Squad - Elliot Anderson called up! - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad - Elliot Anderson called up!

Just now, AlfieMoon said:

I agree with all of this. 

Only thing I’d say is that Scott Burns (DR journo) is hinting tonight that there is something in this rather than just click bait headline. He’s normally pretty credible. 

Not fussed either way. What will be will be. 

Ive no idea whether there is or not but surely if a journo knew something then it would be printed rather than hinted. Its literally there job to sell papers.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Possibly but I doubt it. Given how Clarke dealt with Fraser, I cant see Clarke standing for that, even less so covering up for the guy.

Again imo its more likely that Clarke is just playing it cool / smart. Concentrate on the group he has. By saying what he did Clarke doesnt look stupid if Anderson changes to England. It also sends the signal that we arent desperate etc

I just cant see any scenario where Anderson actively declares for us, informs Clarke who calls him up, Anderson trains for 2 days and then decides this isnt for me and fakes an injury. As I said, theres no way that if he fancied playing for England that his agent wouldnt have sounded the FA out prior to him declaring for Scotland.

People are acting like him turning up at lesser Hampden suddenly alerted Soutgate to the player and they contacted him to say, what you doing, we want to call you up soon.

All I’m saying is I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s in an England squad in the near future. 

Maybe he was genuinely injured. Find out soon enough. 

We needed a keeper so I can understand having our pants round our ankles for Gunn plus his dad has credit in the bank.  Plus he also came in at the start of a campaign.

We don't need to look desperate for Anderson to join.  Make the decision for him  if we think the injury is convenient - 'thanks for coming and all the best in your future endeavours trying get in the England squad'.  Sends a message to anyone else thinking about it - commit or fuck off.

I'd rather blood Doak to help him with his Liverpool career anyway 

5 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

All I’m saying is I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s in an England squad in the near future. 

Maybe he was genuinely injured. Find out soon enough. 

I know that a manager will pick the best players available, and eligible to him, but if he does appear in the next England squad, there should be no going back in for him. To pull out of one squad to join another would be a straight up insult. Hopefully it won't come to that, but there seems to be more traction in this story now, especially with Southgate coming out. He could of said that he's part of our setup now and wished him well, but instead he noted his admiration for him

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

24 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

I know that a manager will pick the best players available, and eligible to him, but if he does appear in the next England squad, there should be no going back in for him. To pull out of one squad to join another would be a straight up insult. Hopefully it won't come to that, but there seems to be more traction in this story now, especially with Southgate coming out. He could of said that he's part of our setup now and wished him well, but instead he noted his admiration for him

That’s my take on it, that something has been said behind the scenes, but who knows. I like what Clarke said, he likes the player and wants him involved, I suspect he’ll be called up again next time around so we’ll see what happens then. 

54 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

We needed a keeper so I can understand having our pants round our ankles for Gunn plus his dad has credit in the bank.  Plus he also came in at the start of a campaign.

We don't need to look desperate for Anderson to join.  Make the decision for him  if we think the injury is convenient - 'thanks for coming and all the best in your future endeavours trying get in the England squad'.  Sends a message to anyone else thinking about it - commit or fuck off.

I'd rather blood Doak to help him with his Liverpool career anyway 

Anderson has (if he sticks to his decision) chosen Scotland about 10 years before Angus Gunn was eventually convinced though if you count Anderson’s youth caps while Gunn was starring for England at youth levels then hoping for a senior England call up. 

Scott Burns who broke the story is doubling down on twitter, kind of saying he got it wrong, but also say its the fans fault for not reading his article properly and putting words into his report.

It was clear years ago he had a mole in the Scotland camp, but that person has now been moved on, as he does not seem to have anywhere close to the scoops he used to have.

Also I read his tweets more that he has had his knuckles wrapped by the SFA.

5 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

I trust Clarke to handle the situation appropriately (if there is one). He’s not known for messing about and will only pick players if he thinks they’re committed. 

