Injury Watch - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Injury Watch

Caledonian Craig

19 hours ago, theabsentee said:

Be a huge coup, I've never seen him kick a  ball but read he could be a £50 million player within a season or 2.  Wont happen though, seriously can't see it though as he is very highly rated & loved by the English.

I think the fact he isn't even 18 yet but he's a regular in a Championship side - and one that is on course for promotion to the EPL at that - tells me how good he is. I'd even go as far as to say he's possibly good enough to make our senior squad now, considering our options at RB outwith Aaron Hickey are the benchwarming Nathan Patterson and Tony Ralston.

I know he's his own person but given his family history there is something that just doesn't sit right about him representing anyone apart from Scotland, but especially England. It feels a bit like a Laudrup representing Sweden. 

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, scotlad said:

I think the fact he isn't even 18 yet but he's a regular in a Championship side - and one that is on course for promotion to the EPL at that - tells me how good he is. I'd even go as far as to say he's possibly good enough to make our senior squad now, considering our options at RB outwith Aaron Hickey are the benchwarming Nathan Patterson and Tony Ralston.

I know he's his own person but given his family history there is something that just doesn't sit right about him representing anyone apart from Scotland, but especially England. It feels a bit like a Laudrup representing Sweden. 

Definitely good enough now I reckon as no disrespect to Ralston who always gives his all but Gray will be a class above already .

I know what you're saying & maybe if Archie had grown up watching his dad have a successful Scotland career it would have influenced him but the reality was his dad who was also born in Yorkshire only got a couple of token caps under Berti Vogts. 

Been a lot happening with this over the last few weeks so trying to keep track. If we could validate my current understanding?

Robertson - played 87mins yesterday so assume back to full fitness

Tierney -  Back on the bench most recently, has been playing in a limited capacity?

Hickey - played only 9 games this season with an injury since October? Worrying if true

Brown - out for the season - OUT

Barnes (if eligible) - back playing recently

Not sure if Im missing anyone else of note

11 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Been a lot happening with this over the last few weeks so trying to keep track. If we could validate my current understanding?

Robertson - played 87mins yesterday so assume back to full fitness

Tierney -  Back on the bench most recently, has been playing in a limited capacity?

Hickey - played only 9 games this season with an injury since October? Worrying if true

Brown - out for the season - OUT

Barnes (if eligible) - back playing recently

Not sure if Im missing anyone else of note

Robertson has been back for a few games now and as far as I'm aware, Friday night was the first time KT has featured on the bench since his injury. Didn't get any game time though. Otherwise correct I think.

54 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

Ryan Fraser out for a month, so if he is to be recalled by Scotland it'll not be until the summer.

Screenshot_2024-02-29-12-38-13-831_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.2545036a5ff78b7b0fd7c40585c7c965.jpg

Shame, he was a cert for the Netherlands I think.

Well, opens up a slot for another 

On 2/23/2024 at 12:50 AM, theabsentee said:

Definitely good enough now I reckon as no disrespect to Ralston who always gives his all but Gray will be a class above already .

I know what you're saying & maybe if Archie had grown up watching his dad have a successful Scotland career it would have influenced him but the reality was his dad who was also born in Yorkshire only got a couple of token caps under Berti Vogts. 

Possibly, but having a father who had a successful Scotland career hasn't stopped Darren Fletcher's sons playing for England at age group levels!

I see the son of Jason Koumas, the ex-Wales midfielder, scored for Liverpool last night. Both he and Robbie Savage's son, Charlie, play internationally for Wales, despite being born in England (I'm not sure where they were brought up though, to be fair).

7 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well that opens up a striker slot in March as Brown is out too. Tommy Conway perhaps or Ryan Hardie?

I like Conway; he has pace but he's a wee bit inconsistent.

Hardie has scored more this season but would he offer anything we don't have already?

Totally agree, looks like Christie has finally found his most effective position. His form playing deeper has surely been too good to ignore by Clarke.

Don't know how you'll feel about it but reckon Frasers injury may mean if Ashley Barnes is going to commit to us this is his time.

8 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I hope Clarke does not take the easy way out and name Christie as one of the strikers again.

18 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

Totally agree, looks like Christie has finally found his most effective position. His form playing deeper has surely been too good to ignore by Clarke.

Don't know how you'll feel about it but reckon Frasers injury may mean if Ashley Barnes is going to commit to us this is his time.

