Scottish Cup Final - Hibs v Rangers - Page 66 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Cup Final - Hibs v Rangers

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

While both distasteful and things i wouldn't partake in (incidentally, i've never heard the former at any Aberdeen game i've ever attended, which kind of shows how commonly it has been sung...).

Some scumbags singing distasteful songs isn't quite in the same league as the club not signing someone because of their religion though. 

Thought that club no longer existed?  Or only when suits!!  If Rangers fans sing bb or any other of this I am in favour of deducting 3 points every time.  Then these folk will have to decide.  Is it bigotted songs or the team that I love.  My opinion.  Cellic too.  Everybody forgets about our green rivals.

Wouldnt it be a great idea if at the first OF game the two clubs instead of threatening punishment to fans actually offered a reward for not singing bigot songs?  Something like a sponsored thing of a given charity for either side if they keep it clean.  Might be a reason for better self policing?? Only a thought or am I talking pish and dreaming a dream again!!!

6 minutes ago, Fermer said:

Wouldnt it be a great idea if at the first OF game the two clubs instead of threatening punishment to fans actually offered a reward for not singing bigot songs?  Something like a sponsored thing of a given charity for either side if they keep it clean.  Might be a reason for better self policing?? Only a thought or am I talking pish and dreaming a dream again!!!

They shouldn't have to incentivise people not to act like scumbags.  Do you really think your average spotty ned is really going to put down the buckie and stop signing the party songs so that a charity will benefit?  Not a chance.  The only way it will ever be truly eradicated is through punitive action, be that from the clubs, football authorities or Police Scotland.

9 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

They shouldn't have to incentivise people not to act like scumbags.  Do you really think your average spotty ned is really going to put down the buckie and stop signing the party songs so that a charity will benefit?  Not a chance.  The only way it will ever be truly eradicated is through punitive action, be that from the clubs, football authorities or Police Scotland.

There are always trials Fairbairn. If it doesnt work so be it.  Nothing else has worked so far.  I dont go to gers games any more except one or two.  And that was because of the bigotry.  Started following scotland everywhere then.  But still love the club and want to see the fans singing rangers songs.  You go on to you tube and watch rangers v celtic penny arcade.  It's just before the game and the atmosphere is fantasic with three songs belting out with no bigotry attached. You can see the cceltic fans all singing away as well but cant here them.  I long to see the day where rangers fans can sing rangers songs et al.

1 minute ago, Fermer said:

There are always trials Fairbairn. If it doesnt work so be it.  Nothing else has worked so far.  I dont go to gers games any more except one or two.  And that was because of the bigotry.  Started following scotland everywhere then.  But still love the club and want to see the fans singing rangers songs.  You go on to you tube and watch rangers v celtic penny arcade.  It's just before the game and the atmosphere is fantasic with three songs belting out with no bigotry attached. You can see the cceltic fans all singing away as well but cant here them.  I long to see the day where rangers fans can sing rangers songs et al.

Nothing else has worked because noone has really tried.  I mean really tried.  Speaking from a Rangers POV they have made inroads but they could be doing so much more.  As for the football authorities?  They've done next to nothing.  The only ones that have tried to impose any sort of sanctions are UEFA but even that was half hearted.  The SFA/SPFL etc have basically had their fingers in their ears going "not listening, not listening" for years.

1 minute ago, Fairbairn said:

Nothing else has worked because noone has really tried.  I mean really tried.  Speaking from a Rangers POV they have made inroads but they could be doing so much more.  As for the football authorities?  They've done next to nothing.  The only ones that have tried to impose any sort of sanctions are UEFA but even that was half hearted.  The SFA/SPFL etc have basically had their fingers in their ears going "not listening, not listening" for years.

I agree.  My point earlier about spfl deducting points would sort out the wheat.

Guest BlueGaz

It is simple really, those that sing inappropriate songs, or shout inappropriate comments need to be dealt with.  I don't think it is easy to catch them, or single them out, and it could be a constant battle, but if someone is found to sing a banned song then they should be banned from Ibrox. 

I genuinely don't think the problem is anywhere near as bad as it used to be. It's easy for non Rangers fans to hear a song at the cup final and believe its still rife during the game, but its not.  Thats fact.

That said, once is too many and if you can catch and prove a fan taking part, ban them.  Banning the odd person here and there won't affect the crowd and will serve as a warning to others, and will probably achieve the desired result.  

Someone else mentioned earlier that where they sit, they don't witness all the sectarian shouting and songs, I don't know where he sits but I don't witness it either.  

Rangers need to bring themselves up to date, as has been mentioned above, and I agree with that wholeheartedly.  But those who consistently comment on the situation also need to bring themselves up to date.  No one gives a fk if you don't like Rangers, but criticise against fact rather than against history.

FFS, comments above talk about the signing policy.  That was decades ago.  Although it was Parky that said it to be fair.

