Scottish Cup Final - Hibs v Rangers - Page 70 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Cup Final - Hibs v Rangers

13 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Scotland is not a Protestant country anymore.

We are a post-Christian nation in a post-Christian age. Deal with it.

Why are you so touchy about posters pointing out hat the Kirk has had it ? Time to move on.

I'm absolutely delighted that it has no influence anymore over Scottish cultural life. 

So still a protestant country then?  The covenanters would have been turing in their graves!!  Aye.  It is from a bygone era and doesnt bother the likes of us.  But unfortunately it exists big style in West.  Two separate issues.  In football which we are interested in it needs banned somehow.  All agree on that one I think.  Outside football is different case.

3 minutes ago, Fermer said:

So still a protestant country then?  The covenanters would have been turing in their graves!!  Aye.  It is from a bygone era and doesnt bother the likes of us.  But unfortunately it exists big style in West.  Two separate issues.  In football which we are interested in it needs banned somehow.  All agree on that one I think.  Outside football is different case.

But if it doesn't bother you then why were you so touchy about several previous posters who pointed out that for the vast majority of Scots the Kirk is an archaic, irrelevant institution that they don't give a flying feck about ?

We are living in the post-christian era now. 

And the image of the covenanters as god fearing, clean cut heroes is an invention of 19th century literature. The truth is they and their foes were just as cruel and brutal as one another. Plenty of rape, looting and murder was done by both sides.

Frankly, claiming that "Scotland is a protestant country" is akin to saying that Protestant's are superior and that Catholic, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Sikh, Buddhist, agnostic and atheist Scots should know their place. It is an attitude that has no place in the 21st Century.

On 8 June 2016 at 0:28 PM, Fermer said:

Sorry cut and paste a bit fecked up.  Statistics from Google.  42.4% CoS.  Trying to play a blinder again.  What a comeback!!!  Google v Wiki. Remember 47% of statistics are made up Kirkie boy.

Statistics
Current religion 2001
Number %
Church of Scotland 2,146,251 42.4
Roman Catholic 803,732 15.9
Other Christian 344,562

In 2001 the population was what 5m? 2.1m Church of Scotland, 2.9m are not. In 2011 I think the population was about 5.3m and those that stated they were  Church of Scotland had declined. In any case, Those that did not identify w CoS were the majority. 

17 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

But if it doesn't bother you then why were you so touchy about several previous posters who pointed out that for the vast majority of Scots the Kirk is an archaic, irrelevant institution that they don't give a flying feck about ?

We are living in the post-christian era now. 

And the image of the covenanters as god fearing, clean cut heroes is an invention of 19th century literature. The truth is they and their foes were just as cruel and brutal as one another. Plenty of rape, looting and murder was done by both sides.

Frankly, claiming that "Scotland is a protestant country" is akin to saying that Protestant's are superior and that Catholic, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Sikh, Buddhist, agnostic and atheist Scots should know their place. It is an attitude that has no place in the 21st Century.

Acht daft debate.  NAE MARE SINGING OF BIGOTRY in Scottish Football.  Whoever your God is.

On 9 June 2016 at 4:53 PM, wellyman said:

Is that anything to do with Gay Pride weekend ??? -  "Farquar" and the "Holepark" club has a certain ring about it !!!

It's like some sort of subliminal message for gay men:

Bears? Check

Partial to an old Queen? Check

Men in tight fitting uniforms playing with their 'flutes'? Oh yes...

They're clearly wanting to fill the place - I just hope that no-one is lured along under false pretences.

13 hours ago, neilser said:

It's like some sort of subliminal message for gay men:

Bears? Check

Partial to an old Queen? Check

Men in tight fitting uniforms playing with their 'flutes'? Oh yes...

They're clearly wanting to fill the place - I just hope that no-one is lured along under false pretences.

It would make an interesting event if half the audience had made that particular mistake. ? 

11 hours ago, giblet said:

Rangers fans must be getting sick of injury time headers against their teams.

Eh? The team I was supporting scored a last minute equaliser.  Admittedly the fans celebrated slightly over exuberantly but that's fair enough. 

On Monday, June 06, 2016 at 8:43 AM, vanderark14 said:

Goes to Cuba for two weeks and comes on to the tamb to make sure his fellow hers are right about a song being sung.

i thought you'd be sunning yourself and not caring by now?

You should see my tan ? 

• 2 weeks later...