The Brexit Thread - Page 122 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

Wait a minute are we liking London now?  For years and years that London has been slagged.  Scots on here who choose to move to "hell" and benefit would highlight their Scottishness to ensure they had not went native.  

Now we are celebrating it's youth, multiculturalism, liberalism and "get up and go".  An interesting change.

4 minutes ago, Alan said:

Wait a minute are we liking London now?  For years and years that London has been slagged.  Scots on here who choose to move to "hell" and benefit would highlight their Scottishness to ensure they had not went native.  

Now we are celebrating it's youth, multiculturalism, liberalism and "get up and go".  An interesting change.

What posts specifically inform this opinion. Cause i'm not seeing any going on about "youth, multiculturalism, liberalism and "get up and go"."

To me that is London.  It's not an English city.  It's definitely a British city with so many people from all over the UK attracted to it.  It's also an international city only rivalled by New York.  

21 minutes ago, Alan said:

To me that is London.  It's not an English city.  It's definitely a British city with so many people from all over the UK attracted to it.  It's also an international city only rivalled by New York.  

I don't see how you can say it's a British city but not an English one on the basis that people from all over the UK are attracted to it.  

Are only people from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland attracted there?  If people who are from England attracted there as well - and they obviously are - why not an English city  as well as a British one.

It's certainly an international one and I say that's the most accurate way to describe it.  I think it's telling that people tend to describe themselves as Londoners regardless of where they originated. 

1 hour ago, phart said:

It was happening here 15 years ago whenever Kernie tried to raise it.

What I find delicious is that by doing so 'they' have directly created Farage, UKIP, BREXIT and a massive right wing resurgence across the entire continent, and western world at this point. They do not recognize that 'these people' are not actually 'right wing' or anything really but they have absolutely grown to hate neo-liberalism / the alt left, with a passion, and who can blame them. I said it to you before the migrant crisis was entirely engineered in order to drive people to the right, and it is working. Merkel has done more to destroy the EU than anyone I can think of. And that is whom Sturgeon models herself on IMHO. These pricks are responsible for the resurgent right. They created it and now it is going it is going to be a cunt to stop. Ha ha.

3 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Backward is harsh but I know what you mean, at the same time you could say that about large parts of the western countries

It is, and I tried to think of a better expression to convey what I was meaning but couldn't (mibee I'm a bit backward too!).

Visit some English provincial towns and you feel like you've gone back in time 20 years, and not in a good way. It's the same here too, undoubtedly, but on a smaller scale.

The UK, though, is very centred towards its capital (more so than, say, Germany), the result being a genuinely stunning, global city at the expense of dozens of provincial towns and cities with very little reason to visit or stay there.

21 minutes ago, aaid said:

I don't see how you can say it's a British city but not an English one on the basis that people from all over the UK are attracted to it.  

Are only people from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland attracted there?  If people who are from England attracted there as well - and they obviously are - why not an English city  as well as a British one.

It's certainly an international one and I say that's the most accurate way to describe it.  I think it's telling that people tend to describe themselves as Londoners regardless of where they originated. 

From my experience Londoners of any background, class, colour, ethnicity etc would describe themselves as British over English.  But it's a melting pot so someone could call themselves as British, English and Nigerian for example due to family background.

1 minute ago, Alan said:

From my experience Londoners of any background, class, colour, ethnicity etc would describe themselves as British over English.  But it's a melting pot so someone could call themselves as British, English and Nigerian for example due to family background.

I'm sorry but in my life I've only ever heard one person describe themselves as British, i.e. not English, Welsh, Irish, Scots or any other nationality but very specifically British and it stuck in my mind because it was so unusual.

That was a girl who I worked with who was from the Falkland Islands.

30 minutes ago, aaid said:

I'm sorry but in my life I've only ever heard one person describe themselves as British, i.e. not English, Welsh, Irish, Scots or any other nationality but very specifically British and it stuck in my mind because it was so unusual.

You and me are both British 

40 minutes ago, thplinth said:

I said it to you before the migrant crisis was entirely engineered in order to drive people to the right, and it is working. Merkel has done more to destroy the EU than anyone I can think of. 

Why did they engineer this?

I've always believed (certainly in Germany's case) it was about dealing with their ageing demographic problem (sometimes referred to as 'the pensions timebomb'), rather than to foster right-wing political parties. 

3 hours ago, scotlad said:

It is, and I tried to think of a better expression to convey what I was meaning but couldn't (mibee I'm a bit backward too!).

Visit some English provincial towns and you feel like you've gone back in time 20 years, and not in a good way. It's the same here too, undoubtedly, but on a smaller scale.

The UK, though, is very centred towards its capital (more so than, say, Germany), the result being a genuinely stunning, global city at the expense of dozens of provincial towns and cities with very little reason to visit or stay there.

I lived in London mid 90s ; moved to Weymouth for a summer ; area appears lovely on broadchurch etc , but was a massive step back in time and locals were weird ( then theres Portland )

3 hours ago, aaid said:

Loads of folks use the “british” term

esp in north america , where english and british are pretty inter changeable ( unfortunately) as huge lack of understanding; esp in US

3 hours ago, thplinth said:

What I find delicious is that by doing so 'they' have directly created Farage, UKIP, BREXIT and a massive right wing resurgence across the entire continent, and western world at this point. They do not recognize that 'these people' are not actually 'right wing' or anything really but they have absolutely grown to hate neo-liberalism / the alt left, with a passion, and who can blame them. I said it to you before the migrant crisis was entirely engineered in order to drive people to the right, and it is working. Merkel has done more to destroy the EU than anyone I can think of. And that is whom Sturgeon models herself on IMHO. These pricks are responsible for the resurgent right. They created it and now it is going it is going to be a cunt to stop. Ha ha.

As a "meta thought" on the whole thing. America engages in full spectral dominance to maintain their superpower.

I wonder how much of a threat the EU is/was seen to be in that regard.

10 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Loads of folks use the “british” term

esp in north america , where english and british are pretty inter changeable ( unfortunately) as huge lack of understanding; esp in US

I'm talking about how people self-identify.  In my experience people don't self--identify as British.

10 hours ago, phart said:

As a "meta thought" on the whole thing. America engages in full spectral dominance to maintain their superpower.

I wonder how much of a threat the EU is/was seen to be in that regard.

The thing is the same thing is being done to the US as well. It is my perception that immigration has been weaponized. Too much will be destabilizing and that seems to be the goal. 

25 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Post 2014 if someone asks me where I am from I now say Britain. It is not some political statement I do it to avoid (or at least reduce the chances) that I get asked about the NO. Embarrassing.

Nothing embarrassing about Scotland wanting to remain part of Britain. 

15 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

I lived in London mid 90s ; moved to Weymouth for a summer ; area appears lovely on broadchurch etc , but was a massive step back in time and locals were weird ( then theres Portland )

I've never been to Weymouth but as a general rule I have found that seaside towns often tend to have more than their share of oddballs.