Series Worth Watching - Page 28 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Series Worth Watching

9 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Arriving at the theater we had pretty good seats and I found myself on the centre aisle seat about half a dozen rows from the front (back before the remove the middle aisle at the Kings in Glasgow).  The lights go down, curtain comes up and I sense some commotion behind me.  All of a sudden there are "Cats" everywhere in the room bar the fucking stage.  Before I knew what was happening one of the Cats ran up the aisle towards me and perched itself on my lap, rubbing his head against my neck and arm in that weird way that real cats do when they want attention and basically wouldn't leave until I'd patted his head.

Maybe it was after a rum tum tugger 😊

11 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

About 15 years ago I bought my then girlfriend (now wife) 2 tickets for Cats as a present for birthday/Christmas or some such.  She's always been quite in to musicals and I thought it would be nice if she could go and see it with a friend or her Mum or someone (anyone).  She was so touched by the gesture that she insisted I go along with her.  I tried to stress how much musicals weren't my thing and that Cats in particular seemed like a bit of a stretch.  She was pretty insistent and I eventually agreed on the proviso she could assure me there wasn't any kind of audience participation which she did.

Arriving at the theater we had pretty good seats and I found myself on the centre aisle seat about half a dozen rows from the front (back before the remove the middle aisle at the Kings in Glasgow).  The lights go down, curtain comes up and I sense some commotion behind me.  All of a sudden there are "Cats" everywhere in the room bar the fucking stage.  Before I knew what was happening one of the Cats ran up the aisle towards me and perched itself on my lap, rubbing his head against my neck and arm in that weird way that real cats do when they want attention and basically wouldn't leave until I'd patted his head.

They all returned to the stage and started the show and I sat with a burning red face for about 3/4 of an hour afterwards.  I'd like to  say that was the worst thing that happened to me that evening but the embarrassment and uncomfortableness (not a word, I know) paled in to insignificance when compared to the torture of having to sit through 120 minutes of what must be the dullest, daftest, most nonsensical show ever committed to the stage!

Similar story here except luckily the cats sat on my wife's knee instead of mine 👍🏻👍🏻

Oh and Cats was shite. 

I'm surprised by the lack of Game of Thrones talk on here however the latest episode was probably the finest bit of television I've seen in a long, long time.  I was exhausted by the end of it and still feeling the effects the day after! 

3 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

I'm surprised by the lack of Game of Thrones talk on here however the latest episode was probably the finest bit of television I've seen in a long, long time.  I was exhausted by the end of it and still feeling the effects the day after! 

Agreed, that was what I had been waiting for from GOT. I thought the previous season was quite poor but last night is what it built up to be. an excellent episode

4 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

I'd go as far as saying last night was the best bit of TV I've ever seen!

Unreal - watched it again this morning! 

It was visually and musically stunning, some really epic scenes. Nice jumps between action and suspense. The way they did the first 15 mins as everyone prepared was amazing too.

The plot is still a total shambles though. No one knows about the white walkers bar the north. They'll be saying "we saved humanity from certain death and endless winter" everyone else will be saying "WTF are you talking about it's not even snowing here, Night King? You been drinking"

There really are some cracking series out there, my mistake is I compare them all with the Soprano's and in my opinion nothing will ever come close, it was just compelling from start to finish, a masterpiece with superb acting.

On GoT ,  a few people I have spoken to had problems with the picture, some struggling to see much for the first 20mins. I found the scenes with the dragons a bit unclear at times but fine other than that.   

Like everyone else I was really impressed. I cannot think of any other TV programme, or film, that could keep me interested in a battle for that long. The  scene with the Dothraki I found quite haunting. 

46 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

On GoT ,  a few people I have spoken to had problems with the picture, some struggling to see much for the first 20mins. I found the scenes with the dragons a bit unclear at times but fine other than that.   

Like everyone else I was really impressed. I cannot think of any other TV programme, or film, that could keep me interested in a battle for that long. The  scene with the Dothraki I found quite haunting. 

I thought it was just us there were bits we just couldn't make out. 