Here is my take. If Anderson does not play for Scotland,he is a sneaky wee cunt. This should not even be up for debate. He pulled out because of an injury. End of !!!! I don't give a flying fuck that Mouthgate is interested..  He committed to Steve Clarke, if he does not, then he is a greasy wee fuck who we are better off without. We have enough young SCOTTISH talent coming through the pipe that would bleed for Scotland......

13 hours ago, BookhouseBoys said:

If I understood it correctly, the November games is where one cap will tie him to us. Maybe it’s worth just waiting until then to see what he really thinks and avoid some of the fannying about (fully acknowledging, though, that that might all be coming from the media and not the player himself). Doak could be getting that slot in October and then we can see what Anderson really thinks in November without half of the soap opera.

That's a great shout. Leave him out of the October squad when even playing in both games wouldn't tie him. Call him up for the November squad when he'd be tied with one performance. Wheat/Chaff. 👍

On 9/11/2023 at 10:36 AM, scotlad said:

The Daily Mail are apparently reporting that Southgate says he likes Anderson and his pulling out of our squad is something the FA will be "picking up" (which obviously means they're going to get in touch to try and change his mind).

Watch this space, I guess...🤷‍♂️

😆 The Daily Mail. with a 37% truth rate. Its no like them to be controversial is it.

Cmon Scotlad you are better than that 😉

36 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

😆 The Daily Mail. with a 37% truth rate. Its no like them to be controversial is it.

Cmon Scotlad you are better than that 😉

If it is in the paper - pretty much any paper - it is likely to be a lie, a half-truth or to be reported in some fashion that allows a certain agenda to be pushed. 90% of our media is owned by just 3 companies. The UK press is an absolute mess and it continually baffles me that in the world of instant news anyone buys these comic books full of yesterday's stories. 

Sports news is all that on steroids - a cornucopia of lying, mis-direction and nonsense all of which you already heard about elsewhere hours or even days earlier. I as much as anyone like a wee bit of speculation but always assume anything you read is nothing more than fabrication.

20 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Screenshot_20230913-213456_X.jpg

The Mails other arse cheek reporting :

‘The 20-year-old, who was born in Whitley Bay, just didn’t enjoy his time with the national team and decided very quickly it wasn’t for him.’

If that is true we are better off without him. 

I was actually quite looking forward to the squad announcement inevitably not having Doak in it, followed by days of discussions about the merits of him being in or not.

The Anderson callup certainly diverted the conversation in a different direction. Which would be fine, but it seems like all the debates were a complete waste of everyone's time if he isn't even going to be included in the near future.

I'm not going to talk in absolutes about any person that is eligible for more than one country. But for the time being, we hopefully will be more focused on guys like Doak, who we pretty much know will be in the senior squad. (Assuming he doesn't become our next Gauld)

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

‘The 20-year-old, who was born in Whitley Bay, just didn’t enjoy his time with the national team and decided very quickly it wasn’t for him.’

Said it before but probably looked at training set up and was like get me the fcuk out of here..

Its been a total distraction from us being on the verge of qualifying for Germany. Clarke wont like being made to look like a fool after declaring publicly how delighted he was that Anderson chose to be with us. 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Will wait for something official or see what happens with the next squads. I reckon he will play for us very soon still.

I'm of the same view. There were no direct quotes in that article, apart from those made by Southgate.

Until Anderson or someone speaking for him, or Steve Clarke himself, comes out and says he's not interested in playing for us then I'll keep an open mind.

14 minutes ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Said it before but probably looked at training set up and was like get me the fcuk out of here..

Its been a total distraction from us being on the verge of qualifying for Germany. Clarke wont like being made to look like a fool after declaring publicly how delighted he was that Anderson chose to be with us. 

Aye, but it isn't as if he hasn't been involved in the Scotland set-up before. The training facilities can't have come as that much of a shock to him.

It has been a bit of a distraction though and if - and I stress, if - he has gone back on his word to Clarke and in doing so left him with egg on his face publicly, then that is unforgivable.

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Very quickly indeed. He was with the squad for about 5 minutes.