Scottish player transfers - Page 212 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

1 minute ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I know. Folk suggesting he won't get picked as he's now playing in a league with likes of Ronaldo, Kante and Bernzema in it haha

I think its more the travel thats worrying. Long way especially for home games and games against western european countries.

49 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

Like a few on here felt a bit underwhelmed with Mebude going from City you Belgium but it's very hard to argue that the Belgian League is considerably more competitive than ours.

Top couple of teams maybe but i went to Cercle Brugge vs Genk in January and the standard was howling. 

Bigger crowds at Rugby Park too!

3 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I think its more the travel thats worrying. Long way especially for home games and games against western european countries.

I'm sure he'll survive. He can put on a private plane if he's that bothered. 

First class tickets both ways will barely touch his pay packet!

18 year old Ethan Laidlaw has signed for Brentford. With the amount of transfers of young Scots this window, it's pretty hard to keep up.

However, wanted to highlight this one because he's a striker and is going to an EPL team. No idea how good he is though. But there still seems to be a total lack of strikers coming through compared to other positions.

59 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

18 year old Ethan Laidlaw has signed for Brentford. With the amount of transfers of young Scots this window, it's pretty hard to keep up.

However, wanted to highlight this one because he's a striker and is going to an EPL team. No idea how good he is though. But there still seems to be a total lack of strikers coming through compared to other positions.

He’s joining their B team who play friendlies only. I guess if he does well he might make the first team in due course but it’s a long shot 

46 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

He’s joining their B team who play friendlies only. I guess if he does well he might make the first team in due course but it’s a long shot 

Fairly sure the intention with Doak was to go into their u19s or some other age group as well. But then was rapidly fast-tracked up to the first team. So you never know with Laidlaw. Especially since the players to contend with won't be as high a calibre as Liverpool. Same goes for Rory Wilson at Aston Villa. But this is obviously all just wishful thinking.

Ross Stewart or Kevin Nisbet are the 2 most likely to kick on this year and stake a bigger claim to get into our starting 11. 

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

Fairly sure the intention with Doak was to go into their u19s or some other age group as well. But then was rapidly fast-tracked up to the first team. So you never know with Laidlaw. Especially since the players to contend with won't be as high a calibre as Liverpool. Same goes for Rory Wilson at Aston Villa. But this is obviously all just wishful thinking.

Ross Stewart or Kevin Nisbet are the 2 most likely to kick on this year and stake a bigger claim to get into our starting 11. 

Or Conway at Bristol City

Luis Bink's moving to Coventry on loan from Italy. I know he's played for England at different levels before but also think I'm right in thinking that he has expressed a desire to play for us. I also think I'm right in saying that he can play in several positions the back. Be interesting to see how he gets on.

9 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Luis Bink's moving to Coventry on loan from Italy. I know he's played for England at different levels before but also think I'm right in thinking that he has expressed a desire to play for us. I also think I'm right in saying that he can play in several positions the back. Be interesting to see how he gets on.

Was interviewed over the summer saying his goal is a Scotland call up 

2 hours ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Or Conway at Bristol City

Of course. Forgot about him. Our striking options aren't too bad, actually. When all fit, there is Stewart, Shankland, Nisbet, McBurnie, Conway, Dykes and Adams. Hopefully at least 1 of them kicks on to new heights. Or some wonderkid emerges.

15 hours ago, GHfaeGTA said:

I remember Ali Coote going from Utd to Brentford B when it looked like he was the next big thing.  He’s now 25 and playing for Bohemians in Dublin. 

Just now, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Ryan Fraser to Celtic. This is growing legs. Have read it now on 3 or 4 sites. Apparantly Celtic need more Scottish players as per CL rules, and Fraser is being pursued...

Would be as good a move as Fraser could expect to get just now. Hopefully, it comes about.

9 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Would be as good a move as Fraser could expect to get just now. Hopefully, it comes about.

