Scotland v England - Match Thread - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v England - Match Thread

romanticscot

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/ally-mccoist-brands-scots-snp-30927859

I really thought Ally was better than this. He is so far off the mark there.

He must live under a rock not to recognise the majority of Scotland want the monarchy abolished. That has nothing to do with the SNP. The anti-royalist sentiment in Scotland is why GSTK was booed. It is a song lauding being subservient and ingratiating to royalty. 

Ally way off the mark there.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/ally-mccoist-brands-scots-snp-30927859

He must live under a rock not to recognise the majority of Scotland want the monarchy abolished. That has nothing to do with the SNP. The anti-royalist sentiment in Scotland is why GSTK was booed. It is a song lauding being subservient and ingratiating to royalty. 

😂 Does that make Liverpool fans SNP then?

Ally is staunch. Simple as that.

9 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Gunn was the only one I would say got pass marks last night, with the only outfield players that even came close being Hickey (only issue is he just did not have the pace to mark Trippier) and McGregor.

England's game plan was to have at least 2 players on Gilmour all the time, and its no wonder our best 10 minute spell where we had them on the ropes was after he was subbed.

Tierney really struggled with holding Kane all night.

First goal felt like it was a result of England knowing the line's man was ball watching (he was VERY slow on raising his flag on a lot of decisions, and England caught on to this, hence their 1st goal looked very questionable, but they were going to get a goal out of that tactic eventually).... second goal just felt like the 1st had knocked the stuffing out of us and was more a panic scramble to get the ball away from Kane.

England played well, but did feel like we made them look like Brazil, even though they were just holding possession all night (no matter what, Dykes and Adams were on a hiding to nothing as we just could not keep the ball enough).

Bit harsh I think not to give Porteous a call out. I thought he had pretty good performance. 
Agree with the rest. 

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Final paragraph tells you everything.

‘He was then asked if he was singing God Save the King on the gantry. And he bluntly added: "Actually I was. Because I am British, you got a problem with that?"

That rivals the Harry Kane song in mortifying embarrassment. At a football game, a Scotsman singing our greatest rivals anthem. Its him that  is politicising things not SNP fans. 

Well thank christ I went to bed right after the game!  Some belter over-reactions gents 🤣 I get it though, nothing worse than losing to that lot.

My thoughts are:

Gunn was excellent, we've never really seen him under real pressure like last night so to see him pull off a number of great saves was comforting.  Even Spain and Norway didn't really bother him as much as England did.

Most of the players just didn't turn up.  It's disappointing especially as last night was a good opportunity to shut up a few people down south but hey ho, at least we got a performance like that out the way in a friendly rather than in Spain or Georgia.

Viaplay/whoever can continue to take my money, fuck me listening to those presenters and pundits was harder than watching the match!  Last night was meant to be a celebration of 150 years of the SFA and it was all about England!

McCoist was hard to stomach but I agree with the poster above that Souness was clearly just raging at the Scotland performance.  He did go a little bit overboard with reaction to England's performance but they did play well and Bellingham was excellent. 

England played well last night but on the flip side we were shite, so one bright side is they now think they're world beaters again.  Joe Cole gave us a preview of every English pundit from now until the Euros so the pressure on these lads will be immense as always and inevitably they'll shit the bed in their usual fashion next summer.

2 minutes ago, Marky said:

Bit harsh I think not to give Porteous a call out. I thought he had pretty good performance. 
Agree with the rest. 

Defensibly I do not feel him or Hendry played all that bad, just Tierney and Robertson struggled so badly that felt like the whole defense was bad.

It was just typical Southgate tactics, keep possession, and just keep prodding away at the opposition until you eventually find a gap for Rashford to get through (you can tell Maguires head is not in a good place at the moment, and even his team mates were apprehensive about passing to him, but its whats been drilled in to them to try break teams down).

15 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It was booed back when he played for Scotland and most of us still voted Labour. Fuck all to do with the SNP.

16 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Ally McCoist? The staunch, Royalist ex-Ranger was sooking on the English teat again on Talk Sport this morning?!  No chance 😜🤣

18 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Ally has said things like this a number of times over the years in various guises when it comes to the Scotland support.

He played in enough Scotland v England games looooooooooooooooooooong before the SNP were even close to being in a position of any creditable power to know it was going to happen.

6 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Funny thing is was he not in a video recently celebrating with those same SNP supporters when we scored V either Spain or Norway?

McCoist has always been a bit of a chameleon when it comes to the Scotland support....

Will happily "play the game" on Talksport, was more than happy to swan around Paris in 1998 dressed like a extra from the White Heather Club and play up for the fans, and every time there is a England v Scotland game, nobody is faster to say "if I had played at Wembley in 1996, things would have been totally different"..... but happy to throw the support under the bus the rest of the time.

Edited by wanderer

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Yeah I agree about Souness. I think he is more frustrated than anything . 

Based on last nights performance he could walk into our attack 😁

I put talksport on at 10am because I like when Simon Jordan is on but I promptly switched off as Jim White is off on one about booing GSTK. 

GTF with that shit

44 minutes ago, wanderer said:

McCoist has always been a bit of a chameleon when it comes to the Scotland support....

Will happily "play the game" on Talksport, was more than happy to swan around Paris in 1998 dressed like a extra from the White Heather Club and play up for the fans, and every time there is a England v Scotland game, nobody is faster to say "if I had played at Wembley in 1996, things would have been totally different"..... but happy to throw the support under the bus the rest of the time.

Did he really say that?

Either he is going senile, or I am?

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

Did he really say that?

Either he is going senile, or I am?

Yeah, he has said it jokingly in various guises over the year (his favorite is when asked why did did he run to Craig Brown after scoring against Switzerland, he responds with "to tell him that is why I should have played at Wembley") 

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

Is Chameleon another word for two faced runt?

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

He's a complete bellend. Souness too. 

16 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Yeah, he has said it jokingly in various guises over the year (his favorite is when asked why did did he run to Craig Brown after scoring against Switzerland, he responds with "to tell him that is why I should have played at Wembley") 

But he did play at Wembley, didn't he? Or is it me that's going senile? 

At least 80% of the Scotland fans were desperate for him to take that penalty. We had had a lot to drink right enough, but I didn't think I was that drunk?

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

At least 80% of the Scotland fans were desperate for him to take that penalty. We had had a lot to drink right enough, but I didn't think I was that drunk?

Yeah, I think he came on just minutes before the penalty, but he has had a habit of twisting the story to get another story out of it, that the game is so over shadowed with McAllister and Gazza, that he plays it he was never on the pitch.

On Talksport he has certainly played it a few times that he only played in the Swiss game.

5 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Checked ; 67th min sub for

……… john spencer

Think pen was earlier ?