNVB (Dutch FA) rules state that non-EU youngsters aged 18 and 19 can only gain a work permit if they earn more than £3,250 per week.

And as Alkmaar were not prepared to offer a pay packet as lucrative as that, Ure will not be allowed to sign.

It's said that Ure is now back on home soil as he tries to plot his next steps to find a new club.'

37 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Dire Mebude is off to Westerloo they finished 4th in Belgium, Man city have a buy back not sure of fee.

Man Utd are considering West Has offer for Mctominay. 

Mebude fee is 1.6 million it looks like. When I watched him for Man city U23s last season he played on the right wing and the lad on the left Borges now looks to be going to West Ham for 15 million and I've got to say it didn't look like there was 13/14 million difference between them as players