Paris - Page 22 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dare say there are more no go extremist areas than just Molenbeek around Europe

A pertinent point that. Here in the UK there are already areas that are breeding grounds for loonies (and I include the EDL and their ilk in that) so I'd assume that there are similar places all around Europe.

What we should be doing in Scotland is opening up our borders to let in more and more moslem refugees.

What would be more heart-warming and life affirming than increasing Scotland's moslem population 9 or 10 fold so that we can be like all the other EU countries with a 6-10 per cent moslem minority?

I'll be at Glasgow Airport tomorrow to welcome 1000 more moslems coming here from Syria. Hopefully they're like the wonderful ones in this video:

What we should be doing in Scotland is opening up our borders to let in more and more moslem refugees.

What would be more heart-warming and life affirming than increasing Scotland's moslem population 9 or 10 fold so that we can be like all the other EU countries with a 6-10 per cent moslem minority?

I'll be at Glasgow Airport tomorrow to welcome 1000 more moslems coming here from Syria. Hopefully they're like the wonderful ones in this video:

0295B830-7384-4072-B4E8-10837F51BBCE.png

Have you got the latest must have accessory?

I can't really take these 'no-go area' stories seriously since they last described some areas of Paris as no-go areas, which are actually nice, lively places with great bars and restaurants and where a normal sized apartment costs 400k.

To be fair my other half had a very bad time when at uni. She stayed in Dewsbury and got constant abuse for being white. From her experience it was the young causing trouble and the older generation were always polite and welcoming. Savile town area was the worst according to her. Wouldn't describe it as a no go area but certainly an area that could quite easily be a breeding ground for extremists

Bit in bold is key. Without wanting to channel MacTaz, Im pretty sure than there would have been quite a few Iranians who couldnt care less about Paris, or Beirut.

You, phart, PiaK etc do care, others dont, the same as some Iranians, same the world over.

My point has never been about the individual but about the weight given by the media/society if you're going to appropriate my argument to strengthen yours best understand it first. :D

Judging by the Shannon Matthews case, there are elements of the white population of Dewsbury that are none too pleasant.

Didn't remember she was from there. As I say I can only go by my other half's experience there as I have never been but I can say she is far from being a racist

Good post. Unfortunately after an outrage the knee will jerk, which in turn will lead to more bombs being dropped and more innocent people getting killed which in turn will lead to more radicalisation, more refugees and more atrocities.

Chicken and egg is right.

J

I agree with you that this is what we are most likely to see, at least in the short-term.

Maybe we can all just apologise, shake hands and agree not to offend or murder each other?

This is approximately where we need to get to. But how we get there is another matter. Ultimately, I think this will only be resolved (partially at best?), as Mindimoo and BH suggested, through talking, tolerance, political dialogue (apologies for paraphrasing). That is not currently part of the US/UKs or ISIS/ISIL/ISs agendas. It could, and may, take a lifetime. Maybe several. And I think it will always have the potential to flare-up. There's obviously a massive assumption here that relevant parties will agree to talk at some unspecified future point. This could be over-optimistic.

In the short term we have to rely on our security services being one step ahead of the terrorists.

Strategically we have to get some stability in the Middle East. Remember we went to war in Afghanistan because "The Talaban were allowing Al Queda to train there for terrorist attacks".

By destabilising Iraq we have left the whole region a basket case. We need the locals to be in a position to take on the basket cases. If that means siding with Assad and forcing ISIS to the table fine.

We (the West) also need to not back Israel every time they perpetuate an outrage. The flattening of Gaza, massively outweighs the attacks on 9/11, 7/7, Madrid and Paris in terms of loss of life and continuing radicalisation.

Until we get to the root cause of the grievances we will never stop being at war.

Bombing is not the answer, getting to a settled solution is. We are not always righ, or the good guys. We need to look in the mirror when it comes to foreign policy.

J

I agree with you in principal BH, and you make some excellent points but in my opinion there is currently no political desire for peace in this region from US or UK governments. None. As to why, at least in part, see phart's post from earlier today (sorry couldn't spot it to quote), outlining political motivations at play. Without a complete regime change or dramatic re-imagining of foreign policy there won't be any desire for peace and without this, the merry-go round you described in your first post above continues.

You can hardly blame individuals when our nation press chooses to ignore stuff that doesn't suit the national narrative. For the vast majority who dont have the time, means, whatever to actively Google foreign affairs, how do people really expect the majority to be? Even brief, factual coverage sometimes fails to capture the tragedy that goes on daily around the world, certainly nowhere near the scale of coverage we see from Paris.

This helps create an us and them attitude, where we're only allowed to sympathise with those who meet the approval of those in power. There really is no excuse for the lack of coverage of major incidents in the Middle East.

The world is ######ed up and I really dont know how we take control back. It's been asked a couple of times why terrorists go to the complexity of trying to blow up airliners when crowded, high profile events are surely a much simpler target. It looks like terrorists have started to realise this too and it's a terrifying escalation if so. I cant even begin to imagine what we'd be looking at today if the terrorists managed to make it into Stade de France. Live TV footage, the lot.

Absolutely awful. :(

I think a significant part of the key to change is connected to what Auld_Reekie touches upon above. We need to radically alter our perceptions in the West, move away from the Us and Them narrative peddled by the ms media and nurtured by the present political outlook, and which is actively encouraged in many different aspects of our society. It's unclear exactly what the events in Paris might mean to this type of process. I would think in the short term it's likely to lock people's minds down further. How you counter that in the face of superior firepower/intimidation, superior propaganda and in what will likely be a climate of fear, is unclear.
However, one thing I'm convinced of is that continuing to pursue policies of violence will simply beget further violence.

Some people on here are far too naive

ISIS ultimate objective is to maintain and expand it's self declared caliphate

Part of creating that caliphate means eradicating everyone who does not adhere to their rule of "convert or die"

How exactly do you counter that with diplomatic talks ?

It's akin to appeasing the Nazi's in the 1930s

The biggest problem is that it should be the states of the middle east that resolve this themselves but they are that shit scared of internal revolt by ISIS supporters that they cant or wont.

Edited by Ally Bongo

Apparently bombing Raqqah is OK, but bombing Paris isn't.

Feck! :(

Hardly the same thing.

Targeted attacks on known terrorists, not quite the same as indiscriminate shooting at civilians, suicide bombings and executing people at a concert.

Some people on here are far too naive

ISIS ultimate objective is to maintain and expand it's self declared caliphate

Part of creating that caliphate means eradicating everyone who does not adhere to their rule of "convert or die"

How exactly do you counter that with diplomatic talks ?

It's akin to appeasing the Nazi's in the 1930s

The biggest problem is that it should be the states of the middle east that resolve this themselves but they are that shit scared of internal revolt by ISIS supporters that they cant or wont.

They want a war more than anything else. That's the purpose of the acts of terror. Why do you want to give them what they want?

Apparently bombing Raqqah is OK, but bombing Paris isn't.

Feck! :(

Hardly bombing in Paris. Gunmen open fire at point blank range and killed at will. I really don't get the comparison you are trying to make. I personally don't think the air campaign is effective but if you read the reports it then the current expansion of the ISIS campaign is linked to the gradual erosion of their infrastructure . Raqqah is seen as the capital of the ISIS Caliphate. Hardly surprising it is been targeted.