Steve Clarke for Sports Personality of the Year... - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Steve Clarke for Sports Personality of the Year...

eranail

Just a bit for fun before anyone loses their s***. Given there is no outstanding candiate then surely the gaffer is in with a chance? I reckon if every member of the travel club voted for him he'd be in with a shout!

He's not even listed by McBookie so big odds!

Country
AllBBC Sports Personality of the Year
AnytimeIn PlayTodayTomorrowWeekendCurrent weekNext week
All
AllOther

BBC Sports Personality Of The Year

To Win Competition

EW Terms1/53 Places

1 hour ago, todd said:

If we finish the rest of this group the way we've started, we should be a stick on for BBC sports team of the year if nothing else

We're not English or England so basically we are so far down the pecking order. We won't be team of the year, even if we qualify.

Why does anyone even care about this nonsense - I haven't watched it I would guess since the 90s. It used to be simple; a programme where we got to watch all the best sporting highlights of the year in which awards were given as a kind of afterthought - a reason for the format to work really. Now all the athletes have to pretend like they care about an award from the BBC - aye, I'm sure the World Cup winning / World Champion athlete that spent 20+ years training to win the thing they've just won really cares about a gong from a TV channel. It's pointless. And don't get me started on the dull as fuck argument every year about who can't win because they don't have enough personality. Jesus suffering.

As the years have went by it has turned into a huge pile of Englified cack which tries to out do the year before

An always watch has become a must not watch for me

On 8/12/2023 at 1:24 PM, Hertsscot said:

England women won the netball recently so they should be short listed.

We should really just have a Scottish equivalent as SPOTY, just like the rest of the BBC has just become more and more Anglocentric down the years

We used to but thankfully it was done away with about 15 years ago. 

9 of the last 16 SPOTY winners have not been English so I’m not sure how accurate your last statement is. 

I think one thing most of us will agree on is it’s a load of old shite and should be put in the bin along with the Scottish one. 

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

9 of the last 16 SPOTY winners have not been English so I’m not sure how accurate your last statement is. 

52 years out of 68 the winning nationality has been English - Andy Murray has skewed the results recently as he won it 3 times in 4 years.

The perfect analogy would be 1980 when Alan Wells became the first Britain to win the Olympic 100m Gold since 1924

Spoty went to Robin Cousins

2nd was Sebastian Coe

3rd was Daley Thompson

7 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

In the 30 years prior to that only 2 of them weren't English. Did you just choose your cut off point to suit your agenda?

On 8/17/2023 at 9:02 AM, Orraloon said:

In the 30 years prior to that only 2 of them weren't English. Did you just choose your cut off point to suit your agenda?

Whoever I was replying to said it was becoming more ‘Anglocentric’.  If anything it used to be more biased towards the English and it’s going the other way. Having said that I think the last 3 or 4 winners have been English so maybe it is going back to being that way.  

Thanks for your rather unpleasant contribution though. 

On 8/17/2023 at 2:09 AM, Ally Bongo said:

52 years out of 68 the winning nationality has been English - Andy Murray has skewed the results recently as he won it 3 times in 4 years.

The perfect analogy would be 1980 when Alan Wells became the first Britain to win the Olympic 100m Gold since 1924

Spoty went to Robin Cousins

2nd was Sebastian Coe

3rd was Daley Thompson

Yeah I didn’t mean it wasn’t biased towards the English but it hasn’t really been over the last 15 years or so. 

The whole thing is a load of old shite anyway. I really wouldn’t care if an English person won it for the next 100 years.

13 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Whoever I was replying to said it was becoming more ‘Anglocentric’.  If anything it used to be more biased towards the English and it’s going the other way. Having said that I think the last 3 or 4 winners have been English so maybe it is going back to being that way.  

Thanks for your rather unpleasant contribution though. 

Some folk seem to be awfy easy offended these days. 😉 What was unpleasant about it? I just made an observation about how you chose your cut off dates for your statistical analysis. Like yourself, I have very little interest in SPOTY, but I do have some interest in how numbers can be manipulated. 

4 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Some folk seem to be awfy easy offended these days. 😉 What was unpleasant about it? I just made an observation about how you chose your cut off dates for your statistical analysis. Like yourself, I have very little interest in SPOTY, but I do have some interest in how numbers can be manipulated. 

I wasn’t being 100% serious mate but I was referring to you accusing me of manipulating the figures to suit an agenda that I don’t have after you misunderstood the point I was trying to make. 

It wasn’t even my cut off it was just a stat I head heard and was repeating to explain why I didn’t think it was becoming more biased towards the English in recent years. 

SPOTY clearly is biased towards the English overall mainly because there are more English sportsmen and women than from the other home nations and the vast majority of people who vote are English. It’s not a recent thing though. 

• 4 months later...