The Brexit Thread - Page 121 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

24 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I'm immediately reminded of the Alistair Carmichael case where it was accepted that he lied but that he got off because it was a "political lie".

However, that was a different set of legislation and was aimed at forcing a re-run of his 2015 election.

5 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

John Cleese says London isn't an English City and is defiant when asked to clarify 

Is he right ?

Is he a racist ?

Is he both ?

Why would you say that if you were not racist (especially when you don't live there)

So many Brexit related questions 

I am starting to get a little worried now of what lies ahead seeing how many stupid cunts can be enthralled by Farage 

How is it racist?

4 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

How is it racist?

You do know the difference between a question and a statement ?

9 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

“Why would you say that if you were not racist (especially when you don't live there)“

"Why" signifies a question does it not ? 

32 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

John Cleese says London isn't an English City and is defiant when asked to clarify 

Is he right ?

Is he a racist ?

Is he both ?

Why would you say that if you were not racist (especially when you don't live there)

I am starting to get a little worried now of what lies ahead seeing how many stupid cunts can be enthralled by Farage 

John Cleese isn't racist 

25 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Is he right ?

Is he a racist ?

Is he both ?

I've been saying something very similar for some time.   However what I say - very specifically - is "London is not England" and that's that culturally, socially, politically and by its demographics, London is very different from the rest of England and particularly politically it would be a big mistake to assume otherwise and either extrapolate what happens in London to the rest of England and vice versa.

I don't think this is a capital city, or even just a city thing, but more that London is one of the few global cities in the world and so is markedly different.   

That's not racist, I happen to believe that London is a lot better for being a multi-cultural melting pot - arguably it has been for centuries.    I'm not sure that's a view Cleese shares though.

Just now, aaid said:

I've been saying something very similar for some time.   However what I say - very specifically - is "London is not England" and that's that culturally, socially, politically and by its demographics, London is very different from the rest of England and particularly politically it would be a big mistake to assume otherwise and either extrapolate what happens in London to the rest of England and vice versa.

I don't think this is a capital city, or even just a city thing, but more that London is one of the few global cities in the world and so is markedly different.   

That's not racist, I happen to believe that London is a lot better for being a multi-cultural melting pot - arguably it has been for centuries.    I'm not sure that's a view Cleese shares though.

Racist 

26 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Here's Peter Hitchens slyly getting his bit in too

https://unherd.com/2019/05/why-we-need-a-more-british-capital/

Snort. A unionists wet dream. 

“But after some thought I have settled on battered, warlike Portsmouth with its constant reminder of our seaborne heritage, and its harsh and unpretty edges. In Portsmouth you cannot ever forget, even in the supposedly soft south, that plenty of British people have lives that are far from being easy or affluent. I have settled on it because I love that old and often ugly city in spite of itself, and because I don’t think I know anywhere more concentratedly British, in the way that we used to use the word before devolution got a grip on us.”

For decades anyone who has spoken against high levels of immigration has been smeared as racist / BNP / etc... And that 'killed' the debate and resistance to it, but it was a cheat and every time it was used it built up a layer of resentment and anger until finally came the referendum and their golden chance to stick it up your arses royally. Just keep going calling them racists...see where it takes you... I just cant wait for the GE now. Should be hilarious.

Edited by thplinth

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

For decades anyone who has spoken against high levels of immigration has been smeared as racist / BNP / etc... And that 'killed' the debate and resistance to it, but it was a cheat and every time it was used it built up a layer of resentment and anger until finally came the referendum and their golden chance to stick it up your arses royally. Just keep going calling them racists...see where it takes you... I just cant wait for the GE now. Should be hilarious.

Well said

Secret racists fucking love guys like Trump and Farage

They get a hard on when they see the absolute scum they appeal to 

14 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Secret racists fucking love guys like Trump and Farage

They get a hard on when they see the absolute scum they appeal to 

What’s a secret racist?

Guess virtue signaling is easier than replying to what thplinth wrote. 

Calling people racists doesn’t work anymore. A hand that’s been overplayed.

Edited by ParisInAKilt

2 hours ago, aaid said:

You're spot on. I think in Scotland we often assume that London = England but that's very much not the case. Much of England is monocultural, parochial and slightly backward, compared to young, hip, rich, vibrant London.

I don't just mean a few villages in the Cotswolds here either, this applies large centres of population too.  Ignored, undervalued and underfunded for years, Brexit was their chance to rattle the cage, and, for better or worse, they rattled it. 

Edited by scotlad
Typo

6 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

What’s a secret racist?

Guess virtue signaling is easier than replying to what thplinth wrote. 

Calling people racists doesn’t work anymore. A hand that’s been overplayed.

Clearly a secret racist is someone who doesnt want anyone to know they are a racist

Thought that was obvious

My point had nothing to do with his which is true

Mine is the other end of the spectrum and also true

3 minutes ago, scotlad said:

You're spot on. I think in Scotland we often assume that London = England but that's very much not the case. Much of England is monocultural, parochial and slightly backward, compared to young, hip, rich, vibrant London.

I don't just mean a few villages in the Cotswolds here either, this applies large centres of population too.  Ignored, undervalued and underfunded for years, Brexit was their chance to rattle the cage, and, for better or worse, they rattled it. 

Backward is harsh but I know what you mean, at the same time you could say that about large parts of the western countries

Just now, Ally Bongo said:

Clearly a secret racist is someone who doesnt want anyone to know they are a racist

Thought that was obvious

My point had nothing to do with his which is true

Mine is the other end of the spectrum and also true

Expect what is deemed racist now is mostly nonsense and just used to silence people rather than debating legitimate concerns. 

4 hours ago, thplinth said:

It was happening here 15 years ago whenever Kernie tried to raise it.