Weekend Scottish fitba - Page 6 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Weekend Scottish fitba

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, macy37 said:

After all that excitement and fans of other sides dreaming that a title race was on it ends for another season before the split.

Too easy for a rotten Celtic side.

Whilst Celtic will definitely win the league they haven't done so yet.

Frustrating as it has been especially this season it is a reasonable achievement that for the 2nd season in a row Aberdeen will have made Celtic wait until game 35 to officially seal the deal.

As average as Celtic have been their 6 times bigger budget than Aberdeen was always going to see them score more goals and concede less over  the course of a season. 

Not to say we couldn't have done a bit more to make it closer. Apparently came close to making what would probably have been a significant signing for us in August then had bids for 2 players turned down in January. Not really blaming the board for those not materialising as the club can only spend what they can afford to but it was frustrating to see both windows close without a potential game changer type player joining.

We can only hope that the squad sees a few changes this summer to help us compete right at the top again next year in what looks like being a more competitive top 6.

10 hours ago, slasher said:

Utter rubbish. You're 8 points behind and your team have shat it every time they've had the chance to turn the screw. Stewart Milne cost you the chance to win this title with his complete lack of ambition in January and I genuinely think that filtered through the whole club.

Did we "shit it" or were we not good enough? You know that it can't be both, don't you?

both of our last 2 league games we'd have won if Ward was in goals. 

7 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Shat it. Every time pressure was on Aberdeen this season they've buckled. 

Agree. 

None more so than when we down to 10 men at home to Celtic and only went on to win 2-1. 

Repeated the buckling in the February home game against Celtic big time too. Must win game but we shat it again winning 2-1 again.

8 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Shat it. Every time pressure was on Aberdeen this season they've buckled. 

We've beat Celtic twice this season, FB. Once with 10 men.

Our 12/13 man squad just isn't good enough unfortunately. That's the reality.

Having Ward (And the confidence that would have provided) for the entire season would see us far closer. Maybe even top as previously suggested.

29 minutes ago, Blackpool78 said:

Really hope Rangers win today.....it will then be forever in their history and the reason that they had the chance to win that cup

With all due respect to the good Rangers fans, I hope they get pumped. :ok: 

14 hours ago, Angus_Young said:

I agree mate, an utter tosser.

I actually commented on him a few weeks back during one of your games (possibly the Derby at Dens) Strolling around, lazy passes and generally displaying body language that said 'I'm too good for this'. Infuriating to watch. 

To have any chance of a quick return, you need idiots like that hunted out the door. 

Agreed a total . Is your game today on the telly?

31 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

Yep, apparently you had to go today to get the chance of a ticket for the Celtic game.

Not even close to true.

If you had been allocated a ticket for the Peterhead game through the cccs (automatic allocation of tickets for away/cup games) but the payment had failed for whatever reason and the payment was still outstanding for the Peterhead game when the Celtic tickets were being allocated then you wouldn't be allocated a ticket for the Celtic game. This is standard if you have an outstanding payment, you'd be removed from the draw for the next games until the payment had been resolved.

The only requirement for getting a ticket for was having a season ticket and being on the cccs, or being successful in the ballot of the remaining tickets.

3 hours ago, Parklife said:

Did we "shit it" or were we not good enough? You know that it can't be both, don't you?

both of our last 2 league games we'd have won if Ward was in goals. 

Yes it can be both and is. You see one is as a direct consequence of the other but I can't be bothered explaining it to your simple mind.

Congratulations on 2nd place though, I'm sure the Europa league 'campaign' will be a hoot.

13 hours ago, slasher said:

Utter rubbish. You're 8 points behind and your team have shat it every time they've had the chance to turn the screw. 

Trite, meaningless pish.

Why is it when Aberdeen happen to lose a tight game, it's suddenly that they 'shat it' ? Did Celtic shite it when they lost in the League Cup semi ? Or when they couldn't beat Dundee or Killie or Motherwell ? Or in their various European humiliations ? 

Or was it that they weren't good enough on these particular days ?

I said about 2 months ago that Aberdeen would only win the league if each of our players played at the top of their game for every single minute of every single match, and even then we'd need a bit of luck. 

We haven't been able to 'turn the screw', not because of lack of mental strength, but because the players in our pretty small squad couldn't play well enough in every minute of every game.....in that sense, your second point is more valid. A bit of investment in January could well have seen us over the line.....only McInnes and Milne know why we chose not to get a few more players in. 

Edited by Rossy

53 minutes ago, slasher said:

Yes it can be both and is. You see one is as a direct consequence of the other but I can't be bothered explaining it to your simple mind.

Congratulations on 2nd place though, I'm sure the Europa league 'campaign' will be a hoot.

Not as much as your club's 2 European hoots. 

1 hour ago, ShedTA said:

Agreed a total . Is your game today on the telly?

Alba, which is handy as I'm working so should hopefully see a bit of it :)

2 hours ago, ShedTA said:

Yep, apparently you had to go today to get the chance of a ticket for the Celtic game.

I'm amazed you don't know that this is pish sir. Do you not read your emails.......

2 hours ago, jock strap said:

With all due respect to the good Rangers fans, I hope they get pumped. :ok: 

I'd expect nothing less mate :)

20 minutes ago, slasher said:

So, Aberdeen have basically shat it in the boardroom and on the pitch.....maybe.

Or maybe Rossy is right and I was just having a 'wee joke' with my friend Parkie there.... maybe.

Even that is hard to judge.

The club made 2 bids for 2 players in January at what was significant money for Aberdeen. Both selling clubs wanted considerably more. 

Clubs won't spend what they can't afford to. Easy for fans to spend money which isn't their's.

Thereally won't be any going back to the days of speculating to accumulate in Scotland as the banks no longer give our clubs a blank cheque to do so. 

14 minutes ago, AberdeenAngus said:

Thereally won't be any going back to the days of speculating to accumulate in Scotland as the banks no longer give our clubs a blank cheque to do so. 

Wait until der Hun gets going in the summer.

51 minutes ago, AberdeenAngus said:

The club made 2 bids for 2 players in January at what was significant money for Aberdeen. Both selling clubs wanted considerably more.

Out of interest who did Aberdeen go for? I think they deserve a lot of credit for pushing Celtic so close again.  Very few SPL clubs have managed to challenge Celtic or Celtic/Rangers two season on the trot.