Team for Malta - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team for Malta

The Black Bra

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Bino's said:

we need to win our last three games

We can't win all three games on Monday night though. But we do have the chance to score as many goals as possible just in case we need them later on, if England beat Slovakia and we only manage a draw in Slovenia. I just hope that Strachan and the players know that goal difference could be important. 

Once we went 3-0 up on Friday I was hoping we would get another couple to boost the GD a wee bit. Although it was important we didn't concede one either. 

1 hour ago, The Black Bra said:

Would it not be down to head to head results if we are level on points with Slovakia?

They changed it for this tournament. It used to be head to head. But now it is goal difference, then goals scored and the head to head is now down to the 4th criteria for separating the teams.

24 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Malta only lost 2-0 to Eng. We can't assume a barrowload v them; we might have to settle for a late goal win.

That thought crossed my mind. And remember it took England ages the other night to go ahead. If we can score early then who knows but I will take any win as long as we win.

6 hours ago, Orraloon said:

We can't win all three games on Monday night though. But we do have the chance to score as many goals as possible just in case we need them later on, if England beat Slovakia and we only manage a draw in Slovenia. I just hope that Strachan and the players know that goal difference could be important. 

Once we went 3-0 up on Friday I was hoping we would get another couple to boost the GD a wee bit. Although it was important we didn't concede one either. 

we also need to win the last three to ensure not the worst second place side

although having conceded 10 goals hope Berra and Mulgrew can keep back door shut

I think swapping Ritchie for Forrest is the only change I'd make here. Forrest won't get much chance to run in behind against this mob who'll sit pretty deep, plus Ritchie crosses the ball well. A wee swerver from Ritchie, a late run into the box from Armstrong and there's the opening goal right there. At least that's how it plays out in my head lol

Edited by slasher

21 hours ago, Orraloon said:

They changed it for this tournament. It used to be head to head. But now it is goal difference, then goals scored and the head to head is now down to the 4th criteria for separating the teams.

As it should be in a league format.

J

Who else is on potential suspensions for the remaining games? I'd like to see an attacking lineup and mentality and hopefully get some early goals. Similar to the England game on Friday wouldn't do the health any good. 

At least the objectives are straightforward. Must win the rest of our games. Nothing less. 

Guys on a yellow card already at risk of suspension for the Slovakia game are Hanley, Brown, McArthur and Griff

Griff and Brown we cant afford to lose for the Slovakia game i'd maybe put Brown on the bench so we dont risk a yellow and get Griff off as soon as possible probably when have a 2 goal lead

Cant wait for this game 

While we are playing Malta - we are Scotland!  This will not be easy. (see - France held at home to Luxembourg).

Same team but with Fraser in for Forrest.  Brown must start, no point in keeping him for a game that could become an irrelevance (and assuming he remains fit for).

While you get examples like Luxembourg last night (though to be fair, they were probably spurred on by their victory over Belarus on Thursday, and really, some of their results of late have not been that bad.... beat Albania and lost narrowly to Sweden, plus lost 4-3 away to Bulgaria) really we should not be worried against Malta at home.

Think we will get a 3-0 victory tonight, but I can see most those goals coming pretty late in the game when the difference in match fitness starts to show.

Would have liked the same 11, but Strachan's said that's not really going to happen given how much some players have played.
So...

Gordon
Anya - Martin - Mulgrew - Robertson
Fraser - Armstrong - McArthur - Morrison - Phillips
Griffiths

Rests a few of the Scottish based players who have played a lot already this season, Berra, Forrest, Tierney.. and protects Brown, avoiding a stupid booking. If he misses this game (where he's probably not needed) and gets thru the Slovakia game without a card, then great.

Stick to the mostly English based players to get them more game time, but let Griffiths get a couple of goals to keep his head up. Armstrong is so key right now.. I think Cairney can do a similar job, but oddly he's not in the squad.

6 minutes ago, andyD said:

Would have liked the same 11, but Strachan's said that's not really going to happen given how much some players have played.
So...

Gordon
Anya - Martin - Mulgrew - Robertson
Fraser - Armstrong - McArthur - Morrison - Phillips
Griffiths

Rests a few of the Scottish based players who have played a lot already this season, Berra, Forrest, Tierney.. and protects Brown, avoiding a stupid booking. If he misses this game (where he's probably not needed) and gets thru the Slovakia game without a card, then great.

Stick to the mostly English based players to get them more game time, but let Griffiths get a couple of goals to keep his head up. Armstrong is so key right now.. I think Cairney can do a similar job, but oddly he's not in the squad.

I assumed that comment was more to do with some players having not played a lot of football, for example Anya and Chris Martin? Just my interpretation. I'd be starting those who are fully match fit - although that team should beat Malta.

If Tierney drops out then it has to be Russell Martin in his place, allow us to go to a back three when going forward. 

Edit: Cairney pulled out of the squad, can't remember the reason though.

Edited by Manno

6 minutes ago, Manno said:

I assumed that comment was more to do with some players having not played a lot of football, for example Anya and Chris Martin? Just my interpretation. I'd be starting those who are fully match fit - although that team should beat Malta.

If Tierney drops out then it has to be Russell Martin in his place, allow us to go to a back three when going forward. 

Edit: Cairney pulled out of the squad, can't remember the reason though.

Cairney out with a knee Injury. Seen he was back at Fulham getting treatment on it the other day.

Same team for me, one of the biggest things I (and many others) have been upset about is consistensey in selection, would've been handy if Brown could've taken a yellow for the team on Friday, but it wasn't to be. 

Show them the same respect that we showed Lithuania on Friday and play the strongest team available. 

Thatll get the fans back again :ok: