Scotland v Northern Ireland Match Thread - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Northern Ireland Match Thread

Tartan blood

2 hours ago, Andy of Lochcarron said:

When fit midfield is McGregor, Mcginn, McTominay - Gilmour just behind them but was MOM Friday, Ferguson seems to be doing well in Italy but he is nowhere near the aforementioned….just leaving for Glasgow now so hoping whatever team we put out we get the win we so badly need

I like McGregor, but if it's a straight choice between him and Billy Gilmour then Gilmour wins every single time.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, theabsentee said:

Totally agree with the Christie deeper switch, I'll be angry if Clarke doesn't try him in the position he is excelling in! 

I can see why Clarke tried him up next to Shankland, as he would do all the running and allow Shankland to just focus on doing what he does best.

I'm not against that in theory, but I think the benefit doesn't outweight the negative. Which is that McTominay and/or McGinn play slightly deeper. 

I know both them missed chances as well, but I'd rather they got a few more shots on goal than Christie. Who seems to be completely transformed into a non-scoring midfielder.

I'm curious to hear from people that have actually watched full games of Ferguson in Italy. I don't doubt the hype, but I've yet to see anything in a Scotland shirt that would convince me he should start ahead of McTominay, McGinn, Christie or Gilmour.

I'm happy for Armstrong to be our supersub as he pretty much always leaves an impression. I can't think of much of anything Ferguson has done. Obviously there is only so much he can demonstrate from the bench.

Went with the below for tonight which is meant to be 3-4-2-1 (with McGinn & Ferguson playing off CF Shankland) but the BBC formation selector didn’t seem to have that formation listed :

IMG_6017.jpeg.14e9189fcbbbd32bb652c720dda35720.jpeg

A couple of changes but not wholesale ones. We’ve not became a very bad team overnight that all our players need replacing.

GK - Would like to see Gordon start.

RWB - Some folk might go for Ralston due to Patterson’s poor performance against the Dutch but I’d keep to Patterson just in case Hickey is not back by the time the Euro squad is announced so the more exposure Patterson gets, the better.

RCB - Would be happy with either Porteous or Hendry here but just went for the latter.

CB - Despite his lack of game time at Leeds, I’d like to see Cooper given an opportunity here due to lack of options after Hanley & McKenna pulled out last week and also Souttar’s performance to forget against the Dutch.

LCB - Picks itself

LWB - Picks itself

RCM - Put McTominay in that role just moreso to try and fit Ferguson in the same lineup without having to drop him/McGinn & either Tierney/Roberson. Still would give McTominay the licence to get forward when the opportunity arises

LCM - Christie as the DM in a very similar role that he’s been playing at Bournemouth. We’ve got a very good DM here but it’s whether we utilise him in that role or not.

Attacking midfielders - McGinn & Ferguson. McGinn obviously in that role as he’s our biggest goal threat. Give Ferguson a start here in that advanced attacking role he’s been playing at Bologna. Lad deserves a start to see what he can do on the international stage.

ST - This was the tough one for me but I’ve still gone for Shankland. Despite him missing that crucial 1v1 against the Dutch, I’m not going to drop him for the basis on that. Still fancy him to slot those opportunities more than Adams & Dykes and hopefully gets a bit more service tonight than what he had against the Dutch. Overall minus that missed opppurtunity, he didn’t play bad. Just like everyone else in our team that night, we just never took our chances and our defence became as useful as a chocolate teapot in those final 15-20 mins.

Edited by DesiScotsman

4 minutes ago, DesiScotsman said:

Went with the below for tonight which is meant to be 3-4-2-1 (with McGinn & Ferguson playing off CF Shankland) but the BBC formation selector didn’t seem to have that formation listed :

A couple of changes but not wholesale ones. We’ve not became a very bad team overnight that all our players need replacing.

RWB - Some folk might go for Ralston due to Patterson’s poor performance against the Dutch but I’d keep to Patterson just in case Hickey is not back by the time the Euro squad is announced so the more exposure Patterson gets, the better.

RCB - Would be happy with either Porteous or Hendry here but just went for the latter.

CB - Despite his lack of game time at Leeds, I’d like to see Cooper given an opportunity here due to lack of options and Souttar’s performance to forget against the Dutch.

LCB - Picks itself

LWB - Picks itself

RCM - Put McTominay in that role just moreso to try and fit Ferguson in the same lineup without having to drop him/McGinn & either Tierney/Roberson. Still would give McTominay the licence to get forward when the opportunity arises

LCM - Christie as the DM in a very similar role that he’s been playing at Bournemouth. We’ve got a very good DM here but it’s whether we utilise him in that role or not.

Attacking midfielders - McGinn & Ferguson. McGinn obviously in that role as he’s our biggest goal threat. Give Ferguson a start here in that advanced attacking role he’s been playing at Bologna. Lad deserves a start to see what he can do on the international stage.

