Paris - Page 25 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

One of the claims that ISIS (and apologists) makes is that 'we' in the west value Muslim lives less than those of people here. You'll hear it said every time someone does in a vox pop in any UK town with a sizeable Muslim population. I struggle to see how that can be argued against after events of the past few days.

Clearly the fact that so many of us know Paris, and its geographical closeness to us is a factor, but there is more to it than that. If what happened in Beirut had happened in LA or Sydney our media would be all over it, and all the FB profile stuff relating to Paris would be going on too. Yet they are a very long way away. But suicide bombs or shootings in Lebanon, Syria or Nairobi don't register with most of us it seems.

I wouldn't dream of questioning those who want to register their horror at events in Paris, or their expressions of solidarity, I simply have no right to and tend to agree anyway. I just wonder whether if we were all a bit more aware of, and cared more about, what was going on elsewhere then maybe our elected representatives would do something about it, and there would be fewer apparently willing recruits to causes that think it is OK to act like a handful of deluded nut jobs did in Paris on Friday night.

Well said sir. :ok:

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah very complicated Syria considering all the players.

5Live had some 'expert' on who took about 20 minutes to list and describe all the various groups involved in the Syrian conflict.

It's an astonishing and extensively long list of warped medieval psychopaths, all of whom have a different grievance against somebody else, and by the end of it all I still had no idea who was fighting who.

It's like watching an OF game. You hope that nobody wins and that they all destroy each other.

:blink:

Edited by Rossy

It's an astonishing and extensively long list of warped medieval psychopaths, all of whom have a different grievance against somebody else, and by the end of it all I still had no idea who was fighting who.

Okay, that's enough about talking about The West, what about these guys in the Middle East?

phart - Syria is majority Sunni not Shia. It's been ruled by Alawites who are a offshot of Shia but classed as apostates by ISIL. Alawites ran the Army office corp and used nepotism and deals with Christians and other minorities to potter along until the unrest.

Iran are supporting Assad due to his religious affiliation and to stop Sunni influence from Saudi. Hezbollah have joined in as they are Shia Militants.

Al Qaeda are Sunni as are ISIL with various branches of extremist ideology.

phart - Syria is majority Sunni not Shia. It's been ruled by Alawites who are a offshot of Shia but classed as apostates by ISIL. Alawites ran the Army office corp and used nepotism and deals with Christians and other minorities to potter along until the unrest.

Yeah I was wrong on that, I had meant to write more as well, thats why it just abruptly ends with that. Opposite of Iraq.

Can you point out the posts advocating talking to ISIS? I've been looking for them and cannot locate them on here. You seem to be stridently arguing against it, so i assume you know where they are.

Page 18

Corbyn says he's opposed to a shoot to kill policy on terrorists.

Is he for real?

I believe what he actually said was that he was 'not comfortable' with a shoot to kill' policy in general/in principle, but that there were many factors to consider. Haven't heard the whole thing but obviously the MSM will monster the guy on this.

I believe what he actually said was that he was 'not comfortable' with a shoot to kill' policy in general/in principle, but that there were many factors to consider. Haven't heard the whole thing but obviously the MSM will monster the guy on this.

Yeah, he said he wasn't in favour of a blanket shoot to kill policy.

Macy is pretty dim though, so probably just read the scaremongering headline, rather than the actual quotes.

Islamists will only be stopped by fellow Muslims. Western governments (and looks like Russia too) will be there to hold back the threat as much as possible but it is Islam itself that needs to challenge and rid itself of this minority branch of fundamentalism. The Islamists do not care about life. They want to die and take as many of us with them. That is a very difficult thing to combat.

Neo-conservatism is an equally dangerous ideology, which has been pursued as ruthlessly as any fundamentalist religion and we're seeing the results of its attempts at 'democratising' - I use that word with no small amount of irony - certain parts of the world. In fact, it has been the cause of far greater levels of bloodshed and suffering globally than any other form of extremism. I'd go as far as to say that a symbiosis has developed between proponents of Islamist and Neoconservatist ideologies. If Islam needs a period of intense introspection to stamp out extremist fundamentalism, the West needs to embark on a similar process within its political system.

What are you on about?

Guys wife was killed and they have a baby son. Brings it home to me. I will ask you a question. Do you think these people are evil? And no whataboutery as seems to be the case with some. Its simple to me. Like the Nazis, clear them from this wee world we hold dear. The smart guys on here will go on to google and cut and paste facts and figures about shite. Truth is these are an evil we as human beings are up against Lamia. And just like we faced all speaking German. Which we did (fact). These people are killing all before them that dont agree with their own twisted idea of there own book. And given half a chance it will be us. Make no mistake about that.

Guys wife was killed and they have a baby son. Brings it home to me. I will ask you a question. Do you think these people are evil? And no whataboutery as seems to be the case with some. Its simple to me. Like the Nazis, clear them from this wee world we hold dear. The smart guys on here will go on to google and cut and paste facts and figures about shite. Truth is these are an evil we as human beings are up against Lamia. And just like we faced all speaking German. Which we did (fact). These people are killing all before them that dont agree with their own twisted idea of there own book. And given half a chance it will be us. Make no mistake about that.

Plus points for the "fact" usage and also the reference to Nazis.

Minus points for lack of capital letters and exclamation marks.

6/10. Must do better.

I'll give Fermer this, that guy's words were fantastic...

On Friday night you stole away the life of an exceptional being, the love of my life, the mother of my son, but you will not have my hatred. I do not know who you are and I dont want to know, you are dead souls.

If the God for whom you kill so blindly made us in His image, each bullet in my wifes body would have been a wound in His heart.

Therefore I will not give you the gift of hating you. You have obviously sought it but responding to hatred with anger would be to give in to the same ignorance that that has made you what you are. You want me to be afraid, to cast a mistrustful eye on my fellow citizens, to sacrifice my freedom for security. Lost. Same player, same game.

I saw her this morning. Finally, after nights and days of waiting. She was just as beautiful as she was when she left on Friday evening, as beautiful as when I fell madly in love with her more than 12 years ago.

Of course I'm devasted with grief, I will give you that tiny victory, but this will be a short-term grief. I know that she will join us every day and that we will find each other again in a paradise of free souls which you will never have access to.

We are only two, my son and I, but we are more powerful than all the world's armies. In any case, I have no more time to waste on you, I need to get back to Melvil who is waking up from his afternoon nap. Hes just 17 months old; hell eat his snack like every day, and then were going to play like we do every day; and every day of his life this little boy will insult you with his happiness and freedom. Because you dont have his hatred either.

Antoine Leiris

Edited by Toepoke