Series Worth Watching - Page 97 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Series Worth Watching

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Painkillers on netflix is decent. Its the 2nd dramatised series about the Sacklers and the oxy epidemic in the US. 

I preferred Dopesick on disney plus but Painkillers is worth a watch. Matthew Broderick is very good in it

As an aside, I saw Matthew Broderick in a play in New York and it was by far the worst acting performance I’ve ever seen. He was that wooden I got skelfs just watching him! 

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Painkillers on netflix is decent. Its the 2nd dramatised series about the Sacklers and the oxy epidemic in the US. 

I preferred Dopesick on disney plus but Painkillers is worth a watch. Matthew Broderick is very good in it

The Pharmacist is a good documentary on the same subject. Also on Netflix, I think?

4 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Anyone else been watching 'Spy among Friends'? I must admit I didn't know masses about Kim Philby beforehand but have enjoyed the series. Maybe a bit slow in places but the acting from Damien Lewis, Guy Pearce and Anna Maxwell Martin was quite superb.

You should watch “the real spies among friends” a documentary about the events, the British intelligence agencies appear to make the keystone cops look professional. Interesting that the spies seen communism as the only way to defeat fascism I’d always assumed it was about money and the promise of retirement in Moscow with free hookers for life

23 hours ago, dan cake said:

You should watch “the real spies among friends” a documentary about the events, the British intelligence agencies appear to make the keystone cops look professional. Interesting that the spies seen communism as the only way to defeat fascism I’d always assumed it was about money and the promise of retirement in Moscow with free hookers for life

Yes I did watch the documentary as well. Slightly uncomfortable that, although no great fan of Stalin or the Soviet brand of Communism, I had some sympathy at times for the spies for the reasons you mention and also because of the fairly right wing Imperialistic tendencies that were entrenched in the British ruling classes.

On 7/3/2023 at 2:59 PM, Fairbairn said:

Just finished Succession. Absolutely fantastic telly! Probably the best thing I’ve watched since The Wire. At the moment I’m struggling to think of anything to criticise! 

same for me ; best on tv since Mad Men in my book though

its interesting how things have developed since the start of the 'movie budget ' tv series

- there was some of that epic mini series stuff back in the 80s , north & south , and the ww2 one with Robert Mitchum but all seemed a bit hart to hart / love boat cheesy in comparison to late 90s onwards ....

Started watching ‘A Small Light’ , a drama about Miep Gies who hid Anne Frank and her family from the Nazis. I almost gave up after 15 mins as it seemed a bit too modern and over produced  for the subject,  but I stuck with it and got used to it . Have only watched 2 episodes and its quite good. Tells the Anne Frank story from a different angle as it more to do with Miep’s involvement . 

I watched The Diary of Anne Frank film when I was about 8 or 9 yrs old, I can remember it like  yesterday, it upset me so much. 

Wham! on Netflix is very good. I was never a fan but recognised later on what an incredible talent and good person George Michael was. Less known is Andrew Ridgley’s role in all of it, this shines a clearer light on that and other general madness!

Anyway I enjoyed it so watch it ya cunts……or not😂

• 2 weeks later...

New series of Gone Fishing has started. Such a great wee programme makes me feel happier just watching it.
Ted’s birthday party 🤣

At the other end of the spectrum we have ‘Shelter’ on Prime.  See any of those other programmes I have moaned about ?  Well, multiply that by ten. 

Just spent the last 10 weeks rewatching MASH all 251 episodes of it. Mrs B had never seen it and I hadn't seen it since I was a wean. Really enjoyed watching it again, even had a wee tear in my eye at a couple of episodes. 

Edited by bonzo

Just finished the last few episodes of Succession which I see mentioned by a few others. So many twists and turns in every episode! 

Not sure if that’s the end of it? 