Edited by BlueGaz

2 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

It is simple really, those that sing inappropriate songs, or shout inappropriate comments need to be dealt with.  I don't think it is easy to catch them, or single them out, and it could be a constant battle, but if someone is found to sing a banned song then they should be banned from Ibrox. 

I genuinely don't think the problem is anywhere near as bad as it used to be. It's easy for non Rangers fans to hear a song at the cup final and believe its still rife during the game, but its not.  Thats fact.

That said, once is too many and if you can catch and prove a fan taking part, ban them.  Banning the odd person here and there won't affect the crowd and will serve as a warning to others, and will probably achieve the desired result.  

Someone else mentioned earlier that where they sit, they don't witness all the sectarian shouting and songs, I don't know where he sits but I don't witness it either.  

Rangers need to bring themselves up to date, as has been mentioned above, and I agree with that wholeheartedly.  But those who consistently comment on the situation also need to bring themselves up to date.  No one gives a fk if you don't like Rangers, but criticise against fact rather than against history.

FFS, comments above talk about the signing policy.  That was decades ago.  Although it was Parky that said it to be fair.

You know better than me as a current supporter BG.  But even I can see it's nowhere near as bad. 

Anyway, my theory on positive rewards is getting binned then lol. (thats txt speak for laugh out loud Parkie, something modern!)

15 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

That's utterly ridiculous. You're basically saying that you'd stop supporting your team because folk sing certain songs?

Where I sit at Ibrox nobody sings the songs you are going on about. I always sit in the family section. I can hear them from other parts occasionally but it's not the problem, on a weekly basis, that folk on here want to make out.

Its not ridiculous RB,  its correct. and I have stated it before on here. I would not go and sit and listen to supporters of my club sing sectarian songs on a regular basis. sorry if you find it rediculous but that's maybe what makes you different from me.

we have all admitted that every clubs support has idiots in it which can spoil the experience at times but the bigoted stuff is on a different level I am afraid.

10 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

sorry that's just an apology for it taking place. it happens. we hear it . and in this day and age it is totally unacceptable.

saying I don't hear it where I sit is a sh*te excuse, and identifies you as part of the problem.

Guest BlueGaz
1 minute ago, ShedTA said:

sorry that's just an apology for it taking place. it happens. we hear it . and in this day and age it is totally unacceptable.

saying I don't hear it where I sit is a sh*te excuse, and identifies you as part of the problem.

Its not a fkin excuse?  How many times do I have to say I don't agree with it?  I would never apologise to anyone on here for anything that happens at Ibrox or elsewhere, so lets put that to bed.

I am stating that the issue is not as bad as it was, and was insinuating that its getting better as time goes by.  

Identifies me as part of the problem?  You are a fkin simpleton my friend. 

2 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

Its not a fkin excuse?  How many times do I have to say I don't agree with it?  I would never apologise to anyone on here for anything that happens at Ibrox or elsewhere, so lets put that to bed.

I am stating that the issue is not as bad as it was, and was insinuating that its getting better as time goes by.  

:lol: standard rangers supporter response. you don't like it so you reach for the abuse button.

look my friend it doesn't matter how bad it is - it needs to stop. saying its not as bad as it used to be doesn't work for normal people who wont try and excuse bigotry. if you cant see that then I am afraid its you that's simple.

Guest BlueGaz
6 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

:lol: standard rangers supporter response. you don't like it so you reach for the abuse button.

look my friend it doesn't matter how bad it is - it needs to stop. saying its not as bad as it used to be doesn't work for normal people who wont try and excuse bigotry. if you cant see that then I am afraid its you that's simple.

It was part of a discussion on the subject.  Not once have I ever excused it.  I sort of considered the discussion slightly mature and wanted to bring many draconian views up to date.  You are still doing it.  Are you really that stupid that you cannot have a discussion about it and always come back to the same point?  

I put across a view which from your posting you are unaware of.  That was all.  You win though, trying to get involved in a conversation and discussing points, passing on info seems to be lost in your blinkered hatred for the club.  That doesn't bother me though.

I will bow out and leave you to it.

Calling you a simpleton is not abuse, or are you really that easily offended?  It was describing your mental ability.

Edited by BlueGaz

1 minute ago, ShedTA said:

Pish son.  Bigotry does exist.  I and fellow rangers guys on here wish it didnt.  But it does and for over 300 years.  That's why Scotland is a Protestant country my friend.  But in this day and age I think everyone on here says it shouldnt be brought in to football.  But it does.  Making excuses?  No the guys on here.  Just relating reality.  And if you think things will change overnight then dream on kid.

46 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

It was part of a discussion on the subject.  Not once have I ever excused it.  I sort of considered the discussion slightly mature and wanted to bring many draconian views up to date.  You are still doing it.  Are you really that stupid that you cannot have a discussion about it and always come back to the same point?  

