Your Clubs Best Signing? - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your Clubs Best Signing?

I remember him giving Doug Rougvie a doing one game at Tannadice to the extent that Rougvie was hooked. Next game big Doug hit him hard and fair early on and he was never as effective against him again. (Quote)

I assume that was after the day Ralphie scored 2 at Pittodrie and generally terrorised the whole Dons defence few weeks before we won the league in 83 and still only 20 at the time?

I think the clue was in the Tannadice part :wink2:

That game at Pittodrie was more than a few weeks before the end of the league season as it was 3 days after we dispatched Bayern Munich in the ECWC QF.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought yours would have been United keeper Alan Main ?

Och you fall for that United pish tae wae Main. He's a big hvn actually. The greatest keeper I have seen in a Saints jersey. He should've been capped ahead of Gould and Douglas. It was his size that let him down. He was that respected in Perth they named a stand after him! :-))

For ability alone, its Gillhaus but big Dunc made some impact. Then there was Mixu - what a fcukin signin ;-).

Shearer was certainly prolific on signing from Blackburn

Although he was part of the misfiring team that almost went down ; ditto Billy Dodds

Was away backpacking at the time so didn't see any games or get reports ; just 3 day old updates in the Bangkok post newspaper....

Made it back for Falkirk away

Mixu was great signing but he never made an impact v old firm; his goals always against lesser opponents

My 'favourite' Huun was Avi Cohen

Thought he was class

Stewart Beedie was good signing for Utd

That game at Pittodrie was more than a few weeks before the end of the league season as it was 3 days after we dispatched Bayern Munich in the ECWC QF.

United certainly had our number that season

Always wondered tho if they would have actually won the league if Aberdeen were not involved in 3 fronts until the last day

- days of small squads too

United certainly had our number that season

Always wondered tho if they would have actually won the league if Aberdeen were not involved in 3 fronts until the last day

- days of small squads too

They knocked us out the LC but in the league it was 2 wins a piece with us winning 3-0 & 5-1 and losing 2-0 & 2-1.

We did beat Celtic 3 times out of 4 in the league which helped Utd a lot obviously.

Yea just checked 19 March. Thought it was later. 3 days after United went out of Europe in quarters and if I remember right Dundee beat Celtic that day in big shock

The one memory of Tommy Burns that i think epitomised the type of guy he was, is..... During an Old firm match (I can't recall if he was playing or managing Celtic at the time) a wee lassie in a Rangers top approached him at the dug out to ask him for an autograph, he happily signed it and gave her a kiss on the top of the head, meanwhile in the background all you could see were contorted faces of grown men snarling and shouting at him.

The contrast in the two situations was sad but expected.

A year or two after Ayr knocked Killie out of the Scottish Cup, when Andy Walker scored his chipped penalty, Tommy played in a Killie v Ayr Legends match at Somerset. Being a relative young'un, it was the only time I actually saw him play, but he looked a class act even among some very good players who took part.

Having naturally been on the end of some fairly good natured abuse from the Somerset Road End, Killie were awarded a penalty in front of us. Tommy proceeded to copy Andy Walker's chip, right down to running along the bye-line, arms outstretched in celebration!

Magic.

To narrow down my 3 earlier selections I would say Brian Laudrup. He was the first footballer I was ever really in awe of and he was miles ahead of anyone else playing Scotland at that time. He practically glided (glode?) across the park and made everything look so effortless. You could almost guarantee when he got the ball that he was going to beat his man or pick out a player with an inch perfect pass. I remember a particular game against Thistle (I think) at Ibrox where he skinned the young boy playing full back that much that he had to pay to get back in!

The 5-1 Scottish Cup final against Hearts was easily the best performance I've ever seen from a Rangers player. It says it all when Gordon Durie scores the first hat trick in a final for 25 years yet the match is named after someone else!

For me it would be Steve Kindon back in 1979-80. I can't ever remember a player galvanising us in quite the way he did. He was the driving force that took us to the 4th Division championship that season (the last time we ever finished top of any division). He had to retire a couple of years later following a fractured skull but remains a legend.

I remember him being booed remorselessly one Tuesday night at Burnley (who we signed him from) during the warm-up & as the game started. He contrived to score after about 90 seconds, ran away from the Town fans in one corner of the ground, spun round the goal in front of the Burnley end & back towards us giving the two-fingered salute all the way. It's a tragedy they banned that sort of thing :-))

I saw him recently when we played Wolves (his other former club). He's about 60 & 20-odd stone & still acts like he has ADHD.

Tough choice this between Cooper and Laudrup.

I wanted to be Davie Cooper so much when I was wee I even tried to play left footed for a while. I forgot I was gash using my good right foot, so was always doomed to fail. He was the one player you'd pay to watch in the Rangers team. Also a bargain at £100k.

Laudrup was just sublime when in full flow. And he scored the goal that clinched 9 in a row. One game against Motherwell really stuck in my mind for the roasting he gave their entire back line and midfield. But he cost about £2.5m so although still a bargain based on ability, he wasn't exactly cheap.

But sticking to the rules I'll go for Super Cooper. Despite being slow and one footed he was absolutely peerless when on song.

Edited by RenfrewBlue

As a 26 year old Killie fan its hard to say, when I was younger I loved Christophe Cocard and Craig Dargo too. When I was the mascot Durant was the captain and was really good to me and my cousin so had a soft spot for him. Moving on Eremenko would be the best player of recent years.

Bojan by miles – if he comes back as good as he was before his injury he’ll be at a top 4 side in no time. Sums up how mental the Premiership is that a team like Stoke could afford his wages.

If my wife offered me a threesome I’d have her making sandwiches whilst me, him and John Walters spooned.

excellent thread. Good to look back at some cracking players we have had up here over the years. Totally forgot about the madness at Dens :D no surprise to see Larson and Hillhaus getting a mention. Two players I hated us being up against, along with John Collins and Jim Bett.

Tricky one for me. McCoist was always my favourite player although he was already at the club by the time I started going (1987) so not sure if that counts.

Probably go with Gascoigne as I still think he is the best player to play in Scottisfh football since I've been going to games. I am of course biased and I know there is a good case for others but for me he was the best. Was constantly looking to influence the game and Used to run back towards our defenders and demand the ball. I was used to seeing us knock long balls to Hateley so it was great to watch someone that wanted to get on the ball and play.

Folk might find my choice odd but Di Canio for me.

As much as Larsson was just an unbelievable player for us Paulo was a player who's talent was just superb and did things with the ball that was beyond anyone on the game in Scotland at the time.

He is and was an underachiever though. Huge underachiever for the amount of talent he had in his boots.