The Weather thread - Page 21 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

These condensing boilers that are now mandated in law (cos they are eco friendly) all breaking down cos its too cold and their condense pipes freezing. Who would have thought that in a country like scotland?

fecking stupid idea in Scotland.  

Really? Where are they all breaking down? I cant see anything in the news. Have to say i have had condenser boilers for over 15 years and never had problems with them breaking down and that is during longer period than this of cold temperatures.
If boilers are going to break down it’s likely to be the winter thats no exactly rocket science. Maybe the boilers are old and need replaced but people are struggling to find the money for a big outlay like a boiler. Same would apply if they were traditional boilers. 

33 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Really? Where are they all breaking down? I cant see anything in the news. Have to say i have had condenser boilers for over 15 years and never had problems with them breaking down and that is during longer period than this of cold temperatures.
If boilers are going to break down it’s likely to be the winter thats no exactly rocket science. Maybe the boilers are old and need replaced but people are struggling to find the money for a big outlay like a boiler. Same would apply if they were traditional boilers. 

nope, a known problem with condensing boilers is that the condense pipe freezes in sustained cold weather.  My daughters flat has no heating due to this.  Phoned the letting agency and they say the maintenance team are working 24 hours a day fixing this problem all over the country. Also on Facebook few of my friends reporting same issue.

thankfully I have a boiler from 1974 that would make Freddy Kruger proud.  Asbestos, flued up a chimney but at least no condense pipe!

7 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

nope, a known problem with condensing boilers is that the condense pipe freezes in sustained cold weather.  My daughters flat has no heating due to this.  Phoned the letting agency and they say the maintenance team are working 24 hours a day fixing this problem all over the country. Also on Facebook few of my friends reporting same issue.

thankfully I have a boiler from 1974 that would make Freddy Kruger proud.  Asbestos, flued up a chimney but at least no condense pipe!

I am pretty sure maintenance teams were flat our in sub zero temperatures in the olden days too but I will take your word for it 😊

I have been bloody freezing in this house all week and only noticed my husband had the boiler still set at economy ! Turned it up last night when he was in the bath  and its a cosy wee house once more. 

Stay warm Malcolm ! 

4 hours ago, bonzo said:

We're having a wee break in krakow just now, -15° when we got here yesterday. 

Try find a studenty type boozer about 100 yards from the main square, it’s walls are covered in Newspapers I’m sure somebody will point you in the right direction, a real hidden gem full of non tourists and cheap as chips

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

That was a problem we had with our old combi boiler too but it was replaced recently and a newa condensate pipe fitted to the latest standard (much wider diameter). Hopefully less problems now.

3 hours ago, dan cake said:

Try find a studenty type boozer about 100 yards from the main square, it’s walls are covered in Newspapers I’m sure somebody will point you in the right direction, a real hidden gem full of non tourists and cheap as chips

Will be about there tonight will have a look, cheers.

9 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I am pretty sure maintenance teams were flat our in sub zero temperatures in the olden days too but I will take your word for it 😊

I have been bloody freezing in this house all week and only noticed my husband had the boiler still set at economy ! Turned it up last night when he was in the bath  and its a cosy wee house once more. 

Stay warm Malcolm ! 

😂😂. My daughters heating is back on after 48 hours thank gif.  That’s good, you can’t be skimping on heating in this weather!

15 hours ago, bonzo said:

We're having a wee break in krakow just now, -15° when we got here yesterday. 

We were there last weekend. It was cold, but nowhere near that. Even the day trip to Zakopane was above freezing, we were having to take layers off, and that’s halfway up the Tatra mountains!

1 hour ago, McTeeko said:

We were there last weekend. It was cold, but nowhere near that. Even the day trip to Zakopane was above freezing, we were having to take layers off, and that’s halfway up the Tatra mountains!

It's warming up only-4°. Went  to auschwitz this morning it was freezing but I didn't expect it any other way. 

13 hours ago, dan cake said:

Was it perhaps called viva la pinta?

On 12/15/2022 at 6:40 AM, Malcolm said:

These condensing boilers that are now mandated in law (cos they are eco friendly) all breaking down cos its too cold and their condense pipes freezing. Who would have thought that in a country like scotland?

fecking stupid idea in Scotland.  

On 12/15/2022 at 8:38 AM, TDYER63 said:

On 12/15/2022 at 9:17 AM, Malcolm said:

Well Malcolm, what can I say. You may be talking a load of bollox on the indyref thread but I have to give you credit here.

I am off work today so looking forward to a long lie and Mr Tidy is up at 7am . 

He says ‘ there is something wrong with the central heating there is no heating or hot water. I have a car breakdown so need to go ( he is an auto electrician) but I will call the plumber . ‘

Ten minutes later he calls back.

’Right,  I need you to go into the garage and get the wee heater. Put it in the boiler house, get an adapter and run it to the house and heat up the boiler house. This will hopefully defrost the frozen pipe. ‘ DONT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE ! ‘

😂😂

My heart sank, not because it was fookin freezing but because I would need to come clean about this on here. I cannot believe we have had no problems before and the minute I mention this the bloody boiler breaks down due to a frozen pipe. 

