Scottish Cup Final - Hibs v Rangers - Page 74 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Cup Final - Hibs v Rangers

7 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Totally agree but I'm not holding my breath. They'd much rather charge Rangers and Hibs with not controlling their fans even though they weren't responsible for security at their game.

Their hypocrisy really knows no bounds.

Are you referring to the hypocrisy of the SFA or the Rangers?

10 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Totally agree but I'm not holding my breath. They'd much rather charge Rangers and Hibs with not controlling their fans even though they weren't responsible for security at their game.

Their hypocrisy really knows no bounds.

spot on. in fact its a subject in which we are in complete agreement.

6 minutes ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Subjudice?

Oh, wait, what do you mean there aren't any pending court cases...

So is Stu talking pish? I have no idea TBH, i just hear about these "assaults" but haven't seen anything in the press about them at all. 

16 hours ago, Stu101 said:

Courts seem to think so.

Edit: not followed this, but was one not jailed for Halliday (4 months, maybe?) and the other accepted a suspended sentence for Fortheringham (bingham, or somthing?)

1 hour ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Subjudice?

Oh, wait, what do you mean there aren't any pending court cases...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-36501447

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-36808609

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/hibs-fan-appears-court-charged-8050441

There are plenty of court cases pending...

3 minutes ago, theweestevie said:

An attempted punch and a push.

Hardly GBH.

(although obviously completely out of order)

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

So is Stu talking pish? I have no idea TBH, i just hear about these "assaults" but haven't seen anything in the press about them at all. 

Think the police said 64 arrested at this stage. Obviously not all will be assaults, but a fair number will. Impossible to work out what they are charged with until they are called, and you can bet the PF will drop many before they get near that stage. "Assault" has a pretty wide definition in Scots law, I seem to remember. 

8 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

Think the police said 64 arrested at this stage. Obviously not all will be assaults, but a fair number will. Impossible to work out what they are charged with until they are called, and you can bet the PF will drop many before they get near that stage. "Assault" has a pretty wide definition in Scots law, I seem to remember. 

So how many folk have been done for assaulting players? 

You've claimed 2 in your previous post. Is this true? Can you give me a link to these stories? 

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

50,000 camera phones, full cctv and numerous TV cameras, Photographers etc. Why no footage of these several players being assaulted? 

Two fans have admitted assaulting players, which the court accepted. I'd be prepared to go with what that fans admitted doing on this one. 

1 minute ago, Parklife said:

So how many folk have been done for assaulting players? 

You've claimed 2 in your previous post. Is this true? Can you give me a link to these stories? 

I claimed I hadn't really been following this, but anyway..

The Jack one is unreported (so cant link to the court report), so only the press. Admitted pushing Halliday- http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-36808609

Someone called Pryde was charged with assault and breach of the peace on Wallace and Holt. That appears to have been held over at the moment. http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14518068.Private_school_squash_coach_admits_Scottish_Cup_Final_disorder/

Anything serious would still be working its way though the system you would think. 

55 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

An attempted punch and a push.

Hardly GBH.

(although obviously completely out of order)

Assault I seem to remember is a bit of a catch all term. You don't have to actually attack anyone for it to be proved, just put them in a state of fear that they are going to be attacked.

Perhaps Rangers could've criticised the lack of security and cited the potential for someone to be seriously hurt. That would be a valid point.

Instead they seem to have trumped up a shove and a fresh air swipe to be something much worse (which potentially it could've been!)

26 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

No idea.

But I don't think anyone believes that it was anywhere close to the Somme-like situation the Daily Record made out. 

you mean the somme like situation the Rangers statement made out.............

9 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Perhaps Rangers could've criticised the lack of security and cited the potential for someone to be seriously hurt. That would be a valid point.

Instead they seem to have trumped up a shove and a fresh air swipe to be something much worse (which potentially it could've been!)

Exactly.

5 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Personally I think the fact that Rangers made such stupid knee jerk statements has undermined the valid argument they have.

No player or club employee should be subjected to the events after the final whistle that happened last season. For some reason because Rangers put out some stupid statements it's become acceptable for their employees to be assaulted. The TAMB posts on this subject have been nothing short of pathetic in general. 

If I remember correctly the Hearts fan that assaulted Neil Lennon got away with it despite it being a televised event. So I'm not holding my breath on the authorities getting anything done to the guilty parties this time either.

4 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Personally I think the fact that Rangers made such stupid knee jerk statements has undermined the valid argument they have.

No player or club employee should be subjected to the events after the final whistle that happened last season. For some reason because Rangers put out some stupid statements it's become acceptable for their employees to be assaulted. The TAMB posts on this subject have been nothing short of pathetic in general. 

If I remember correctly the Hearts fan that assaulted Neil Lennon got away with it despite it being a televised event. So I'm not holding my breath on the authorities getting anything done to the guilty parties this time either.

If the clubs would accept 'Strict Liability' then these & other incidents would soon stop.