Squad - Elliot Anderson called up! - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad - Elliot Anderson called up!

57 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Usual racists posting their poisonous shite, grown men ffs. Let’s all get behind the team and welcome these players, mon the jocks

So wanting Scots to play for the Scotland national team is racist against other nationalities now is it? 

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, stocky said:

FFS , gee it a break....

Eh? I have hardly mentioned it before it was brought up in the other thread. What's your problem with gauld? Guys in great form and probably deserves a shot in the squad.

Is this because he had a shit spell at hibs? Sometimes loan moves or even transfers dont work out for players at certain clubs. Doesnt mean their whole career should be written off.

4 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Eh? I have hardly mentioned it before it was brought up in the other thread. What's your problem with gauld? Guys in great form and probably deserves a shot in the squad.

Is this because he had a shit spell at hibs? Sometimes loan moves or even transfers dont work out for players at certain clubs. Doesnt mean their whole career should be written off.

Who would you drop to make way for him in the current squad that you feel adds nothing to the squad and has under-performed lately?

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Not true. Kids born in one country but parents from another could be conflicted.

Ok so he was born in England to English parents.......not scottish

1 hour ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Absolute pish. He made a choice to play for us. You reckon this kid wouldn’t back himself to be good enough to play for England when he’s starting to get game time aged 21 for one of the top teams currently in England. That would be a pretty weird attitude. 

Do folk not realise that when Scots go and live in England, they bring their kids up to be proud of their Scottish roots? This runs deep. He asked for some time to think about it, as did McTominay. He chose us when he could have waited to see. It’s not like he’s 27 and realised that England are never coming calling.

Deary me

Yes that's exactly what I think because if he was good enough England would be calling him up 😂 plays for Scotland, extra wages etc. I'm sure he's on a bonus of some sort when he starts playing international games.

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

Sad but predictable, unfortunately. You'd think someone who's good enough to play for a top EPL side deciding he also wants to play for Scotland would be universally welcomed, but I guess for some parochialism is more important than actually having a good team that qualifies for things.

Fuck that though. Much better to have a side full of average SPFL and English Championship players. Aye, we'd be finishing fourth in qualifying groups and sacking the manager every two years again, but at least we wouldn't be the eNgLAnD b TeAm!!!!1!!

He's as Scottish as plenty of others who either play for us or have in the past. He's also as Scottish as some people who support the team.

He's played age group level football for us on plenty of occasions too, so I don't think it's fair to say we're his second choice.

I'd much rather the Scottish National team was full of Scottish players, yes it's great we are doing well but it would be better if it was with Scottish players throughout the team. We are very diluted.

1 hour ago, Bzzzz said:

So wanting Scots to play for the Scotland national team is racist against other nationalities now is it? 

Crazy thought isn't it 🤷‍♂️

20 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Yes that's exactly what I think because if he was good enough England would be calling him up 😂 plays for Scotland, extra wages etc. I'm sure he's on a bonus of some sort when he starts playing international games.

I'd much rather the Scottish National team was full of Scottish players, yes it's great we are doing well but it would be better if it was with Scottish players throughout the team. We are very diluted.

I was born and raised in England and supported Scotland my whole life, off your first point im guessing ive been wrong this whole time - god i feel stupid 

43 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Who would you drop to make way for him in the current squad that you feel adds nothing to the squad and has under-performed lately?

Is there a max number of players a squad can have?

If there is then i would probably swap nisbet for him. Obviously different types of player but i reckon dykes, adams and shankland are enough for the lone striker role if we play that formation. Gauld can play the second striker role or attacking midfielder.

9 minutes ago, borojock said:

I was born and raised in England and supported Scotland my whole life, off your first point im guessing ive been wrong this whole time - god i feel stupid 

Are your parents Scottish?

What a pathetic narrow minded bunch some Scotland supporters are. Anderson played for us at youth level from U16 all the way through, he played once I believe for England U19s and after that played once for our U21s. He then asked for some time to concentrate on getting into the Newcastle team (something similar to what Hickey did and get slaughtered for). 

People on here couldnt wait to tear into him, stating what he thought even though he had never said or done anything to inform them. Saying that he was going to wait years and then when he never broke into the England team probably come play for us. When he then has choosen us at pretty much the earliest opportunity after breaking into the Newcastle squad all of a sudden the same people are saying its because he has assessed his options and concluded that he isnt good enough for England so will just play for us.

How about he wanted to concentrate on getting into the team and now he has he wants to play for us. This would be backed up by the FACT that he has played for us since he was young.

Its total nonsence that he has looked at the England team and decided he isnt good enough. He is highly regarded at Newcastle and in England. There is not 1 English player who he wouldnt have known about a year ago but would be aware of now. If anything the fact he has now broken into the Newcastle team would strengthen the argument for potentially being good enough for England compared to a year ago.

