Evel Passes - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really should stay away from reading BBC comments section. :angry:

Funny how the tone of all this is painting the SNP as raving lunatics who want everything their own way. The bill is a total carve up to weaken Labour as well but they've not made much volume in trying to attack it apart from the occasional soundbite - probably too sheepish given that these circumstances have come about as a result of their referendum antics.

Nowhere does it ever seem to make the perfectly simple point that Scottish budget is directly decided by spending and political bills and decisions in England. How difficult is that to mention?

Watched the debate online earlier as Tory MP after Tory MP stood up to complain of being bullied by us nasty Jockos. The most nasty of these was one screaming harpee of an Essex girl called Helen Wheeler who in a nutshell said "lets teach these Jock bastards a lesson."

More SNP MP's would have got to speak had Labour's Chris Bryant not went on and on like the self obsessed windbag he is for nearly half an hour making the same point over and over whilst a total of an MP called Graham Allen (Labour Nottm North) who has a big chip (for reasons unexplained) on his shoulder about Scotland claimed he was took the opportunity to attack the SNP.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

It was SNP policy to not vote on English only laws as they said it was hypocritical with areas devolved to Scottish Parliament.

Alex Salmond agreed with EVEL.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7065941.stm

Majority of Scottish people polled by the computer geek with no bird supported it.

http://whatscotlandthinks.org/questions/should-scottish-welsh-and-northern-irish-mps-should-be-prevented-from-voting-o-1

What's with the "drama" now?

Ultimately I doubt it will make any material legislative difference, It does seem like a complete dogs dinner to implement though.

Politically though it's a big thing which I expect the SNP to make of much of as possible.

I wonder what Ruth Davidson thinks of another "look how much the Tories hate Scotland" being wheeled out six months before the Holyrood elections.

It was SNP policy to not vote on English only laws as they said it was hypocritical with areas devolved to Scottish Parliament.

Majority of Scottish people polled by the computer geek with no bird supported it.

http://whatscotlandthinks.org/questions/should-scottish-welsh-and-northern-irish-mps-should-be-prevented-from-voting-o-1

The way it's implemented. Also, it can be unclear what's an English only issue.

Misrepresentation and spin again Alan.

Salmond's argument - and that of the SNP - in 2007 is entirely consistent with the current view.

The way to solve the issue of English votes is to set up an English Parliament.

Misrepresentation and spin again Alan.

Salmond's argument - and that of the SNP - in 2007 is entirely consistent with the current view.

The way to solve the issue of English votes is to set up an English Parliament.

Regional Assemblies would be better.

Both unpopular in England though.

Personally I'd like all parliaments to be in synch to cut down on number of politicians so someone could work as MSP and MP.

Only it would be just a little difficult to be in Westminster and Holyrood simultaneously.

Personally I'd like all parliaments to be in synch to cut down on number of politicians so someone could work as MSP and MP.

As a lesser of 2 evels... that would be mine. However. We now face a situation where no person representing a Scottish seat will ever have the chance of holding high office in government as it would be impossible to lead a party whilst being prevented from voting on a sizeable chunk of parliamentary bills.

That is not a good position to be in and I personally hope it paves they way for enough people to be convinced that the Union is finished

Edited by giblet

Westminster doesn't want Scots votes on English matters but they'll take Scots cash to pay for them.

Happy ?

There is a huge irony in all of this... the english have been MORE than happy to vote on Scottish only affairs for generations.. it's only now that non unionist Scottish MP's actually get an input that this so called democracy is all of a sudden unfair. The unionists have some fkin brassneck. If anything should convince anyone this union is over then surely their attitude should do so. They do not support an equal union, they want to rule.

Regional assemblies got very little support when they were proposed a few years ago but, I'm not aware of there being any significant polling in England on whether there should be an English parliament. That is apart from the ever reliable politician's bellwether of "what people are telling me on the doorstep".

Even if there had been polling, there hasn't really been any form of public debate in England about what that might look like in order for them to make any kind of informed judgement.

The real problem for the UK is that the only way you can keep it together is to have everything centralised at Westminster with nothing devolved whatsoever.

There really is no workable federal or devolved model which is sustainable.

Once you start devolving power to Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland then the ultimate conclusion will be the dissolution of the union, its just a matter of how and when.

The problem with EVEL is that it can never be fair for 2 reasons

1) barnett formula. As things stand english mps have effective veto on entire uk budget.... This is mental

2) can scottish mp ever be pm or prime minister again ?

Making devolved mps second class is a gift for the SNP.

Edited by Haggis_trap