Barry Ferguson - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Barry Ferguson

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't go as far as world class but definitely one of our best players of recent times. A really intelligent player (in football terms) and someone who could and should have done a lot more with his career of he'd had the right attitude.

Wouldn't go as far as world class but definitely one of our best players of recent times. A really intelligent player (in football terms) and someone who could and should have done a lot more with his career of he'd had the right attitude.

Agreed. A top class midfielder who should have achieved more(outside of his comfort zone) in the game.

This. Was a real favourite of mine but I can't help but feel he will never be held in the same stature as others due to his attitude towards the end.

At 20 years old he looked very accomplished and produced some outstanding performances. Seemed to tail off though. His style of play and attitude took a dramatic turn as the years went on and his career petered out with a whimper.

Crazy to think that for a guy who achieved so much can still be regarded as a bit of a let down for both club and country. Should have been a Rangers and Scotland legend given his ability. Only got himself to blame that he isn't IMO.

Crazy to think that for a guy who achieved so much can still be regarded as a bit of a let down for both club and country. Should have been a Rangers and Scotland legend given his ability. Only got himself to blame that he isn't IMO.

Hard to disagree with that.

Agree with this. I'd have loved him to have some balls and try and better himself in another country other than hopping across the border like he did with Blackburn. When he was young and everyone could see he had the talent it would've been interesting to see him try and further his skills on the continent. Leave that goldfish bowl in Glasgow.

Another one who could've done more with his career than he did. Shame his Scotland career ended the way it did, whilst he was ultimately in the wrong (something he's admitted to umpteen times) the lifetime ban that Burley/Smith/Peat/whoever handed was over the top.

He had some pretty hefty injuries in his career which probably held him back.. At around 22 he was absolutely outstanding - as good as anyone in Europe outwith your Zidanes etc.

:lol:

Brilliant player.

I could never understand the stick he got (mainly from Rangers fans, oddly) for backwards / sideways passes.

You only had to look at his reaction after his goal against Italy to know what it meant for him to play for Scotland, so I never had time for any of the nonsense folk said about him not caring.

Shame how it ended with Scotland & I thought the treatment afterwards was over the top. Always think he speaks pretty well about it.

Not sure he'll make it as a manager, but can't be easy at Clyde.

Mind the Georgia away game in 2007 (sorry to remind everyone) he got some amount of stick in the pub from a crowd moaning because he wouldn't pass it forward (well they thought he wasn't passing it forward) think one of them looked like Sbragia . . . .

Anyway, a fine player, but agree that he didn't achieve as much as he could have

For a couple years when he played under advocaat in the champions league it was a breath of fresh air how he shone out massively against teams like Munich, Parma, Psv. These were top sides of that era and there were definitely periods when he dominated those games at ibrox and looked every bit world class. Seemed to change when Mccleish came in

Edited by JECK

Will never forgive him for Boozegate - unacceptable on so many fronts but toppermost because he was Scotland's captain at the time.

His performance v Italy 2007 though, was one of the best individual ones ever in my lifetime from a Scotland player - he was magnificent and then some that night.

It's that standard of performance that makes me agree with the consensus view that he stayed within a comfort zone and never tested his ability to its fullest extent.

Similar failings to his brother Derek, in my view.

Another one who could've done more with his career than he did. Shame his Scotland career ended the way it did, whilst he was ultimately in the wrong (something he's admitted to umpteen times) the lifetime ban that Burley/Smith/Peat/whoever handed was over the top.

Have to agree, George Peat over stepped George Burley and blew this out of proportion, only for Levien to beg Barry to come back!

Only the SFA !

:hammer::hammer::hammer:

Will never forgive him for Boozegate - unacceptable on so many fronts but toppermost because he was Scotland's captain at the time.

From what i heard half the team were in the bar, 5 mins before pressley blew the whistle.

Not condoning it in the slightest, but these guys are overpaid schoolboys, storm in a tea cup blew out of proportion.

He should have stayed at Blackburn and eventually got himself a move to a team like Everton or Spurs. Would have improved as a player too.

It's quite embarrassing when you think of the emotional hold that the Old Firm has on many Scottish players. :hammer:

Edited by ErsatzThistle

Agreed. He rarely let Scotland down, was a mainstay in the team for many years, and deserved to be treated better after slipping up with one moment of madness.