I think it's good for both Celtic and Fraser. How much, and how much are his wages could be the issue. Sometimes a move can change a players form. Who knows...

7 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I think it's good for both Celtic and Fraser. How much, and how much are his wages could be the issue. Sometimes a move can change a players form. Who knows...

I hope it's true. It's a sign of intent from Celtic (and Rodgers) to improve their homegrown player pool for the champions league. Which is, quite frankly, in a disgraceful state. 

Rodgers could get the best out of him on the pitch. Will Celtic experience whatever attitude issues he has though? Could be a decent signing if he behaves himself.

22 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I agree. A few seasons ago I would have been dismayed at the thought of him ending up back in Scotland at this stage of his career, but considering the turn his career has taken a move to Celtic is good. If he can stay fit I think he'll do well for them.

10 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Can a move change a players attitude.

Can easily see him looking brilliant in SPFL and looking like he should get  a call up but I doubt Clarke will be that forgiving.

13 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Can a move change a players attitude.

Can easily see him looking brilliant in SPFL and looking like he should get  a call up but I doubt Clarke will be that forgiving.

He looked brilliant at 18 in the SPFL for Aberdeen. He probably would have been called up sooner had he not disappeared down to the lower divisions in England for a while (which was the right call).

I've no idea what has caused this recent rift with Howe, but hopefully whatever manager takes him into their squad will be aware of his attitude issues and be able to deal with it.

Celtic desperately need champions league ready homegrown players. Ryan Fraser is one. I wonder who else would fit the bill, and not be totally out of their price range.

33 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

He looked brilliant at 18 in the SPFL for Aberdeen. He probably would have been called up sooner had he not disappeared down to the lower divisions in England for a while (which was the right call).

I've no idea what has caused this recent rift with Howe, but hopefully whatever manager takes him into their squad will be aware of his attitude issues and be able to deal with it.

Celtic desperately need champions league ready homegrown players. Ryan Fraser is one. I wonder who else would fit the bill, and not be totally out of their price range.

He downed tools at Bournemouth when they hit financial trouble, he had a shocking call off rate for Scotland and a major fall out with Clarke if I remember correctly.

Doubt if we will see him him back unless he wins player of the year in the champios league.

23 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

He downed tools at Bournemouth when they hit financial trouble, he had a shocking call off rate for Scotland and a major fall out with Clarke if I remember correctly.

Doubt if we will see him him back unless he wins player of the year in the champios league.

I'm fairly sure Fraser has been called up since that rift with Clarke. 

Fraser is in a bit of a unique situation since he is really our only out and out winger. Even if he isn't in the first 11, he is still a great secret weapon to bring off the bench when plan A isn't working. 

Forrest, who is almost certainly past it, is the only other I can think of. Maybe Oli Burke, but he flatters to deceive more often than not.

If Fraser was a left back, for example, I think Clarke, and the rest of us, would have given up on him long before now.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

He didnt down tools. His contract had expired when there was still a bunch of league games to play due to Covid if I remember correctly.

Alot of players in the same situation extended for a short period to cover the games. Fraser chose not to because he didnt want to risk getting injured and being left withour a club or putting a potential move at risk.

Im pretty certain this was the scenario from memory. He came in for lots of criticism at the time however I could fully understand it.

Harrison Ashby looking like he’s going to be loaned out to Swansea so a good chance of games for him next season. Crazy that we’ve gone from only having SOD and Palmer to Patterson, Hickey, Ralston, Ashby and Johnston as options for the present and future

On 7/29/2023 at 10:54 PM, csinclair said:

Harrison Ashby looking like he’s going to be loaned out to Swansea so a good chance of games for him next season. Crazy that we’ve gone from only having SOD and Palmer to Patterson, Hickey, Ralston, Ashby and Johnston as options for the present and future

Yeh great options & you forgot Calvin Ramsay😉Of the guys you mentioned the great thing only perhaps Ralston has reached him maximum level the others are all kids who could grow to be seriously top class players.