ST - This was the tough one for me but I’ve still gone for Shankland. Despite him missing that crucial 1v1 against the Dutch, I’m not going to drop him for the basis on that. Still fancy him to slot those opportunities more than Adams & Dykes and hopefully gets a bit more service tonight than what he had against the Dutch. Overall minus that missed opppurtunity, he didn’t play bad. Just like everyone else in our team that night, we just never took our chances and our defence became as useful as a chocolate teapot in those final 15-20 mins.

No Gilmour??

No thanks.

I think Clarke go with what he thinks is his tried and trusted, strongest team.  If we hadn't shipped the goals late on in Holland, I think he'd experiment more.  When we're 3 nil up at half time 😆.. i'd swap in Ferguson for Christie, Ralston for Patterson, Shankland for Dykes

Gunn

Patterson Hendry Cooper Tierney Robertson

Gilmour

Mctominator Christie McGinn

Dykes

We still  have two more friendlies I suppose to gain confidence too.  The only experimentation Id be tempted to do is if Tierney/Robertson get injured we're a shadow of the team without them.  Not sure if there is an alternative for that situation.

Edited by PapofGlencoe

4 hours ago, Goozay said:

I understand the desire for the same starting eleven with minimal substitutions, especially in defence, but do we really want injury-prone Kieran Tierney playing the full ninety minutes?

I don't. In fact i wouldn't start him.

We know what he can do and how important he is to us. Why risk him in what will be a physical derby match game?

I'd only bring him on if his replacement (probably Souttar) is struggling.

Probably resemble the team that started in Amsterdam, with Dykes in for Shankland.

Hopefully he does not make the rolling subs again, as I felt when we started going for sub galore, that is when we lost the game in Amsterdam.  

The dentists in Scotland are doing a roaring trade at nights now it seem

7 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The side I'd start with would be:-

Gunn

Porteous        Hendry           Tierney

Patterson                                                                                 Robertson

Gilmour      McTominay    McGinn

Ferguson   

Shankland

We look a bit vulnerable down the right hand side here

Edited by DoonTheSlope

2 hours ago, wanderer said:

Probably resemble the team that started in Amsterdam, with Dykes in for Shankland.

Hopefully he does not make the rolling subs again, as I felt when we started going for sub galore, that is when we lost the game in Amsterdam.  

Agree totally with this post, too many subs at the same time completely disrupted our system. Always the problems with friendlies. 

3 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I'm curious to hear from people that have actually watched full games of Ferguson in Italy. I don't doubt the hype, but I've yet to see anything in a Scotland shirt that would convince me he should start ahead of McTominay, McGinn, Christie or Gilmour.

I'm happy for Armstrong to be our supersub as he pretty much always leaves an impression. I can't think of much of anything Ferguson has done. Obviously there is only so much he can demonstrate from the bench.

Agree, even if he's brilliant in Serie A is that actually better than playing for Man U, Aston Villa captain and a great Brighton side?  Who'd have thought someone like that legitimately cannot get into a Scotland team  !😅  Could he not play Centre back!!

5 hours ago, sjd1972 said:

It was 1-1 in Romania.  It'll be a hard game but its a winnable one unlike most of our recent friendlies, the sort of opposition we should be taking on in friendlies.

Your spot on sir, apologies.

I wonder how a defeat would go down tonight, seems incomprehensible at this stage. As I’ve said don’t think this is an NI team to take lightly.

3 hours ago, DesiScotsman said:

CB - Despite his lack of game time at Leeds, I’d like to see Cooper given an opportunity here due to lack of options after Hanley & McKenna pulled out last week and also Souttar’s performance to forget against the Dutch.

LCB - Picks itself

LWB - Picks itself

No Gilmour? Sorry mate that's just ridiculous.

I think the team will be the same as started the other night.

I think Shankland will get another start. He did a lot right and not much wrong on Friday (despite hitting the bar with that chance) and I reckon Clarke will want to see him again. He knows the other forwards inside out.

3 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

This could go badly; Dykes has been well out of form this season.

Totally agree. Shankland is banging them in and needs to blood himself. Dykes is pish and should never be near our squad......

Can only think he wants to see whether Cooper is still worth his place in the squad as well, or wants a look at him in case McKenna, Hanley or anyone else miss the tournament. Bit baffled by that one. He may want a look at all 3 strikers over the course if both games. Would’ve preferred Shankland on from the start again.

I thought Shankland deserved another chance as despite his miss, he had a decent game and better than Dykes has had for a while. I hope he comes on as a sub.

Looks like it's between Hendry and Porteous for the RCB position and Clarke currently prefers Hendry. I think, if Hanley is fit, Souttar could lose his place in the squad.

3 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

Can only think he wants to see whether Cooper is still worth his place in the squad as well, or wants a look at him in case McKenna, Hanley or anyone else miss the tournament. Bit baffled by that one. He may want a look at all 3 strikers over the course if both games. Would’ve preferred Shankland on from the start again.

I think he realises he needs a proper defender in the centre and that rules out Hendry.