As a short aside and bit of movie trivia - I was in a bar in NYC last week which is a scene location in Highlander. Was talking to the barman and he said that they’d filmed Succession there as well. I’d literally just watched the episode - it’s a dive bar in season 4 - and hadn’t picked up on it. So there you go - random link to Highlander and Succession, if you’re ever in NYC and fancy a pint in Peter McManus Cafe! 

38 minutes ago, bonzo said:

Just spent the last 10 weeks rewatching MASH all 251 episodes of it. Mrs B had never seen it and I hadn't seen it since I was a wean. Really enjoyed watching it again, even had a wee tear in my eye at a couple of episodes. 

Obv with the canned laughter removed

Whoever came up with that idea needs watching

• 2 weeks later...

just finished "Class Act" ; Bernard Tapie .... pretty decent , esp if you have an interest in the football ; for some reason it never mentions Look pedals & la vie claire -for the cycling aficionados

enjoyed it all ; aside from one episode it focuses on his tv show ; found that one slow 

12 hours ago, slasher said:

Have really enjoyed the Top Boy/Top Boy Summerhouse series on Netflix. Probably the best thing I’ve watched in a while 👍

It's really good but they made it needlessly confusing when it switched to Netflix and rebranded the original C4 Top Boy as "Summerhouse" and just calling the new Netflix seasons Top Boy. I know a couple of people coming to it late who thought the Netflix seasons were the first ones and Summerhouse was a sequel/prequel.  

PS - If you enjoyed that and haven't seen it check out Snowfall on iPlayer.  

Edited by Fairbairn

Not quite a series as such but does anyone else watch those Skyarts shows called 'Discovering...' which focus on a specific actor, director or genre? It's mainly the same 4 film critics talking but they are all very knowledgeable and engaging on whatever the focus is. Always come away wishing I'd made a note of things to watch or rewatch. Ideal if you're not in the mood for a specific show or are in-between stuff. 

Watching ‘Welcome to Wrexham’. Strangely enough I know absolutely nothing about this story and have never even heard of Ryan Reynolds or Rob McAleny before now. It’s really easy watching and enjoyable . I think they come over as very likeable though I dont know how how it all pans out . The people taking part in the documentary are real fans, its quite heart warming, well , between all the ‘fucks ‘ 😁

Last night’s episode they were playing against Maidenhead , at Maidenhead, in the first season the ‘celebrities’ took over and was wondering if you were there @aaid? I am sure you have mentioned being at Maidenhead games before.

Have now watched a few episodes of The Bear , it gets less manic than the first episode and worth watching.

On the last episode of Yellowjackets. After a very American cheer leading type start it gets pretty gruesome . Will be too ‘American’ for some but its been strangely addictive. 

54 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Last night’s episode they were playing against Maidenhead , at Maidenhead, in the first season the ‘celebrities’ took over and was wondering if you were there @aaid? I am sure you have mentioned being at Maidenhead games before.

I was indeed, it was certainly a bit of a surreal experience.   From speaking to people after the game the club had about a week’s notice that the owners would be there but were asked to keep it quiet.  The club couldn’t speak highly enough of the film crew who they described as very professional.  The two owners were great as well apparently, very low key and no attitude.  I have to admit I was a bit non-plus see about it.

It was a real “Welcome to the National League” for them including having a man sent off and losing 2-1 - we actually have a decent record against Wrexham - to chants of “Ryan Reynolds, You bought the wrong club” and “Maidenhead are on a bender, Ryan Reynolds is a sex offender” from a bunch of 16 year olds.

That evening though was summed up to me by the fact that after the game, the Wrexham contingent went to Cliveden House Hotel, where they were staying.  That’s an old stately home that has been owned by various people over the years, most notably the Astors and features very heavily in the Profumo affair.  It’s now an exclusive 5 star hotel.

After the game we went into the clubhouse, had a couple of pints and then went to get the train up the branch line.  Got onto the platform and bumped into to our owner - who despite being seriously loaded himself is one of the most down to earth guys you could meet - is standing there with a can of Fosters and he’s all “whay hey hey, we fucking beat them”