I put across a view which from your posting you are unaware of.  That was all.  You win though, trying to get involved in a conversation and discussing points, passing on info seems to be lost in your blinkered hatred for the club.  That doesn't bother me though.

I will bow out and leave you to it.

Calling you a simpleton is not abuse, or are you really that easily offended?  It was describing your mental ability.

wow another cliché. I disagree and point out that I still see it as a problem and I get labelled a hater of the club. standard rhetoric, further abuse and so boring.

not rife. last time I was at ibrox I heard the billy boys being sung outside the ground as I walked past before the game had even started. It was also sung during the game. Tell me its not really so bad if you want, but I was there and I know what I heard and have no reason to think its any different at other times.

54 minutes ago, Fermer said:

Pish son.  Bigotry does exist.  I and fellow rangers guys on here wish it didnt.  But it does and for over 300 years.  That's why Scotland is a Protestant country my friend.  But in this day and age I think everyone on here says it shouldnt be brought in to football.  But it does.  Making excuses?  No the guys on here.  Just relating reality.  And if you think things will change overnight then dream on kid.

Son?  aye ok. 

things could change overnight. that's my whole point, if we stopped ignoring or excusing it. saying its not as bad as it used to be doesn't wash I am afraid.

Guest BlueGaz
10 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

wow another cliché. I disagree and point out that I still see it as a problem and I get labelled a hater of the club. standard rhetoric, further abuse and so boring.

not rife. last time I was at ibrox I heard the billy boys being sung outside the ground as I walked past before the game had even started. It was also sung during the game. Tell me its not really so bad if you want, but I was there and I know what I heard and have no reason to think its any different at other times.

I bow to your expertise on the current situation.  

By your logic, the ID song is rife at Aberdeen, because I heard it once when I was there, The Ra is rife at Celtic, because I heard it once when I was there.  Not even sure why I am replying coz you're so far removed from reality with your comments.

Edited by BlueGaz

1 hour ago, BlueGaz said:

I bow to your expertise on the current situation.  

By your logic, the ID song is rife at Aberdeen, because I heard it once when I was there, The Ra is rife at Celtic, because I heard it once when I was there.  Not even sure why I am replying coz you're so far removed from reality with your comments.

:lol: that's right!  TBB is a rare occurrence. give me strength.

6 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

It was just an example. I'm an atheist mate and personally I think all schools should have zero religion in them other than as an academic subject.

If the kids are religious then they should go to church/chapel for their services.

And as far as I know Rc schools are more expensive as they have either a smaller roll or require extra transport for their catchment area. Not in all cases but to be honest my point was more on their existence. 

The RC school i went to had a higher roll that the two non demominational ones nearby and also shat all over both in terms of results.

For the record, there were plenty of non Catholics in my school too. 

As for going to Chapels/Church's for their services, fair enough. I'd also make the OO pay 100% of the policing costs it takes to police the scumbags that follow their 100s of daft wee marches every summer and cause far more sectarian divide than sending kids to a certain school. 

I'd say 50% of my friends from home when to a different school than me, it only creates a divide if the parents let it and that is the case on all sides. 

2 hours ago, BlueGaz said:

The Celtic Rangers League Cup semi in 2015 was as bad as anything I can remember from Rangers in 20-25+ years. And it wasn't a small minority that day. First time I can remember No Pope Of Rome being sung in a ground in many a year. I suppose in part it was an act of defiance to what was happening on the pitch that day. By contrast the semi final this year didn't seem to have anywhere near the level of songs that came out in 2015....again possibly due to what was happening on the pitch.

When you say the issue is not as bad as it was, I think you mean its not as consistent as it was. There are still occasions but they seem to be few and far between in comparison to 20 years ago.

Smaller rolls? my kids RC primary school in Cambuslang is bursting at the seams, the secondary i went to had the highest amount of pupils of any school in Scotland.

Piss poor arguments.

Edited by neilly71

3 hours ago, ShedTA said:

Its not ridiculous RB,  its correct. and I have stated it before on here. I would not go and sit and listen to supporters of my club sing sectarian songs on a regular basis. sorry if you find it rediculous but that's maybe what makes you different from me.

we have all admitted that every clubs support has idiots in it which can spoil the experience at times but the bigoted stuff is on a different level I am afraid.

Afraid it is correct. I believe Motherwell lost many supporters because of it and the ripple effect is probably still felt to this day. Well were always a f#ck the Pope and f#ck Queen sort of team but something changed early to mid 80's and we started with Ulster flags, Union flags. It was this point (impressionable early teenage years moving from primary to high school) all but one of my Catholic Motherwell supporting friends started supporting Celtic. In the later 80's the sectarian pish was shouted down by other Well fans and totally eradicated so much so if you tried to start any of it now I reckon you'd get a sore face. So to me it will always be down to the fans to speak up if they genuinely want rid of it.