Georgia V Scotland - Match Thread - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Georgia V Scotland - Match Thread

Caledonian Craig

I know many fans are apprehensive or concerned by the injuries we have to key players and those selected to fill in. I have no such worries as our midfield and attack is at full strength. Obviously, Clarke's job is to ensure the team still go out onto the pitch with the right mindset in that a win is still important - not only to end a losing streak but also keep alive our slim chances of winning the group or ending up best runners-up of all groups at worst.

I'd like to see us start with a team like this:-

https://team-picker.files.

Lets get a win and lets show we can do it with a number of key players out.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My link does not seem to be working but I'd start with a back four, five in midfield and one striker with support coming from midfield:-

Clark

Patterson                    Porteous                    Hendry                               Taylor

McTominay                    Gilmour                   McGregor                        McGinn

Ferguson

Dykes

Think the team effectivly picks itself tonight.

Clark the most likely to start in goals, Patterson will replace Hickey, Taylor a shoo-in on the oppoiste flank, and will be most likely Porteous, Hendry and McKenna (maybe Cooper in his place).

Upfront it will be Dykes, and midfield picks itself, with maybe Clarke throwing in his usual curve ball of finding a place to slot in Armstrong at the expense of Christie or Gilmour 

Just now, ProudScot said:

I’d honestly start McCrorie tonight.

Dykes will get the nod upfront but he’s very out of form for his club and hasn’t scored in a while for us either so expect Shankland to be on relatively early doors.

Jacob Brown could be a good outside bet to start or replace Dykes at some point tonight.

Normally i would be putting a few quid on Georgia at 11/5 due to;

1 - Our record there

2 - Missing key players

3 - Only Spain have won there in 2 years

However there is no pressure on us and those selected will want to be at EURO 2024 so i'm going for a draw

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

I’d honestly start McCrorie tonight.

Dykes will get the nod upfront but he’s very out of form for his club and hasn’t scored in a while for us either so expect Shankland to be on relatively early doors.

I'd probably agree about McCrorie. 

Second choice at celtic or rangers is probably a higher standard than any other SPFL keeper. 

Pretty sure Brown is ahead of Shankland in the pecking order though. 

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

1 - Our record there

2 - Missing key players

However there is no pressure on us and those selected will want to be at EURO 2024 so i'm going for a draw

This. I didn’t realise this until yesterday. We’ll be doing very well to come away with 3 points I’d suggest. Really surprising stat, thought they looked dreadful at certain points at hampden. And if we lose it’s going to allow people not knowing that stat to stick the boot in easily 

Carver said that Shankland needs to take this opportunity to show what he can do. I'd therefore expect him to get some game time even though that would be out of character of Clarke.

The two games are dead rubberish and, no matter what they say, the players know this. It would probably be better to use players who will have a point to prove (Ferguson/Brown/Shankland etc)

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

1 - Our record there

2 - Missing key players

Aye, they have a very good home record which is one of the reasons that I originally thought they might challenge us and Norway for 2nd place. They have taken points off some pretty decent teams, both home and away. I'd like to think that we have improved enough to win tonight, even with a very weakened defence, but I wouldn't be surprised or even too disappointed with a draw. 

Given our record over there, a Georgia win shouldn't surprise anybody too much.

Despite dreading every game against Georgia, I think we will be fairly comfortable tonight so long as we don’t go with with the attitude that qualification is in the bag and one eye on the return flight.
Cant see many goals but expect a narrow win and hope for a decent performance 

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I'd probably agree about McCrorie. 

Second choice at celtic or rangers is probably a higher standard than any other SPFL keeper. 

Pretty sure Brown is ahead of Shankland in the pecking order though. 

Not sure that's right, i wouldn't have Scott Bain anywhere near the Scotland squad. 

Craig Gordon is also our number 2 at the very least when fit. 

Edited by Squirrelhumper

Funny one this with the lack of stress, when the draw and fixtures were made I really was dreading this one.

First time since 1982 we have a "dead rubber" to play when we have already qualified. Remember it well, Portugal away, Paul Sturrock scored in a 2-1 defeat. 

Of course we have had loads of "dead rubbers" when we were already out so brilliant to be in this position.

Cmon Scotland!!

7 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Not sure that's right, i wouldn't have Scott Bain anywhere near the Scotland squad. 

Craig Gordon is also our number 2 at the very least when fit. 

Fair point about Gordon. 

However I don't think there are many players on the Celtic and rangers bench that wouldn't start elsewhere and I don't think there are many if any good enough for either of the old firms benchs. 

33 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Fair point about Gordon. 

However I don't think there are many players on the Celtic and rangers bench that wouldn't start elsewhere and I don't think there are many if any good enough for either of the old firms benchs. 

We were talking about goalies though. You said Second choice at celtic or rangers is probably a higher standard than any other SPFL keeper. Which isn't entirely true given Celtic have Scott Bain as second choice. 

Team pretty much as expected with no surprises, other than he has gone with a 4-5-1 like we did with Ukraine in Krakow

Clark

Patterson, Porteous, McKenna, Taylor

McT, McGinn, Gilmour, McGregor, Chrsitie

Dykes

Edited by wanderer

2 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Team pretty much as expected with no surprises.

Clark

Patterson, Hendry, Porteous, McKenna, Taylor

McT, McGinn, Gilmour, McGregor, Chrsitie

Dykes

Hendry is on the bench. Besides do not think UEFA would allow us to start with 12 players.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

There isn’t a snowballs chance in hell McCrorie starts tonight and I wouldn’t want him to either given he’s had 0 mins of real game time this season. Also it would be a helluva slap in the face to both Clark and Kelly. I’d go with Clark personally 

Edited by kwhitelaw

1 minute ago, bigfingers said:

I hope Mctominay is not in defence.

If he does that then it must be because Hendry isn't fit. If he doesn't do that, then he has made an already weakened defence even weaker. I just hope he isn't underestimating Georgia's attacking potential?

Maybe he is just going all out for it. "If they score 2 we'll score 4" sort of thing?