Gerrard - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has been a slightly less successful version of Emlyn Hughes, IMO.

He suffered at England level because managers tried to shoehorn him and Lampard into the same team. It should have been one or the other. I think England suffered because of that a s well.

He isn't in the same league as Callaghan, Kennedy, Case......

Greatest ever midfielder from the UK and second greatest LFC player just behind the King.

You can argue as much as you want like the thread on Stevie G i made a few months ago, everyone has their opinion that is mine and that's all that counts. :wave::wave::wave::wave::wave: .

Greatest ever UK midfielder?

Hahahahahahaha

Lampard is head and shoulders above any English midfielder in recent years.

Depends what you class as recent years. If that covers Lampard's career then there is no way he is/was head and shoulders above Scholes.

Greatest ever midfielder from the UK and second greatest LFC player just behind the King.

You can argue as much as you want like the thread on Stevie G i made a few months ago, everyone has their opinion that is mine and that's all that counts. :wave::wave::wave::wave::wave: .

You can't honestly believe he is better than Scholes?

I like Gerrard btw, always rated him but best ever in UK? not a chance.

You can't honestly believe he is better than Scholes?

I like Gerrard btw, always rated him but best ever in UK? not a chance.

I don't think he does believe it, he's just at the wind up. No one who actually watches football would thing he is the best ever UK midfielder and I think Gerard is/was a cracking player.

1. Gerrard

2. Alonso

3. Patrick Berger

4. Henderson

5. Jamie Redknapp

6. Joe Allen

7. Coutinho

8. Hamann

9. Kuyt

10. Lampard

Scouse Eddie's list

Take off Fat Frank and swap with Nani and swap Joe Allen with Alonso and you not far off. :-))

as was Makalele in his day.

I can't think of a midfielder who's less like Gerrard than Makalele. I don't see how a comparison on them can be made with any sort of substance.

I can't think of a midfielder who's less like Gerrard than Makalele. I don't see how a comparison on them can be made with any sort of substance.

I was just commenting on the list and order, not them being the same kind of player.

Ian Black. Ian Black is less like Gerrard than Makalele!!

This is very true

I always think of that goal v Marseille re Gerrard. He got a pass that was about to go behind him a few yards outside the box but he somehow managed to wrap a curler on it and it went into the top corner, incredible finish.

Some belting comments re dirty tackling and diving on here. There was players 10 times worse than Gerrard at both. Scholes arguably the dirtiest tackler the Epl had ever seen. "Let him off ref surely, it's scholesy after all eh"

I always think of that goal v Marseille re Gerrard. He got a pass that was about to go behind him a few yards outside the box but he somehow managed to wrap a curler on it and it went into the top corner, incredible finish.

Some belting comments re dirty tackling and diving on here. There was players 10 times worse than Gerrard at both. Scholes arguably the dirtiest tackler the Epl had ever seen. "Let him off ref surely, it's scholesy after all eh"

Scholes was a bad tackler as opposed to a dirty tackler. Gerrard's had a few right nasty ones in his time whereas on the whole Scholes' looked more late/mistimed than nasty.

Haha that is nonsense. That was the myth Man U/media tried to portray for him. Do you honestly think someone can mis-time that many tackles?why is it only Scholes gets called a bad tackler? It was man Utd using everything they could to gain an advantage.

Haha that is nonsense. That was the myth Man U/media tried to portray for him. Do you honestly think someone can mis-time that many tackles?why is it only Scholes gets called a bad tackler? It was man Utd using everything they could to gain an advantage.

I would agree with that. You don't read a game or have a sense of timing of when to arrive in the box that someone like Scholes had and then not apply the same qualities to your tackling. He always knew exactly when to time a run but somehow always arrived a second late for loads of tackles. Gerrard did have more overt the top lunges on opponents but Scholes certainly wasn't an angel when it came to leaving his foot in either.