Injury Watch - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Injury Watch

Caledonian Craig

Anybody know how Craig Gordon is getting on?

For him to make the squad he will have to displace Clark in the Hearts team and probably with at least 10 games of the season to go to allow Clarke to make sure he is back to somewhere near his pre injury self.

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Anybody know how Craig Gordon is getting on?

For him to make the squad he will have to displace Clark in the Hearts team and probably with at least 10 games of the season to go to allow Clarke to make sure he is back to somewhere near his pre injury self.

I didn’t see the game but he played the full 90 minutes against Spartans. Back on the bench for Hearts next 2 league games but at least he’s back and fit. 

Unless Clark has some bad performances or picks up an injury I can’t see Gordon forcing him out of the team. 

On 2/3/2024 at 1:37 PM, Texas Pete said:

I didn’t see the game but he played the full 90 minutes against Spartans. Back on the bench for Hearts next 2 league games but at least he’s back and fit. 

Unless Clark has some bad performances or picks up an injury I can’t see Gordon forcing him out of the team. 

I reckon Gordon would definitely have saved Dundee goal #1 yesterday and might well have saved #2.

We aren’t exactly flush with goalkeepers, so I reckon Gordon will be picked for the squad even if he doesn’t play between now and season’s end. He has been there and done it before, and as long as he can prove his fitness. Marshall’s selection after Norwich dropped him shows Clarke is happy to pick guys who aren’t actually playing.

18 hours ago, Yr Alban said:

I reckon Gordon would definitely have saved Dundee goal #1 yesterday and might well have saved #2.

We aren’t exactly flush with goalkeepers, so I reckon Gordon will be picked for the squad even if he doesn’t play between now and season’s end. He has been there and done it before, and as long as he can prove his fitness. Marshall’s selection after Norwich dropped him shows Clarke is happy to pick guys who aren’t actually playing.

I think theres a big difference between not playing due to another GK taking your place and not playing due to coming back from a very serious injury. Especially at Gordons age.

I would want to see Gordon in a run of games before taking him to the Euros as he would ideally be our 2nd choice GK. If Clark is 2nd choice then theres no point taking Gordon. You might aswell take a younger GK for experience.

8 hours ago, bigfingers said:

Any word of when Hickey is due back??

I keep checking the Brentford line up to see if he’s back. Still no sign. 

Defence is looking a bit ropey - Robbo is just back, Tierney is always in or out, Porteous no getting a game, Cooper no getting a game, Hanley just back after months out, McKenna hardly kicked a ball all season but just got a move, Hendry in a pub league (albeit playing against the likes of Ronaldo), Patterson no getting much game time……

It’s a concern. 

16 hours ago, McTeeko said:

I keep checking the Brentford line up to see if he’s back. Still no sign. 

Defence is looking a bit ropey - Robbo is just back, Tierney is always in or out, Porteous no getting a game, Cooper no getting a game, Hanley just back after months out, McKenna hardly kicked a ball all season but just got a move, Hendry in a pub league (albeit playing against the likes of Ronaldo), Patterson no getting much game time……

It’s a concern. 

Yeah wouldnt surprise if Souttar gets a call up. 

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

This update was posted hours ago and it does not sound good as Frank says he hopes to see him again this season.

https://www.brentfordfc.com/en/news/article/first-team-aaron-hickey-brentford-scotland-injury-update-fpl

You'd hope Thomas Frank is erring on the side of caution because that would be a huge blow. Furthermore, if he comes back just before the end of the season, will he really be match fit for the Euros?

The nightmare scenario is we have Hickey and Tierney out.  Typical that injuries have to happen in the defence and not the midfield where we have serious strength in depth. Not that I want any injuries at all!

5 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

You'd hope Thomas Frank is erring on the side of caution because that would be a huge blow. Furthermore, if he comes back just before the end of the season, will he really be match fit for the Euros?

The nightmare scenario is we have Hickey and Tierney out.  Typical that injuries have to happen in the defence and not the midfield where we have serious strength in depth. Not that I want any injuries at all!