Just finished watching 11-22-63 and thought it was great and unusually quite clever

Had it on my Tivo box for 3 years and eventually got round to it

Sarah Gadon that plays Sadie is lovely

v1.cjs0MzY4MDtqOzE4MDQ1OzEyMDA7MzYwOzMyM

MV5BNzQ5ZmUwNTAtNTEyZC00ZTEzLWEyOTUtYzgx

Episode 3, Series 8 of GOT  was simply incredible viewing. I sat transfixed with for around 40 minutes. Visuals were amazing but its what they did with your mind that created the biggest impact. 

Edited by EddardStark

20 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I think near everyone had the same issue and I think it was deliberate. It wasn't a TV issue thing, it was more this battle is taking place in the dark, those involved can't really see whats happening and to try and make you feel part of it neither should you. When the added the snow falling to the darkness it made it even worse. You couldn't see what was happening in the distance and when it got hand to hand then it was very fast and chaotic, again to probably give you a better understanding of those in the battle and what they were experiencing.

The dragon battles look like they had been filmed by someone on a rollercoaster with a Go Pro strapped to their head. Again to probably give the feeling of being on the dragons.

The Dothraki getting "snuffed out" was indeed very haunting.

3 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

I think near everyone had the same issue and I think it was deliberate. It wasn't a TV issue thing, it was more this battle is taking place in the dark, those involved can't really see whats happening and to try and make you feel part of it neither should you. When the added the snow falling to the darkness it made it even worse. You couldn't see what was happening in the distance and when it got hand to hand then it was very fast and chaotic, again to probably give you a better understanding of those in the battle and what they were experiencing.

The dragon battles look like they had been filmed by someone on a rollercoaster with a Go Pro strapped to their head. Again to probably give the feeling of being on the dragons.

The plan certainly worked, I was concentrating so hard my body was rigid with tension. My daughter had watched it earlier in the evening and told us to make the room as dark as we could, I think that helped a bit.  It was so dark I had to use the torch on my phone to find the pause button on the remote and tripped on my pyjamas on the way to the loo.

7 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

The Dothraki in the open field , Ned!! Not as dangerous as Sam on his back.

Thankfully Melissandre (i notice the Lord of the Light only sent 1 person to fight the long night, and no troops) helped light it up for us and Drogon and Rhaegal.

I must admit all the farcical plot points kept ripping me out of my immersion. I hope Jon was distracting Viseryon for Arya to run past by shouting at it, they just couldn;t show Arya cause it would waste the reveal. As opposed to him just shouting at it.

Surely Arya can just go kill Cersei , Euron then take one of their faces and send the gold company back, while everyone chills back in the north. That way she sorted out the Twins, the NK and the settled the war for the throne.

12 minutes ago, thplinth said:

I had to recently stop reading this thread due to suspecting it was full of spoilers. Is it?

aye, sorry i didn't even think and too late to spoiler it.

Edited by phart

9 hours ago, phart said:

The Dothraki in the open field , Ned!! Not as dangerous as Sam on his back.

Thankfully Melissandre (i notice the Lord of the Light only sent 1 person to fight the long night, and no troops) helped light it up for us and Drogon and Rhaegal.

I must admit all the farcical plot points kept ripping me out of my immersion. I hope Jon was distracting Viseryon for Arya to run past by shouting at it, they just couldn;t show Arya cause it would waste the reveal. As opposed to him just shouting at it.

Surely Arya can just go kill Cersei , Euron then take one of their faces and send the gold company back, while everyone chills back in the north. That way she sorted out the Twins, the NK and the settled the war for the throne.

God knows what course the last two books are going to take. I am disappointed that the Night King appears to have met his demise though. Hopefully he will last a bit longer in the books as there is lot we don't know about him. 

Edited by EddardStark

Line Of Duty left itself very exposed for lots of things to happen next series. My wife and I only started watching it a few weeks ago, doing series 1 in a night and sleeping in for work, glad we did. An excellent series. 

2 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Line Of Duty left itself very exposed for lots of things to happen next series. My wife and I only started watching it a few weeks ago, doing series 1 in a night and sleeping in for work, glad we did. An excellent series. 

Weve just started series 2 of line of duty, hooked on it. Arguably the best British drama series theres been in a long time. 

4 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Weve just started series 2 of line of duty, hooked on it. Arguably the best British drama series theres been in a long time. 

I’ll say no more then. I hate catching up as you’ve gotta avoid all the papers and social media talk until you’re back in touch 🙈