Injury Watch - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Injury Watch

Caledonian Craig

I would argue that McGregor could be our most influential player. 

Nothing flashy, but joins the play between the CB's and up to McTom and McGinn..

He has started every important game for years, and Clarke never drops him. 

He would be big miss if injured.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, saintsparky said:

Nothing flashy, but joins the play between the CB's and up to McTom and McGinn..

I agree. He might not be our best player, but he is certainly one of our most important, maybe the most important one. He does loads of stuff off the ball, that many supporters either don't seem to notice, or choose to ignore.

27 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

It's not that McGregor hasn't been good for us, it's more that I'd rather lose him than Gilmour/McGinn/McTominay.  Well, I wouldn't have said that about McTominay until the last campaign.

Agree with this. McGregor has been great for us but if Christie was to come in for him, I don't think that's a big drop in quality. 

5 hours ago, saintsparky said:

Post-Euro 2020, CalMac went on a long run of being vital for Celtic and Scotland. There is every chance he'll come back from this injury and rediscover that form. But I definitely wouldn't have put him in the same bracket as those you mentioned.

As others have alluded to, I think Christie is capable of doing a similar job to CalMac. What Christie has, that pretty much no one else has, is duracell bunny intensity. Plus, we know he has the ability to create, when called upon.

I think Christie has finally found his perfect position. He was never quite a winger, and didn't have the scoring touch to be a proper forward. I think this box to box role suits him down to the ground.

12 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

Not that McGregor isn't important but if I had to choose one player out of him, Gilmour, McGinn and McTominay not to make the Euros it would probably be him.  Interested to see how Christie would get on in that role and now Clarke's hand may be forced.

Completely agree, honestly not that fussed if he doesn't make it 

20 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Christie also knows the system Clarke plays inside out, has bags of experience at international level and Clarke knows he can rely on him for a performance. Ferguson is a trip into the unknown on those fronts and to go into that unknown virtually untried in a major tournament would be a massive risk.

Ferguson will know the system inside out aswell. He has been in every squad for years now.

Christie has money in the bank as you say but maybe is best placed for one of the 2 deeper mid roles. 

What Clarke now has is good options. I see the likes of Christie and Armstrong as better for games where we need a high tempo, pressing etc. Ferguson better for games where we might have a good amount of possession and need to be abit more patient.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

Ferguson will know the system inside out aswell. He has been in every squad for years now.

Christie has money in the bank as you say but maybe is best placed for one of the 2 deeper mid roles. 

What Clarke now has is good options. I see the likes of Christie and Armstrong as better for games where we need a high tempo, pressing etc. Ferguson better for games where we might have a good amount of possession and need to be abit more patient.

I don't disagree with any of that but I want to see a marquee performance or impressive performance from Ferguson for Scotland first before I get excited and want to see him march into the side ahead of others who have already proven their worth for Scotland. For that to be given a chance to happen then Ferguson needs decent gametime in these upcoming friendlies. Maybe a start against Northern Ireland in.place of McGinn or McTominay and see how he fairs and maybe even second half V Netherlands.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

I am not sure if this hasbeen confirmed yet as cannot find confirmation online that Grant Hanley has withdrawn from the squad with an achilles injury. Also in the same article Steven Pressley who works in a development role at Brentford feels it is 'touch and go' if Aaron Hickey will make the Euros.

16 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I am not sure if this hasbeen confirmed yet as cannot find confirmation online that Grant Hanley has withdrawn from the squad with an achilles injury. Also in the same article Steven Pressley who works in a development role at Brentford feels it is 'touch and go' if Aaron Hickey will make the Euros.

No Hickey and no Tierney (not that unlikely) and we go out in the group stage without a bit of luck. Even if Hickey does just make it, he won't be match fit.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No big miss for me. The squad is already packed with CBs and I'd have Hanley beneath the rest and maybe on par with Cooper.

Hickey would be a massive blow though. I like Patterson but Hickey is a level above

1 hour ago, BryanBlessed said:

No Hickey and no Tierney (not that unlikely) and we go out in the group stage without a bit of luck. Even if Hickey does just make it, he won't be match fit.

If he's back on the grass by May he will be match fit. 

1 minute ago, bigfingers said:

If he's back on the grass by May he will be match fit. 

Fingers crossed but Pressley is claiming it's 'touch and go' on whether he makes the euros. That, to me, says that he won't be available to play before the Euros. England rushed back Beckham in 2002 and Rooney in 2006 and I think both have admitted they shouldn't have gone.

3 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

Fingers crossed but Pressley is claiming it's 'touch and go' on whether he makes the euros. That, to me, says that he won't be available to play before the Euros. England rushed back Beckham in 2002 and Rooney in 2006 and I think both have admitted they shouldn't have gone.

He also said he might make it he’s not ruling him out yet. If he’s fit in May and playing games in that month then he’s in. If he doesn’t then he won’t be in. 

Hanley pulling out isn’t a great loss for this squad, I wouldn’t rule him out of the Euro squad if fit but he’s behind Hendry, Souttar, McKenna & Porteous (and Tierney, obviously). He’s been a good servant but he’s 32, has missed most of the season and is playing in the Championship. He also played in the last Euros so there shouldn’t be any sentimental reason to have him in the squad as he’s played in a tournament already.

If Hickey’s not fit then that’s it, tough shit. I’d be gutted as I think he’s top class but I’d rather have a fully fit Patterson. Hickey could still make the squad but might not play until the knockout stages 😉

Posted (edited)

Carver today saying Hickey may be back training with Brentford's first team in two to three weeks. With Brentford lingering near the bottom of the table they won't have the luxury of easing him back in so it is far from inconceivable that Hickey will get a game or two under his belt before the end of the season. And then we have two friendlies he can get match fitness built up in so I won't be writing him off just now.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

9 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Would not believe anything that Pressley comes out with, the guy is an absolute walloper spouts the biggest pish out there

On 3/11/2024 at 1:30 PM, saintsparky said:

Fair do's.

IMO, I think most influential is a bit strong though. He has been great for Scotland for a number of years now and was very influential in the past, i think this was massively helped by having next to no competition for his place.

However, there has been games where I think we have been really outperformed in the midfield (Ukraine PO, etc), this wasn't down to anyone player but MCgregor for me lacks the mobility to be the deepest lying midfielder, he really doesn't have the energy to get around such as a Christie and would love for him to be given the nod instead but I wouldn't be sad to see Mcgregor to start at the euros either.

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Carver today saying Hickey may be back training with Brentford's first team in two to three weeks. With Brentford lingering near the bottom of the table they won't have the luxury of easing him back in so it is far from inconceivable that Hickey will get a game or two under his belt before the end of the season. And then we have two friendlies he can get match fitness built up in so I won't be writing him off just now.

Potentially great news, surely Carver wouldn't say it if he isn't close to a return.