V France thread - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

V France thread

Bobby Russell's Lovechild

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That was class seeing us take the lead! 😁

Game has gone as expected since. We've passed the ball nicely but wasted it at key moments. Patterson has to get his head up at the end of the half and see the runners edge of box.

I hate how in friendlies it's like the refs are playing to a different rulebook. Ferguson should be booked by now and Giroud should be booked for obvious diving.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Nonsense. We need to test ourselves against the very best teams. We ain't playing Jamaica, New Zealand or South Africa in the Euros so wins against teams of that ilk to massage egos is not the way to prepare for the Euros.

In any case we beat Spain earlier in the campaign. We beat Denmark, Austria and Ukraine in recent times all of whom could be at the Euros.

Agreed. France, England and possibly Portugal are a class above everyone else in Europe at the moment. If we avoid those three in the group stages then I’d fancy us to compete with almost anyone else.

Just now, BookhouseBoys said:

Agreed. France, England and possibly Portugal are a class above everyone else in Europe at the moment. If we avoid those three in the group stages then I’d fancy us to compete with almost anyone else.

Cheers.

Plus we have the next Nations League to acclimatise for. There is no point shying away from big challenges like these.

7 minutes ago, Dillinger said:

That was class seeing us take the lead! 😁

Game has gone as expected since. We've passed the ball nicely but wasted it at key moments. Patterson has to get his head up at the end of the half and see the runners edge of box.

I hate how in friendlies it's like the refs are playing to a different rulebook. Ferguson should be booked by now and Giroud should be booked for obvious diving.

He's hardly kicked anybody. They really are turning football into a non contact sport. I've seen more tackles in a game of dominoes.

17 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Bull.

Fun factor? What fun is there in beating nobodies? What do you learn from beating nobodies? Nothing. If we are going to progress at major tournaments we need tests against the best sides out there. We were 17 mins away from getting a result away to Spain and beat them earlier in the campaign. We got turned over by Euro runners-up England and are getting soundly beaten by a strong French side against a weakened Scotland team. 

I'm not going to debate with you, each to their own ; but IMO, we there is a huge gap between us and those three teams.

What good does it beating nobodies? Aye, but what good does it do getting schooled by very good sides.

I'll be happy with us getting the group at the Euros.

France and England are miles better than anyone else in Europe, add in an away game in Spain, it was always going to be a horrific run of games. We have done some decent stuff tonight, but when France are coming at us, it is a it scary.

The game in Spain showed that we have nothing to really fear against most big teams. Lets just escape Lille without getting a doing.

2 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

What good does it beating nobodies? Aye, but what good does it do getting schooled by very good sides.

It gives our players experience playing against the very best players in the world and hone their skills against them and learn (hopefully) from mistakes and rectify their mistakes in preceding games. In any case I am not going to argue with Steve Clarke.

17 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Screenshot_20231017_210251_FotMob.jpg

Unfortunately I am listening to it on Radio Scotland . 

Despite the result those stats aren’t that bad. Possession is decent , much better than against Spain, and our big chance performance is phenomenal 🙂

We’re getting a doing tonight. We’ve been chasing shadows most of the game. Possession stats only OK because we are going nowhere. France can press us until we make a mistake, which is what happened for goal 4.

France are showboating in a frustrating way, but they have played well enough to justify it. They’ve looked very scary every time they go forward.