Oliver Burke - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Oliver Burke

Stuart87

6 hours ago, Pool Q said:

Interesting. If Forrest starts, and you have a point he could do so on the right, I hope he runs the Maltese side ragged, rattles in a first-half hat-trick, gets a couple more in the second-half, and then goes off to a standing ovation from the Scotland fans with 10 minutes left. But that's probably just me.

Provided he is replaced with Burke for that last ten then I would be just as happy as you.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

he better

To not get him in the pitch tomorrow, even if it's as an injury time sub, would be downright stupidity. Whether he develops into a top player or not, to not get him tied down and run the risk of the English poaching him just wouldn't make any sense. 

Still behind Strachan, a lot depends on how we start this campaign, but if he doesn't get Burke on at some point think that will be it for me. Or if he starts Watt. Or even Chris Martin.

4 hours ago, Paulo2576 said:

Non story. He's still with the Scotland squad, will probably play against Malta. And crucially, none of the English journalists with sources within the FA are reporting this.

Burke is Scottish :ok:

To not get him in the pitch tomorrow, even if it's as an injury time sub, would be downright stupidity. Whether he develops into a top player or not, to not get him tied down and run the risk of the English poaching him just wouldn't make any sense. 

Still behind Strachan, a lot depends on how we start this campaign, but if he doesn't get Burke on at some point think that will be it for me. Or if he starts Watt. Or even Chris Martin.

Agree with the first point. Not to tie down a young hugely potential player who will be playing in the Bundesliga would be criminal. We want to win the game obviously but also need to think about future development and potential. I hope Strachan has this at the back of his mind regardless of the fact that it is a non-story.

As for your second point, Strachan's ship has already sailed for me. I don't have an issue with Watt starting as if Strachan's intention was to start with someone pacey and his first choice drops out, then if you don't have someone pacey in the squad then it is sensible to bring someone in if you wish to maintain that formation. there are questions as to why a second similar type striker wasn't in the initial squad to start with but it seems Strachan is thinking over his formation which is no bad thing as it seems that he may no longer consider the 4-2-3-1 to be the absolute consistent approach. However this should have been considered quite some time ago. its not as if we have a flood of emerging talent and he needs to see how they perform in training before deciding what formation to settle on. that is what friendlies are for and we played some pretty useless games ahead of the euros.

So whilst it is promising we will possibly not be shoe horning players into Strachan's preferred formation, I think we will end up playing that formation with Fletcher up front on his own. Combined with that is the inclusion of Martin and the omission of McCormack and Rhodes. the fact that journalists give him such an easy ride on these types of issues infuriates me. he can no longer be judged by his record so he needs to be grilled on this and not let off with condescending or contradictory responses. Our (mainstream) media fails us politically and they fail us on the football front also. all tied in to this belief that we are performing as we are based on the resources available (nice political segway into this but couldn't ignore the comparison).

On 02/09/2016 at 10:10 AM, Parklife said:

He's done alright in his career so far... 

I think you overvalue pace, much like many folk do. 

Agreed about the pace issue especially against a team like Malta who are likely to defend in numbers and defend deep.  Dalglish wasn't quick except over five yards and in his thinking/anticipation.  Tomorrow we should set out to have majority of possession and be patient and be composed. Me I'd go for Marshall: Paterson, Hanley, Berra, Robertson: Ritchie, Fletcher, Bannen, Snodgrass; Burke, Fletcher in a 442.

1 minute ago, Shaun said:

He was immense tonight, poor Shaun Maloney might struggle to get back into the team after Olly's performance.

I though media were over reacting by saying that he is Scotland's, Gareth Bale but I can see why they said it.

Immense may be an exaggeration but looked very promising. He gives us something a little bit different on the flanks.

He's far from the finished article and is still very raw which is only to be expected.

I remember seeing an 18 year old John Carew playing for Valerenga against Chelsea in the Cup Winners Cup in 98/99 and while he's a very different type of player watching Burke last night reminded me of him, you could see the physical attributes and the potential but there were lots of rough edges that had to be knocked off. 

It will be interesting to see how well he develops at Leipzig but the Bundesliga has a good technical level so those raw edges will need to be knocked off.

2 hours ago, LewisEDI said:

get him played on the right FFS, as i said earlier he has no left foot as shown when he knocked the ball out with it 

did you see the goal he scored last week for his club??  Down the left wing and cut along the bye line before knocking it in.   

Think nerves were getting the better of him at times but I do think he has the makings of a Scotland great. Reminds me of Ritchie's first game where there were flashes of what he could do but seemed to let nerves get the better of him