The Weather thread - Page 22 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

21 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Grit. We've got a big yellow container down the road. No one seems to know how to use it. We've got an excuse as we moved up from SE England and councils never provided them. 

Naive questions here. Is grit only for footpaths or can it be used on road (which has been a bit of a skating rink)? And is anyone up to date with legal implications about clearing snow/ice outside your property?

Cant help you on specific questions unfortunately but this link might help. There is a 24 hr helpline too , 01506 280000 though it will probably be a robot 🙄

https://www.westlothian.gov.uk/article/30888/Gritting-and-Winter-Maintenance

30 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Grit. We've got a big yellow container down the road. No one seems to know how to use it. We've got an excuse as we moved up from SE England and councils never provided them. 

Naive questions here. Is grit only for footpaths or can it be used on road (which has been a bit of a skating rink)? And is anyone up to date with legal implications about clearing snow/ice outside your property?

I only use it for the pavements. All the roads round my way tend to get gritted within a couple of days of a cold snap. They do the main routes first, then the wee side roads. It would help a lot if the folk who didn't know how to drive in winter conditions left their cars at home. Although, when there is virtually no public transport, it makes folk more likely to risk it. 

I hadn't even thought of any legal implications. I quite enjoy shovelling snow. 

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I only use it for the pavements. All the roads round my way tend to get gritted within a couple of days of a cold snap. They do the main routes first, then the wee side roads. It would help a lot if the folk who didn't know how to drive in winter conditions left their cars at home. Although, when there is virtually no public transport, it makes folk more likely to risk it. 

I hadn't even thought of any legal implications. I quite enjoy shovelling snow. 

Yesterday at work. My truck slid right off the road into the ditch. Tow truck to pull me out.. Oh aye, lovely weather. 40cm of snow....

20221216_084812.jpg

6 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Cant help you on specific questions unfortunately but this link might help. There is a 24 hr helpline too , 01506 280000 though it will probably be a robot 🙄

https://www.westlothian.gov.uk/article/30888/Gritting-and-Winter-Maintenance

Thank you for the link! Must say the roads and paths round my way have been pretty good. I remember years ago the local council did provide some sort of grit or salt box but that was a long time ago. I guess they thought we never got really bad conditions where we lived so no longer bothered, which may explain why the whole of SE England goes into panic mood if a snowflake falls.

Storm of the century is happening right now here in Ottawa. 50cm of snow coming, then freezing rain, 120km winds, then a cold snap -20. I'm not making this up. I'm working right through Christmas to help a few lads out that want time off. Should be interesting. Mrs.Ramy was smart, she booked off till next week... Be safe everyone..

On 12/23/2022 at 3:53 AM, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Storm of the century is happening right now here in Ottawa. 50cm of snow coming, then freezing rain, 120km winds, then a cold snap -20. I'm not making this up. I'm working right through Christmas to help a few lads out that want time off. Should be interesting. Mrs.Ramy was smart, she booked off till next week... Be safe everyone..

Not much weather news about Canada over here, only reported when hits New York area. A 'bomb cyclone' apparently the term. 

2 hours ago, Och Aye said:

Not much weather news about Canada over here, only reported when hits New York area. A 'bomb cyclone' apparently the term. 

We got the tail end of it. Ended up 40cm of snow, it was bad though. Loads of car pile up on the motorway. Yes, the States got hammered, not nice at all. Merry Christmas pal..

• 2 weeks later...

I see 2022 was the warmest year on record, with respect to the mean temperature being over 10 degrees for the first time since records began. Also hottest recorded temperatures set all over the country as well.

Think Scotland was 8.5 degrees

• 4 weeks later...

Global weather reports are most interesting

. It’s like the IPCC report from 2018 from 2000 of the world’s best climate scientists commissioned by the UN and subsequently ignored by major governments was correct. Forecasting increasingly regular unprecedented weather extremes. 

• 4 months later...

Tbh , it’s 5 years since the IPCC report from a couple of thousand of the planets leading climate scientists warned our Governments that unless we started reversing our destructive ways by 2025 then extinction was a possibility *.

As they have done since the first environmental warnings over 60 years ago, our governments do the bidding of their financial management. 
It should also be noted that the vast majority of humanity, about 7,500,000,000 of us, are considered “oxygen thieves “ by a group who believe they have prepared for whatever is coming. 

*It became obvious during lockdowns that the essential workers are not those who take most , do most damage and are quite useless societally 

right, my wet bucket hat has been in the freezer a bit, so gonna put it on and brave the 30 odd C plus to get some liquids. 

• 4 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, phart said:

Hottest June on record, just had an average of 17C for a day recorded as well for the first time as well. So hottest day.

well the first half of july looks really really poor,, never seen charts so bad for july before,, low pressure after low pressure, that said, this weekend looks warmish

Edited by hampden_loon2878

5 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

well the first half of july looks really really poor,, never seen charts so bad for july before,, low pressure after low pressure

Pretty standard for the Scottish summer holidays.

Absolutely nap that the good weather would end in time for the schools stopping. 

Edit...actually given that July is typically Scotland’s wettest month is it worth bringing the holidays forward a month? (Especially if we make the Euros 😁).

Edited by Toepoke

On 2/2/2023 at 9:06 PM, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Just in from walking Wallace.. -38 with the windchill tonight !! Oh my fuck !🥶🥶🥶

20230202_205828.jpg

39 degrees here yesterday. It's scorching hot and going to Bluesfest with Mrs.Ramy tonight to see Shania Twain..😳😳😳

Normally in Scotland when you get a massive plump of rain things cool down

Have you noticed that isnt happening lately  ?