So I amble off to the garage in the snow like Scott of the antartic in my dressing gown and boots. Humpf the radiator and cable adapter across the garden. The cable gets caught in my pyjama bottoms and I trip and collapse in the snow. I am now soaking and freezing. Might be karma 😂

21 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Well Malcolm, what can I say. You may be talking a load of bollox on the indyref thread but I have to give you credit here.

He says ‘ there is something wrong with the central heating there is no heating or hot water. I have a car breakdown so need to go ( he is an auto electrician) but I will call the plumber . ‘

’Right,  I need you to go into the garage and get the wee heater. Put it in the boiler house, get an adapter and run it to the house and heat up the boiler house. This will hopefully defrost the frozen pipe. ‘ DONT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE ! ‘

😂😂

My heart sank, not because it was fookin freezing but because I would need to come clean about this on here. I cannot believe we have had no problems before and the minute I mention this the bloody boiler breaks down due to a frozen pipe. 

So I amble off to the garage in the snow like Scott of the antartic in my dressing gown and boots. Humpf the radiator and cable adapter across the garden. The cable gets caught in my pyjama bottoms and I trip and collapse in the snow. I am now soaking and freezing. Might be karma 😂

😂 oh dear, hope you get the pipe defrosted and warm up soon!   I think we are seeing a lot of this just now as it’s the first sustained really cold spell we have had in ages.  I believe in Sweden that they install these pipes with little electric heaters on them for this very reason!

10 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

😂 oh dear, hope you get the pipe defrosted and warm up soon!   I think we are seeing a lot of this just now as it’s the first sustained really cold spell we have had in ages.  I believe in Sweden that they install these pipes with little electric heaters on them for this very reason!

Its bloody worked ! Went out to check and hit the reset button on the boiler as the boiler house was now warm. . Previously the boiler was making a clunking sound when I did this ( dont tell him i hit the reset button i was supposed to not touch anything!!) 

Anyway, the radiators are heating up now. Tidy’s top tip. Dont spend  £100 on a plumber just rummage in your garage for a heater  and cable and hey presto ! 😁

37 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

😂😂

You've got a boiler house???? A fukin "boiler house"? 

You're just trying to keep up with the Malcolms of this world, trying to pretend you've got a mansion with a "boiler house" in it.

I know you're looking for a new man but you'd need to be pretty fukin desperate to take up with this Malcolm Mitty fella. Don't send him any money, no matter how good a sob story he comes up with about not being able to afford to pay to "Swinney Penny for the National Health Service" tax.

Malcolm is not who you think he is. He is not a wealthy Nigerian prince with cash flow problems.

9 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

You've got a boiler house???? A fukin "boiler house"? 

You're just trying to keep up with the Malcolms of this world, trying to pretend you've got a mansion with a "boiler house" in it.

I know you're looking for a new man but you'd need to be pretty fukin desperate to take up with this Malcolm Mitty fella. Don't send him any money, no matter how good a sob story he comes up with about not being able to afford to pay to "Swinney Penny for the National Health Service" tax.

Malcolm is not who you think he is. He is not a wealthy Nigerian prince with cash flow problems.

😂😂

Do you mean,  does not everyone have a boiler house ?? 😁 This is it. I will maybe just call it ‘ the extension’ in future,  thats a bit more humble . 
Could do with a lick of paint come to think of it . 

2CA1FFFD-C6E3-4C29-8A3F-9C342FC1FC63.thumb.jpeg.c315307b416deb39a26680faf82b21a2.jpeg

30 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

😂😂

Do you mean,  does not everyone have a boiler house ?? 😁 This is it. I will maybe just call it ‘ the extension’ in future,  thats a bit more humble . 

2CA1FFFD-C6E3-4C29-8A3F-9C342FC1FC63.thumb.jpeg.c315307b416deb39a26680faf82b21a2.jpeg

An old coal cellar? Nice you built it high so the servants wouldn't bump their heads fetching the coal in. Very thoughtful 😉

37 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

😂😂

"Alexa, show me the difference between Bridge of Weir and Linwood...."

10 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

An old coal cellar? Nice you built it high so the servants wouldn't bump their heads fetching the coal in. Very thoughtful 😉

8 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

"Alexa, show me the difference between Bridge of Weir and Linwood...."

🤣🤣

I blame Mr Tidy ( as always…) He calls it the boiler house, I just go along with it to ensure we have at least one thing in common 😁 He probably gets it from the Daily Mail , there weren’t many boiler houses in Gallowhill where he was brought up.

I cant call it ‘old coal cellar’  as it conjures memories of me and my pals nearly burning down my grans block of 4 when we nicked candles from the chapel and built a wee den in her coal cellar.

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

😂😂

Should have worn your boiler suit.

Grit. We've got a big yellow container down the road. No one seems to know how to use it. We've got an excuse as we moved up from SE England and councils never provided them. 

Naive questions here. Is grit only for footpaths or can it be used on road (which has been a bit of a skating rink)? And is anyone up to date with legal implications about clearing snow/ice outside your property?