Your Clubs Best Signing? - Page 5 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your Clubs Best Signing?

Made some brilliant signings in shite teams. Lee Richardson, Arild Stavrum, Roberto Bisconti, Markus Heinkenen and Kari Arneson. Would loved to have seen some of them in today's Dons team (which, in case anyone hasn't read what Deecie has been saying, is awesome).

Best signing though - Charlie Nicholas.

As a jag I loved watching zerouali. Thought he was amazingly talented. Poor guy.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Folk might find my choice odd but Di Canio for me.

As much as Larsson was just an unbelievable player for us Paulo was a player who's talent was just superb and did things with the ball that was beyond anyone on the game in Scotland at the time.

He is and was an underachiever though. Huge underachiever for the amount of talent he had in his boots.

Always admired Di Canio. Totally natural talent that you could only applaud. Preferred him after he left Celtic though! ?

Probably him or Cantona for the best opposition player I've seen at Ibrox.

Bojan by miles if he comes back as good as he was before his injury hell be at a top 4 side in no time. Sums up how mental the Premiership is that a team like Stoke could afford his wages.

If my wife offered me a threesome Id have her making sandwiches whilst me, him and John Walters spooned.

This has put me right off my dinner. ?

excellent thread.

Probably go with Gascoigne as I still think he is the best player to play in Scottisfh football since I've been going to games. I am of course biased and I know there is a good case for others but for me he was the best. Was constantly looking to influence the game and Used to run back towards our defenders and demand the ball. I was used to seeing us knock long balls to Hateley so it was great to watch someone that wanted to get on the ball and play.

Hard to disagree Gus, great feet, great mind, great elbows............. ;)

As much as Larsson was just an unbelievable player for us Paulo was a player who's talent was just superb and did things with the ball that was beyond anyone on the game in Scotland at the time.

He is and was an underachiever though. Huge underachiever for the amount of talent he had in his boots.

I was at his debut as a sub at RP.

Unbelievable

As a Dons fan I'd say Lubo Moravcik was the best opposition player I saw play for a Scottish club.

I remember the sneering in the media when he signed. Who is this Slovak nobody from France? They soon changed their tune.

Larsson and Moravcik combined cost Celtic less than Tony Cascarino...

I was at his debut as a sub at RP.

Unbelievable

Aye. Killie were ahead and well in control, he totally turned the game, the bas.

Mind going to Parkhead when we got beat 6-0. He was doing heidy keepy uppy in the first 10 minutes...

Edited by Toepoke

Didn't that gimp Keevins say shortly after Moravcik signed for Celtic that John Spencer would have been a better signing ? :-))

Aye haha.

Was gonna start a thread on it, but what about players you expected to be brilliant, but turned out to be shite. Could be big names, or just players you were excited about.

Juninho never lived up to the hype. Du Wei for some reason I had big hopes for. Media build up of course.

what about players you expected to be brilliant, but turned out to be shite. Could be big names, or just players you were excited about.

Brian Mclair in his 2nd spell, so disappointed, much like I was with what I saw of him for scotland.

Roberto Martinez, wage thief, uninterested.

Stephen McManus, to sign a guy who has captained celtic to the last 16 of the champions league and captained Scotland at only 31 seemed like a real coup. He's ####in' awful!

Not an odd choice IMO. Outstanding footballer and you are spot on about him being an under achiever. Being a Gers man you would expect me to dislike him, especially given the way he got in opponents faces. I've always liked a player to have that though and having read his book he has s great attitude to the game, especially supporters.

I think he maybe isn't held in such high regard because he had his best playing years away from Celtic?

Don't agree with your statement about other players although I'm obviously biased.

Always admired Di Canio. Totally natural talent that you could only applaud. Preferred him after he left Celtic though! ?

Probably him or Cantona for the best opposition player I've seen at Ibrox.

In terms of an individual performance, Mendieta would get that award from me. Sensational the night Valencia came to town. We were a good side then and were made to look very ordinary by a very classy side.

Hard to disagree Gus, great feet, great mind, great elbows............. ;)

Ha very true m8. Gazza has done a lot of things on and off the field that are simply indefensible. And as I said there are cases to be made for other players being the best in that era.

I just can't remember such a level of excitement surrounding a player and it's fair to say he did deliver the goods. Spurs fans will disagree but I reckon we got the best two years out of him. Fantastic to watch.

As for players who were a let down, well we have had our fair share have t we? A few that stick out for me:

Jonas thern (bought 5 years too late)

Konterrman

Basil Boli

David Templeton

Alan Gow (folk will laugh at me saying that but I really rated that lad, never given a chance for whatever reason)

Duncan Ferguson

Paul Rideout

Biggest has to be guivarch though. Had just played from the start in the World Cup final. Didn't look interested after a great start.

As for players who were a let down, well we have had our fair share have t we? A few that stick out for me:

Jonas thern (bought 5 years too late)

Konterrman

Basil Boli

David Templeton

Alan Gow (folk will laugh at me saying that but I really rated that lad, never given a chance for whatever reason)

Duncan Ferguson

Paul Rideout

Biggest has to be guivarch though. Had just played from the start in the World Cup final. Didn't look interested after a great start.

Rideout was bought as a replacement for Hateley when out injured

nice to have 3/4 mill? in back pocket to cover an injury....

how about andy gray ?

Rideout was bought as a replacement for Hateley when out injured

nice to have 3/4 mill? in back pocket to cover an injury....

how about andy gray ?

Na can't put Gray in that bracket. A huge talent but he was well on the decline by the time he came to us. His goals had dried up and he wasn't playing too many matches. Don't think anyone expected anything more than what we got from him. Good, honest pro who gave his all when he got a run out. One of the many pointless signings we made.

Can always mind his celebration when he got his first goal at Ibrox. Might have been his only one actually. Like a wean in a sweetie shop.

for me at Morton has to be Janne Lindberg, in the 2nd Division and we sign a Finnish Internationalist!!! Excellent player who was a class act of the pitch to!!!

for another team after reading The Sun today has to be Jeroen Tesselaar!!!!!

for me at Morton has to be Janne Lindberg, in the 2nd Division and we sign a Finnish Internationalist!!! Excellent player who was a class act of the pitch to!!!

for another team after reading The Sun today has to be Jeroen Tesselaar!!!!!

Rajamaki was something else too or at least he was against Berwick!! You had a really good team of footballers then. Cut above.

Just googled him to see they made their debuts and we beat you at our place 22 October 94. :!: Time flies.

Edited by macy37