Spain v Scotland - Match Thread - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Spain v Scotland - Match Thread

romanticscot

So they're now saying the goal was disallowed due to offside.  I might be wrong but has a referee ever been sent to the monitor for an offside before?  Surely VAR just draw the lines and tell him if it's offside or not?  If he's went to the monitor it's because they've told him to review a foul and it now seems they're backtracking and trying to shoehorn in the offside excuse.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I think the horse has left the stable for us to finish 1st. Spain's goal difference is far too large for us to overcome IMO. If Norway beat Spain, then it's still do-able but I don't want to pressure of needing to beat Georgia away. I want qualification a certainty, that's all that matter for me

I want us qualified as well but a draw still gives us a chance to win the group. Although I think that's gone now sadly.

Just now, Fairbairn said:

So they're now saying the goal was disallowed due to offside.  I might be wrong but has a referee ever been sent to the monitor for an offside before?  Surely VAR just draw the lines and tell him if it's offside or not?  If he's went to the monitor it's because they've told him to review a foul and it now seems they're backtracking and trying to shoehorn in the offside excuse.

I was just about to post the same thing - if its offside i thought they told the ref and the ref didnt go over 

Whatever happened ref was a disgrace 

4 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Think though troops. Never thought I would gutted and feel robbed playing Spain away in a crucial Euro qualifier.. Just shows how far we have come !!!! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿👊🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿👊🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Excellent point, I was listening to Paul Lambert this morning and he said it would be difficult to get anything today but he was sure we would make it hard for them.  The scoreline, expected if I am honest, the stats don't tell the story of the match but the manner it came about hurts right now. We defended well.  Porteous is an asset all things considered.  I sure hope Robbo isn't crocked long term. The second goal was a bit of Scotland of old so I don't want to see much more of that. 

7 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

https://www.theifab.com/laws/latest/video-assistant-referee-var-protocol/#procedures

For factual decisions e.g. position of an offence or player (offside), point of contact (handball/foul), location (inside or outside the penalty area), ball out of play etc. a ‘VAR-only review’ is usually appropriate but an ‘on-field review’ (OFR) can be used for a factual decision if it will help manage the players/match or ‘sell’ the decision (e.g. a crucial match-deciding decision late in the game)

The referee shouldn't need to 'sell' an offside decision mind.

Additionally, the referee never gave an indirect free-kick for an offside [2:00 on video below].

Edited by Clyde1998

2 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

https://www.theifab.com/laws/latest/video-assistant-referee-var-protocol/#procedures

The referee shouldn't need to 'sell' an offside decision mind.

Was just about to post similar.  The ref won't necessarily go to the monitor to determine if it's offside but will to determine if a player is interfering or not.  So in that case fair enough however....if that is the case it must be one of the quickest VAR offside calls since it was introduced.

Just now, Fairbairn said:

Was just about to post similar.  The ref won't necessarily go to the monitor to determine if it's offside but will to determine if a player is interfering or not.  So in that case fair enough however....if that is the case it must be one of the quickest VAR offside calls since it was introduced.

Aye and my edit to that post showed the ref never gave an indirect free-kick for an offside; he gave a direct free-kick. They're just trying to find an excuse to rule that goal out.

16 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

You are correct, the ref only goes over to the monitor for a possible red card or foul that led to the goal that he hasn’t seen or if he’s got a call completely wrong - like ruling out a legitimate goal which should have stood (Dykes against Israel). They don’t go over to the monitor for offside goals, VAR do the lines and communicate it back to the ref whether it’s offside or not.

We’ve seen what happened with the Luis Diaz goal for Liverpool against Tottenham that got ruled out when it shouldn’t have been disallowed. We heard the audio on rhe communication that was made during that call between the VAR operator and VAR official. I’d be interested to hear the communication for our disallowed goal tonight as I have a feeling they are using the offside call as a backtrack now which you mentioned.

Edited by DesiScotsman

6 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Sucking off Spain like fuck at FT when the wrongly disallowed goal is the reason we’ve got nothing from the game, not the fact they played us off the park (which they did - but goals change games) 

What a load of shite to post 

Stewart was just as furious as us at that decision, he's still going on about it now. 

7 minutes ago, DesiScotsman said:

Away from the disallowed goal, which is the most infuriating thing tonight as it’s not been made clear and obvious - I hope Andy Robertson is doing okay. That shoulder injury looked worrying and I hope it isn’t anything serious.

Going by the way McGinn and Clarke responded to questions about him it doesn't sound overly positive.

8 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Get the Etcha Sketch line out - what a load of absolute bollocks

https://x.com/M4rtyman/status/1712575999655784874?s=20

Fuck me I actually laughed out loud when that link opened! What’s the fucking point? Seriously, can you imagine the shit storm if, for example, that was England that had that goal chopped off? They’d have every media outlet in the country rightly crying corruption! I’m fucking fuming!

11 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

TBF you can only see a bit of Hendry there.

If he is actually offside fair play to the lad as his erection must be sizeable 😆 

The ref can't be overruled by VAR for a foul then VAR overruled for an offside surely- it's beyond farcical as nae chance it happens the other way.