Now things could change, he might do a total 180 and play for England but lets stop with England reject / B team nonsence. He has picked us first because he wants to play for Scotland more than anybody else. 

3 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

What a pathetic narrow minded bunch some Scotland supporters are. Anderson played for us at youth level from U16 all the way through, he played once I believe for England U19s and after that played once for our U21s. He then asked for some time to concentrate on getting into the Newcastle team (something similar to what Hickey did and get slaughtered for). 

People on here couldnt wait to tear into him, stating what he thought even though he had never said or done anything to inform them. Saying that he was going to wait years and then when he never broke into the England team probably come play for us. When he then has choosen us at pretty much the earliest opportunity after breaking into the Newcastle squad all of a sudden the same people are saying its because he has assessed his options and concluded that he isnt good enough for England so will just play for us.

How about he wanted to concentrate on getting into the team and now he has he wants to play for us. This would be backed up by the FACT that he has played for us since he was young.

Its total nonsence that he has looked at the England team and decided he isnt good enough. He is highly regarded at Newcastle and in England. There is not 1 English player who he wouldnt have known about a year ago but would be aware of now. If anything the fact he has now broken into the Newcastle team would strengthen the argument for potentially being good enough for England compared to a year ago.

Now things could change, he might do a total 180 and play for England but lets stop with England reject / B team nonsence. He has picked us first because he wants to play for Scotland more than anybody else. 

You keep believing that 😂

Just now, Diamond Scot said:

If england wanted him he would be playing for them. Do you actually think we are his first choice?

Not that i mind, i accept we are going to be second choice for a lad who is born and bred english and only qualifies through the grandparent rule. I dont see the problem with that. Its the same with gunn and adams. 

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

If england wanted him he would be playing for them. Do you actually think we are his first choice?

Not that i mind, i accept we are going to be second choice for a lad who is born and bred english and only qualifies through the grandparent rule. I dont see the problem with that. Its the same with gunn and adams. 

Wheres your evidence to suggest this? Are you trying to say that England have only wanted him for one U19 cap since he was 15. He has been highly regarded for years apparently but has always played for us. 

If he wanted to play for them then he would have every chance should he become a regular for Newcastle which he has every chance of doing. He is certainly no worse than Harvey Barnes from what ive seen. If he had waited 3 years from now to make a decision id maybe agree with you but he hasnt. There was the same talk about McTominay at the time he was about to make his decision.

To answer your question. Ive got no idea who his 1st choice is but the evidence suggests us. Its nothing like Gunn or Adams who waited until later in their careers. Its much more like McTominay, McGeady and McCarthy who all made the decision early.

3 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Wheres your evidence to suggest this? Are you trying to say that England have only wanted him for one U19 cap since he was 15. He has been highly regarded for years apparently but has always played for us. 

If he wanted to play for them then he would have every chance should he become a regular for Newcastle which he has every chance of doing. He is certainly no worse than Harvey Barnes from what ive seen. If he had waited 3 years from now to make a decision id maybe agree with you but he hasnt. There was the same talk about McTominay at the time he was about to make his decision.

To answer your question. Ive got no idea who his 1st choice is but the evidence suggests us. Its nothing like Gunn or Adams who waited until later in their careers. Its much more like McTominay, McGeady and McCarthy who all made the decision early.

Its hard to tell, hes about to turn 21 and isnt an epl regular. He probably knows that his chances of becoming a regular for england is slim. I am happy to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume we are his first choice but truthfully I think that a lad born and bred in england to english parents will want to play for england. He already switched at youth level so hes not always been committed to us. 

It's not something I care about, i am happy to welcome him into our squad regardless of wether we are his 1st choice or not.

56 minutes ago, Kirk said:

In general players in England dont get extra wages or bonuses for playing international football unless its for England. Do you really think Newcastle would be paying a player an extra 20k per week or giving a 500k bonus because they play for Malta? The reason some players get a bonus (and its not massive in the grand scheme of EPL wages) for England caps is because of sponsorship.

Ive said before, if a players hearts not in playing for a country of their non birth like Anderson then there would be more reasons not to. For example every international break EPL players who arent internationals get days off and tend to fly out to places like Dubai etc. Even on his current wage Anderson will be a millionaire. He doesnt need international football. 

I think I've mentioned before that I taught a young lad who went on to play for the Republic of Ireland. His brother was the biggest England fan I've ever met. I didn't even realise he was eligible for Ireland but that was on the grandparents rule. He captained Ireland and always gave 100% for them, that's all I ask and I can see no reason why Elliott Anderson won't give that to us.

