Finland game - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Finland game

Hertsscot

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that Conway is in the squad would it best to give him a chance v Finland?

Would be good to see how he does. We have very few attacking players in the squad so Conway might be required to play especially if we switch to 2 upfront. 

18 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Would be good to see how he does. We have very few attacking players in the squad so Conway might be required to play especially if we switch to 2 upfront. 

I doubt he’ll start against Finland but I’d certainly give him half an hour or even the second half. Giving him his senior debut against Germany or even Hungary when we need a goal to win the game and possibly get out the group would be asking a bit much. 

Let’s see what he can do on Friday in front of a big crowd.  

4 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

I think Adams should get a good hour as the priority the give Conway time to get applauded on and get a feel for things.

I can't get the Christian Dailly podcast on the SFA youtube channel out of my head. He made a point about Walter getting into him after a game for not offering an overlap run in the 89th min and being cautious. Walter was demanding a relentlessness.

After the article today with Steve Clarke saying the players were/are nervous I just feel the first XI need that platform to perform. The opening game is going to have a lot of hassle and emotion. We have enough guys to harness that and use it to our advantage but they have to be in the best place in their heads.

Unless there are still some fitness issues with our best players, I think we should start with as close to our first 11 as possible against Finland. 

Better to identify flaws in the system or tweaks that can be made now than against the hosts. 

3 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Unless there are still some fitness issues with our best players, I think we should start with as close to our first 11 as possible against Finland. 

Better to identify flaws in the system or tweaks that can be made now than against the hosts. 

Completely agree.

8 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

We also need a morale boosting win against decent opposition and fielding our first team is our best chance. 

I'd be surprised if we put in a good performance against Finland. The injury to Dykes and being so close to the Euros means I doubt many players will be fully committed.  I'd wager that a lot of them would rather not play the game at all.

5 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

I'd be surprised if we put in a good performance against Finland. The injury to Dykes and being so close to the Euros means I doubt many players will be fully committed.  I'd wager that a lot of them would rather not play the game at all.

I agree but it won't stop the snipers having a go if it's not a vintage performance.  Some folk just fail to see the bigger picture 

1 minute ago, todd said:

I agree but it won't stop the snipers having a go if it's not a vintage performance.  Some folk just fail to see the bigger picture 

The bigger picture is we’re pish just now and have been for a while. Wanting us to come good again is hardly sniping.

The manager who has done great is rightly under pressure if we continue to be rubbish and a tough watch.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

The bigger picture is we’re pish just now and have been for a while. Wanting us to come good again is hardly sniping.

The manager who has done great is rightly under pressure if we continue to be rubbish and a tough watch.

We were excellent away to Holland until we made changes, we certainly weren't pish. We could have scored 4 or 5 that night and hit the woodwork twice. 

We were rotten vs Northern Ireland but qualified with a bit to spare and most of the defeats have come in friendlies against top ranked sides. 

I wouldn't say we're "pish right now". 

We went to Cyrpus (a place we've struggled at in the past) and won at a canter, went to Spain and were extremely unlucky with decisions, qualified with two games to spare and then drew in Georgia )a place we'd never got a point before) and then drew 3-3 with the 2nd top seed in a dead rubber with a much changed side (both sides)

Lost to England, France & Holland in friendlies. Not great but last time we beat any of them competitively was 2007 nevermind a friendly.

We got the job done early. i've no doubt had we needed to beat Georgia and Norway the last two games, we would have.

The real bad performance for me was NI. 

We certainly aren't pish and vs Holland for example, we certainly weren't a tough watch. 

I expect, as previously mentioned, will be players trying not to get injured. A win would be great but it's not the be all and end all in a game like this for me. 

Real stuff starts next friday.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

1 hour ago, Burj_Alba said:

Don't think Morgan will play any part tomorrow, 5+ hours flight and 5 hours time difference. 

Really cannot take that sort of risk at this stage.

Conway might get his debut though.

To be honest, if there’s any league that would prepare you for that kind of schedule, it’s the MLS. Granted the largest time difference is 3hrs. I think it’d be good to see him come off the bench for 10/15. 

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

We were excellent away to Holland until we made changes, we certainly weren't pish. We could have scored 4 or 5 that night and hit the woodwork twice. 

We were rotten vs Northern Ireland but qualified with a bit to spare and most of the defeats have come in friendlies against top ranked sides. 

We went to Cyrpus (a place we've struggled at in the past) and won at a canter, went to Spain and were extremely unlucky with decisions, qualified with two games to spare and then drew in Georgia )a place we'd never got a point before) and then drew 3-3 with the 2nd top seed in a dead rubber with a much changed side (both sides)

Lost to England, France & Holland in friendlies. Not great but last time we beat any of them competitively was 2007 nevermind a friendly.

We got the job done early. i've no doubt had we needed to beat Georgia and Norway the last two games, we would have.

We certainly aren't pish and vs Holland for example, we certainly weren't a tough watch. 

I expect, as previously mentioned, will be players trying not to get injured. A win would be great but it's not the be all and end all in a game like this for me. 

Bang on the money. 

36 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Bang on the money. 

Exactly, and our record in friendlies must be the worst of any half decent teams. (thank God for the Nations League) Only lost one competitive match in that sequence.

18 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

what he said

18 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

👍👍👍

Enough with the Negative Norman's. 

C'mon Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