Gerrard - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Gerrard was an excellent player for Liverpool, and a very good player for England.

I think his style of play was more suited to the hustle and bustle of the EPL than it was to the often slower paced international football.

He seemed to thrive in the high tempo matches where the play was more open and end to end. He was a great box to box player who always got back and defended, as well as getting forward to score goals at the other end.

I never felt he was as good when the tempo was slower and the team had to remain patient and pass its way through, which is often the case in International football.

That's why if I was picking my best England midfield, I would opt for Gascoigne and Scholes ahead of Gerrard. For me, both of those players were better in possession during slower paced games. They controlled the game better and were able to play at a slower pace, whereas I felt that Gerrard would sometimes try and force or speed things up with 'fizzed' passes forward or unnecessary long balls.

If I was picking my all-time EPL XI, I would put Roy Keane in ahead of Gerrard - I'd probably Keane and Scholes as my midfield two. But Gerrard is definitely in the mix along with the likes of Vieira and Lampard as one of the top five or so midfielders in EPL history.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gerrard was an excellent player for Liverpool, and a very good player for England.

I think his style of play was more suited to the hustle and bustle of the EPL than it was to the often slower paced international football.

He seemed to thrive in the high tempo matches where the play was more open and end to end. He was a great box to box player who always got back and defended, as well as getting forward to score goals at the other end.

I never felt he was as good when the tempo was slower and the team had to remain patient and pass its way through, which is often the case in International football.

That's why if I was picking my best England midfield, I would opt for Gascoigne and Scholes ahead of Gerrard. For me, both of those players were better in possession during slower paced games. They controlled the game better and were able to play at a slower pace, whereas I felt that Gerrard would sometimes try and force or speed things up with 'fizzed' passes forward or unnecessary long balls.

If I was picking my all-time EPL XI, I would put Roy Keane in ahead of Gerrard - I'd probably Keane and Scholes as my midfield two. But Gerrard is definitely in the mix along with the likes of Vieira and Lampard as one of the top five or so midfielders in EPL history.

Good analysis

Good post but he would be in the top TEN....not five.

Just saw that, what the f*ck is happening there?

Can you imagine the conversation Stevie lad will have in years to come !!

"Stevie, tell me about your final match for Liverpool."

"No. Get yourself away and .... "

A Liverpool win would have meant the Europa league for them which they have zero interest in.

So lose and hope either Southampton or Spurs win.

It could be argued that being 5 - 0 at half time is making that a bit obvious and could attract the attention of authorities.

noticed its lampards last prem game 2day, no need for tears or a fanfare tho

Probably because he had that last season when he played his last game for Chelsea. And rightly so. Why would he do it again at a club he's played about 20 games for? Some people just like to be bitter tw@ts.

Probably because he had that last season when he played his last game for Chelsea. And rightly so. Why would he do it again at a club he's played about 20 games for? Some people just like to be bitter tw@ts.

well said jag

Shame to see a great pro like Gerard end his career with a number of shocking results from Liverpool. Today was embarrassing for this great club. Most of my mates are Stoke fans and they are still in the pub trying to rationalise that result today.

Shame to see a great pro like Gerard end his career with a number of shocking results from Liverpool. Today was embarrassing for this great club. Most of my mates are Stoke fans and they are still in the pub trying to rationalise that result today.

Archibalds handed to them royally.

He isn't ending his career, you have fallen for the sky sports view that the league in the states is like the senior tour in golf and isn't really playing anymore

He isn't ending his career, you have fallen for the sky sports view that the league in the states is like the senior tour in golf and isn't really playing anymore

It is. Every game I watch is played like a pre season friendly with very little skill.