Team Gb On The Cards Again..... - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team Gb On The Cards Again.....

wanderer

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be interesting to see how this plays out politically. I think its fairly safe to say that Scotland in particular and the UK in general is a much different place since 2008 when this was first proposed.

Here's what the then Secretary State for Scotland had to say at the time.

Concerns have been raised that a combined British team could affect the status of individual nations within football's governing body Fifa.

Murphy said it was for football people to decide but the SFA said it still saw the idea as a threat.

o.gif

The Scottish secretary said he had been seeking assurances over the possibility of a GB international team taking part in the 2012 London Olympics.

"I met Jerome Valcke, the general secretary of Fifa, yesterday and told him about my concerns and the concerns that many Scots have," said Murphy.

"He confirmed that Fifa, of course who regulate football, that the executive will agree that this one-off under-23 tournament could take place and it will not jeopardise the status of any of the home nations and I think that's very welcome news."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/league_of_wales/7725010.stm

Can't really complain about this, especially considering we actually turned down the chance to be a country. No doubt the proud Scots want their cake as usual and have this halfway house. ''We've always had a team'', ''we weren't voting on the national team'' etc.

Some choice words from the FAW and good on them. No doubt the SFA will all be in a room just looking at each other not having a scoobie on what their next move is.

Guest flumax

Good statement by the Welsh.

shame they didn't ban for life those who opted for gb over Wales. Thai would have sent a stronger message.

Chris McLaughlin has just posted this on Twitter,

"SFA would not prevent players taking part but remain against the idea in principal"

What a beige response. Gutless cowards. Is this not even more mealy than our stance in 2012?

We need to be getting in the way.

J

Can't really complain about this, especially considering we actually turned down the chance to be a country. No doubt the proud Scots want their cake as usual and have this halfway house. ''We've always had a team'', ''we weren't voting on the national team'' etc.

Some choice words from the FAW and good on them. No doubt the SFA will all be in a room just looking at each other not having a scoobie on what their next move is.

cut out the we

Whilst I'm against the idea, and against football as an Olympic event entirely, it's not really that big a deal is it?

Our independence as a football nation will always remain intact.

Banning players for representing TeamGB? Get a grip ffs :lol:

your middle statement is naive in the extreme....

we were told in 2012 it was a one off. now if it happens in Rio, it will happen in every Olympics from now on. why would it not.....

one or two good performances and suddenly, lets enter team GB into W.C and E.C.

Friendlies will be arranged , media wanking over the event etc etc

Scotland are on the up and England are on the way down,,, Bale, Gauld, Robertson , etc in a team GB would get the media

Making a statement that if players play for GB then they wont get a game for Scotland is one way of ensuring this wont happen.

Let them play for GB , but then they don't play for Scotland, that's what I would do..

they choose who to play for,

Slightly different but Mc Geady and Mc Carthy did it. they choose another association to play for, that's fine by me, but I don't want them playing for Scotland.

Maybe if they did a GB and Ireland thing, it might work, like the rugger.

Again I say your naivety is worrying in the extreme. can you see no circumstance where this could be the norm?

I don't think it would be unreasonable for a team to represent GB if they qualify. I wouldn't be thrilled about it but if it was clear that it England qualify (like could happen this time), an English team plays, that is not too bad.

If the English side qualifies and then a mixed team takes part, other FAs will be looking at how GB have 4 chances to qualify and everyone else has 1. It simply wouldn't be fair. That is when there would be pressure to combine the 4 teams permanently.

It's not out the question that England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland all reach France 2016. A combined side would mean 3 extra places for all those sides that miss out. It's a dangerous path to go down and it's simply not worth the risk.

Am sure i read a proposed team somwhere the other day and it was made up of young English players and Gareth Bale so we've probably got nothing to worry about. Arrogant priks of the highest calibre in the media honestly, You will be part of GB should we need you but we probably wont pick any of your players when push comes to shove.

If the English side qualifies and then a mixed team takes part, other FAs will be looking at how GB have 4 chances to qualify and everyone else has 1. It simply wouldn't be fair. That is when there would be pressure to combine the 4 teams permanently.

I'd rather we didn't give any ground on this, but tbh apart from a few people mouthing off I could never see FIFA / UEFA forceably combining 4 associations. Too much hassle for them...

I'd rather we didn't give any ground on this, but tbh apart from a few people mouthing off I could never see FIFA / UEFA forceably combining 4 associations. Too much hassle for them...

But another reason for FIFA to force it through is IFAB (is that right?!!) the group that decide on football rules. At the moment Fifa have 4 delegates plus the four home nations each having a vote. Get rid of 3 home nations and FIFA suddenly have all the say in making the rules.

Whilst I'm against the idea, and against football as an Olympic event entirely, it's not really that big a deal is it?

Our independence as a football nation will always remain intact.

Banning players for representing TeamGB? Get a grip ffs :lol:

Yes it is. If that's what you want then just bin the 4 separates and make it permanent...