31 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

How so? McGeady and McCarthy had an equally tenuous link to Ireland but chose them over playing for Scotland. How do we know that the Scottish grandparent hasn't instilled a Scottishness into the lads parent? How do we know that the grandparent hasn't had so much of an impact on the lad that he wants to represent that grandparent on the international scene?

25 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Or we move Hickey to the left and Patterson starts on the right

This is the correct answer. Or we simply move to a back 4. Barring a lot of injuries, I don't think Taylor will likely get back into our strongest squad.

I think this 25 man squad will be pretty close to what the Euros squad will be. Hopefully number 26 will be Doak.

You'd imagine Gordon, Hanley, and Cooper might stake a claim when they are fit. And if Fraser and Turnbull find their form of a couple years ago, they might force their way back in. 

But I'd be pretty content if this was our finals squad.(plus Doak)

Edit: actually, the more I think about it, there are sooo many players that could easily force their way in after a few good months at their club e.g Brown, Doig, Stewart, Hardie, Conway, Hackney, Mebude, Hyam, Gauld(?) etc etc. Our player pool is easily the biggest it's ever been (this century)

Edited by Tartan blood

22 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

This is the correct answer. Or we simply move to a back 4. Barring a lot of injuries, I don't think Taylor will likely get back into our strongest squad.

I think this 25 man squad will be pretty close to what the Euros squad will be. Hopefully number 26 will be Doak.

You'd imagine Gordon, Hanley, and Cooper might stake a claim when they are fit. And if Fraser and Turnbull find their form of a couple years ago, they might force their way back in. 

But I'd be pretty content if this was our finals squad.(plus Doak)

Edit: actually, the more I think about it, there are sooo many players that could easily force their way in after a few good months at their club e.g Brown, Doig, Stewart, Hardie, Conway, Hackney, Mebude, Hyam, Gauld(?) etc etc. Our player pool is easily the biggest it's ever been (this century)

Which in turn makes it more prestigious to get into squads, caps begin to mean more, we will see less call-offs, attendances will get better, the average punter in the street will have a far greater interest...we are in the best position, player-wise since we last made a World Cup.

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

👍👍👍👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Sorry, McCaughey, I wasn't getting at you personally.

I have no idea why some people on here get such a hard on about Gauld, 

He's not picked for Scotland cos people that know more about football than you and me, don't pick him

There is a reason for that.

He's also not playing in a top league because people that know more about football than you and me don't fancy him.

Today's squad announcement is a positive announcement and we have folk complaining so and so isn't picked, 

This squad is the best this century, I believe, and should only get better.

Elliott Anderson was a complete surprise, but what a bonus as I can see him getting loads of caps. Thankfully this time there is no mention of Greg Taylor who seems a great lad, but nowhere near international class. In his place though I would have liked to have seen Josh Doig, a big powerful unit with good engine who makes signature storming runs. Ryan Jack is not the player he once was, and Hayden Hackney seems a better option for holding midfielder. So long as they are not playing in their recognised positions, Aaron Hickey, John Souttar, and even Kieran Tierney would all be great in the holding role, further reason to think about ditching Jack. Also, if we need to change shape, Ben Doak would give us something different up front. Other than that, a pretty good squad.

4 hours ago, Kirk said:

We really aren't mate.  Out of the current squad of 25 only 6 were born outside Scotland, and one of them (Tierney) was raised here.  Other countries have far more players playing for them who were born and raised in other countries, including many teams we could potentially be playing against. 

As far as the rules go the likes of Anderson, Adams and Gunn are as Scottish as anyone. Everyone who has ever played for Scotland has had some connection with the place, either through birth, heritage or upbringing. It could be worse: some countries cap players who moved there as adults simply because they qualify for a passport.

1 hour ago, HighlandScot said:

Elliott Anderson was a complete surprise, but what a bonus as I can see him getting loads of caps. Thankfully this time there is no mention of Greg Taylor who seems a great lad, but nowhere near international class. In his place though I would have liked to have seen Josh Doig, a big powerful unit with good engine who makes signature storming runs. Ryan Jack is not the player he once was, and Hayden Hackney seems a better option for holding midfielder. So long as they are not playing in their recognised positions, Aaron Hickey, John Souttar, and even Kieran Tierney would all be great in the holding role, further reason to think about ditching Jack. Also, if we need to change shape, Ben Doak would give us something different up front. Other than that, a pretty good squad.

Aye, Greg Taylor's a good pro and I can't think of him every letting us down but he's a club player really.  

Ryan Jack has probably peaked as a player, I think it's fair to say.  Hopefully young Hackney keeps on improving (and isn't tempted to switch allegiance!) because at the moment he looks the ideal replacement for Jack.