Aye, I hope so too, otherwise we'll be going into the Euros with Nathan Patterson - who can't get a game with Everton - and Tony Ralston - who's not good enough - as our RBs. 😕

6 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

I’m hopeful both will be fine in 4 months. Both of them out would be a complete nightmare though and will make it difficult for us to have any impact in the euros. 

3 hours ago, bigfingers said:

I’m hopeful both will be fine in 4 months. Both of them out would be a complete nightmare though and will make it difficult for us to have any impact in the euros. 

Tierney probably the bigger loss because of the way we're set up with him and Robertson.  Patterson hasn't really yet become the player we hoped he'd be but he's decent going forward.

We could still get out of the group with neither but we'd probably be relying on a fair bit of luck. Fingers crossed both of them make it.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Burj_Alba said:

Looks like Jacob Brown is out for "the foreseeable future".  Maybe too late to come back and make the EURO squad. Got to be Shankland or Fraser to replace him.

Scotland Men's Football Team - BBC Sport

I wouldn't wish for anyone to be injured but could be a blessing in disguise for us as I rate Shankland and Fraser (if he has got his head straight) as better players anyway

Well I would say that should definitely rule Brown out. Such an operation will surely rule him out until late April at least. On top of that its not like he is guaranteed to walk into the Luton side or that his form for us has made him a must select if fit regardless of club form. That should mean sure inclusion of Lawrence Shankland but do not see where Ryan Fraser fits in given that Ryan Christie has occupied a striker slot in our squads for so long now. The hope for Fraser would be that Christie is named as a midfielder (where he has played consistently for Bournemouth) freeing up that striker slot for him.

15 hours ago, Burj_Alba said:

Looks like Jacob Brown is out for "the foreseeable future".  Maybe too late to come back and make the EURO squad. Got to be Shankland or Fraser to replace him.

Scotland Men's Football Team - BBC Sport

I wonder if Harvey Barnes will declare for us. He'd be 100% nailed on to make the squad in that case. We could end up with Dykes/Adams/Barnes/Christie. I'd put Shankland in instead of Dykes or Adams but I doubt Clarke would.

1 hour ago, BryanBlessed said:

I wonder if Harvey Barnes will declare for us. He'd be 100% nailed on to make the squad in that case. We could end up with Dykes/Adams/Barnes/Christie. I'd put Shankland in instead of Dykes or Adams but I doubt Clarke would.

For f.. ks sake. Give it a rest with that chancer. 

2 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

I think there is room for Adams, Dykes and Shankland, since Christie is more of a deep-lying midfielder these days (albeit he is still capable of playing further forward).

If Barnes decides he wants to play for us he'll almost certainly make the squad, if he stays fit. The only other player of his type available to Clarke is Ryan Fraser, and he has, with some justification, "issues" with him. 

It's a bit of shame about Jacob Brown. I'm not a great fan of his but I think he might have been useful to have in the squad as a utility kind of player. He's not much cop at international level as a striker but I believe Luton usually use him as a right wing-back; with Hickey doubtful and Patterson bench-warming for Everton every week, he could have been another option.

It’s a shame about Jacob Brown, wishing him a speedy recovery but his selection for the Euro’s probably in doubt now. 

My concern is Tierney + Hickey - vital both of them fit and have some game time prior to June!
If Hickey weren’t to make it and Patterson now appears to be 3rd choice RB at Everton, we could be lacking in that position - this could be left field but has Clarke been thinking about Archie Gray? I know he’s played for Engerland but would be a massive coup for us

8 hours ago, broraboy said:

It’s a shame about Jacob Brown, wishing him a speedy recovery but his selection for the Euro’s probably in doubt now. 

My concern is Tierney + Hickey - vital both of them fit and have some game time prior to June!
If Hickey weren’t to make it and Patterson now appears to be 3rd choice RB at Everton, we could be lacking in that position - this could be left field but has Clarke been thinking about Archie Gray? I know he’s played for Engerland but would be a massive coup for us

Be a huge coup, I've never seen him kick a  ball but read he could be a £50 million player within a season or 2.  Wont happen though, seriously can't see it though as he is very highly rated & loved by the English.