I have seen no indication anywhere at any time that Barnes is ready to or wants to or has even ever considered wanting to represent Scotland. Just now it is the figment of some Scotland supporters' imagination. Given too the Anderson debacle who is a team mate of Barnes at Newcastle and that Barnes has already commited to England (unlike Anderson had) makes it even less likely.

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I have seen no indication anywhere at any time that Barnes is ready to or wants to or has even ever considered wanting to represent Scotland. Just now it is the figment of some Scotland supporters' imagination. Given too the Anderson debacle who is a team mate of Barnes at Newcastle and that Barnes has already commited to England (unlike Anderson had) makes it even less likely.

I thought there was more to it than just wishful thinking from fans , just googled it & it has been rumoured by various publications including talk sport. Though most rumours don't amount to much but do think if it's going to happen it will happen soon as Christie's switch of position has opened a place for a player like Barnes.

Misprint in my previous post it's Harvey B of course , Ashley B is the ex Burnley battering ram forward.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, theabsentee said:

I thought there was more to it than just wishful thinking from fans , just googled it & it has been rumoured by various publications including talk sport. Though most rumours don't amount to much but do think if it's going to happen it will happen soon as Christie's switch of position has opened a place for a player like Barnes.

Misprint in my previous post it's Harvey B of course , Ashley B is the ex Burnley battering ram forward.

Guarantee that none of the media reports have nothing coming from Harvey Barnes though to substantiate them. Until I see him in an interview speaking of a desire to play for Scotland he remains an England international. Any other stance is wrong in my book questioning his commitment to a cause he has already chosen.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

7 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Guarantee that none of the media reports have nothing coming from Harvey Barnes though to substantiate them. Until I see him in an interview speaking of a desire to play for Scotland he remains an England international. Any other stance is wrong in my book questioning his commitment to a cause he has already chosen. Fair

Fair enough.  I don't see Fraser as a similar type player to Conway or Hardie, they are in the mix with Adams, Dykes & Shankland & it's hard to see Clarke picking 4 centre forwards though personally I think he should for this month's friendlies.

Conway I've high hopes for but he hasn't been consistent enough so maybe Hardie is more deserving. I've never seen much of him but I believe he is much improved has plenty pace , works extremely hard & can finish. 

3 hours ago, theabsentee said:

Fair enough.  I don't see Fraser as a similar type player to Conway or Hardie, they are in the mix with Adams, Dykes & Shankland & it's hard to see Clarke picking 4 centre forwards though personally I think he should for this month's friendlies.

Conway I've high hopes for but he hasn't been consistent enough so maybe Hardie is more deserving. I've never seen much of him but I believe he is much improved has plenty pace , works extremely hard & can finish. 

Clarke's squads have always had four strikers - normally Dykes, Adams, Brown and Christie. Bown is out so Shankland is a shoo in. Christie is not a striker and shpuld (I hope) not be names as one so frees up a syriker slot and a chance to look at Cpnway or Hardie.

5 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Clarke's squads have always had four strikers - normally Dykes, Adams, Brown and Christie. Bown is out so Shankland is a shoo in. Christie is not a striker and shpuld (I hope) not be names as one so frees up a syriker slot and a chance to look at Cpnway or Hardie.

Do you have one of those cats that walk across your keyboard?  I know I do 😁

On 2/22/2024 at 8:08 PM, scotlad said:

He is quoted as saying it is 'his dream to play for England.' 

Mcgregors injury may keep him out till the international break, this may he a great chance to try a Christie/ Gilmour or Ferguson game time in the international break, it may also give the chance for Mcgregor to get some rest and hopefully come back a better player than what he has been this season. 

9 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Mcgregors injury may keep him out till the international break, this may he a great chance to try a Christie/ Gilmour or Ferguson game time in the international break, it may also give the chance for Mcgregor to get some rest and hopefully come back a better player than what he has been this season. 

Yes. Chance to try some other midfield options in these friendlies. Although McGregor has received some criticism for club form this seaon he was badly missed in Celtic's midfield today. He is such a pivotal player. I know they were down to 10 men for most of the game but he drives them forward and links the defence to the attack.Hope he comes back a bit fresher after an enforced 2 or 3 week break. 

7 minutes ago, thesaint said:

See Ryan Christie was substituted at half time. Don't know if it was an injury or he was just having a stinker. 

Manager said he had been ill, he looked off the pace tbf.