The Brexit Thread - Page 119 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

Brexit party set to be joint largest in EU parliament!

🇬🇧 Brexit 29 seats
🇩🇪 CDU 29
🇮🇹 Lega 28
🇵🇱 PiS 23
🇫🇷 RN 22
🇫🇷 Ren. 21
🇩🇪 Grüne 21

15 minutes ago, exile said:

Brexit party set to be joint largest in EU parliament!

🇬🇧 Brexit 29 seats
🇩🇪 CDU 29
🇮🇹 Lega 28
🇵🇱 PiS 23
🇫🇷 RN 22
🇫🇷 Ren. 21
🇩🇪 Grüne 21

That's pretty meaningless as the EU parliament is all about voting blocks and the part that Farage would be part of will not have any form of majority and that's without considering that in the past all these "anti-EU" parties have all fallen out with each other.

4 minutes ago, aaid said:

That's pretty meaningless as the EU parliament is all about voting blocks and the part that Farage would be part of will not have any form of majority and that's without considering that in the past all these "anti-EU" parties have all fallen out with each other.

Anti-EU parties working together would be ironic.

6 minutes ago, aaid said:

Ironic nevertheless.

Anyway aguably all the UK MEPs are meaningless. 

For those people interested in these things.  

The way that the seat allocation broke down was as follows - at each round, you take the number of votes divided by the number of seats won + 1 and the party with the largest vote takes the seat at that round..

1st seat - SNP - 594553.
2nd seat - SNP - 297276 (=594553/2)
3rd seat - Brexit - 233006
4th seat - Lib Dems - 218285
5th seat - SNP - 198184.3 (=594553/3)
6th seat - Tories - 182476

Interesting aside - for those people who talk about the Indy vote being split - even if everybody that voted Green voted for the SNP the Tories would still have won the final seat by just over 1000 votes.

3 minutes ago, aaid said:

For those people interested in these things.  

The way that the seat allocation broke down was as follows - at each round, you take the number of votes divided by the number of seats won + 1 and the party with the largest vote takes the seat at that round..

1st seat - SNP - 594553.
2nd seat - SNP - 297276 (=594553/2)
3rd seat - Brexit - 233006
4th seat - Lib Dems - 218285
5th seat - SNP - 198184.3 (=594553/3)
6th seat - Tories - 182476

Interesting aside - for those people who talk about the Indy vote being split - even if everybody that voted Green voted for the SNP the Tories would still have won the final seat by just over 1000 votes.

how far away were the greens from getting a seat?   

5 minutes ago, stocky said:

how far away were the greens from getting a seat?   

Some distance - they were 53000 behind the Tories.  They were only 17000 behind Labour though - which must be very concerning for them.

Interesting to compare the actual results to the Scotland wide Panelbase poll from the week before the election (poll/actual)

SNP 38/38
BREXIT 15/16
LIB DEMS 10/14
TORY 11/12
LAB 16/9
GREEN 4/8

Pretty much spot on as far as the SNP, Brexit and Tories were concerned - way out with the others.

Edited by aaid

I see Ian Murray throwing the toys out the pram, calling the leadership Tory sleepers (!) 

(On Twitter) "The labour leadership refused to listen to me, their members & their supporters. Maybe now they’ll listen to the voters? We were hearing this day in, day out but they simply didn’t want to know. They stitched up the NEC & manifesto. I’m starting to wonder if they r Tory sleepers."

...and no surrender on the indy front either "we will never, ever, deal with the SNP on this." In the Scotsman (or National)

Just now, exile said:

I see Ian Murray throwing the toys out the pram, calling the leadership Tory sleepers (!) 

(On Twitter) "The labour leadership refused to listen to me, their members & their supporters. Maybe now they’ll listen to the voters? We were hearing this day in, day out but they simply didn’t want to know. They stitched up the NEC & manifesto. I’m starting to wonder if they r Tory sleepers."

...and no surrender on the indy front either "we will never, ever, deal with the SNP on this." In the Scotsman (or National)

If that wee fud needed a kidney he'd demand that the doctors made sure the donor isn't an SNP voter or independence supporter !

3 hours ago, aaid said:

Interesting to compare the actual results to the Scotland wide Panelbase poll from the week before the election (poll/actual)

SNP 38/38
BREXIT 15/16
LIB DEMS 10/14
TORY 11/12
LAB 16/9
GREEN 4/8

Pretty much spot on as far as the SNP, Brexit and Tories were concerned - way out with the others.

Heard John Curtice on the radio earlier saying the SNP polled almost identically to the 2017 General Election which was seen as a terrible result for them, whereas last night was seen as a huge victory.  He said in reality both descriptions were a bit of an exaggeration. 

28 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

(PA Graphics)

Saw that graph a few times today but it’s nonsense. The tories are a brexit party and, at the most charitable you could be, labour would be 50/50, so in actual fact leave parties got a bigger overall vote share. That said, it’s a fairly meaningless stat anyway.

1 minute ago, wee-toon-red said:

Saw that graph a few times today but it’s nonsense. The tories are a brexit party and, at the most charitable you could be, labour would be 50/50, so in actual fact leave parties got a bigger overall vote share. That said, it’s a fairly meaningless stat anyway.

Not really - i think the point is that they cancel each other out

There are many in the Tory party that are remainers too

1 minute ago, Ally Bongo said:

Yeah, I think the best way you can think of the labour and Tory rump are "don't knows". 

9 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

They both campaigned on a Brexit platform though, so voters who voted for them surely must back brexit?

9 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Really?  Tories want Brexit, some want a No deal Brexit, others want a different Brexit but they want some type of Brexit.  The only fault line amongst MPs is whether they'd prefer no Brexit to a NO deal Brexit but they'd all prefer leaving the EU

10 minutes ago, Bonny79 said:

No deal brexit would be OK.   The WTO rules are fair and transparent. 

What are these rules?

Name a country who uses them successfully?

Even your wank material Farage couldnt answer the second question, people like you talk absolute utter shite about something that you know nothing about.